Tell Me Why - DONTNOD -

On 31/08/2020 at 22:18, Garwoofoo said:

I'd love to see an appraisal of this game by someone who's actually a member of the trans community. Maybe once the whole thing has been released.

I've seen a great appraisal of episode one. https://kotaku.com/tell-me-whys-first-episode-is-too-real-1844867529

Tell Me Why portrays the particularly trans horror of going back to your hometown after you’ve transitioned with nuance and honesty. As a twin myself, I’ve been party to “you remember my brother” countless times, followed by the silent freefall of a person you’ve known since you were little reconsidering how they feel about you before your eyes. It’s frightening and painful to come back to a place you think belongs to you, only to feel like you’ve given up that claim because you grew up to be different than people expect.

I just finished it a few hours ago. I think it's an important game but not without it's problems. I bounced off it initially due to pacing in chapter one and I almost bounced again due to some frustration with information about the twins which I felt should have been revealed earlier.

But I stuck with it. The two leads are engaging and believable and I could really relate to how their mother was treated having grown up in a single parent family in a time and place when single mothers were treated poorly.  For me the payoff was in the third act and getting a complete view about their mother and her struggles.

As for my path through the game

Spoiler

I chose most of the empathic / sympathetic options. It seemed to me that most of the townspeople were trying their best and had in retrospect seen their role in failing a vulnerable member of the community.

The twins stayed closely bonded and I also went with Tom's vision as his story combined with the story in the attic.

As for the endgame regarding the big reveal

Spoiler

I had Tom pegged as their father by the end of episode two. And man, didn't he turn out to be a complete dick. Was very satisfied by the end game with the six months later epilogue.

I think it's a flawed game which might bore some before the third act but it's an important game and for some people Tyler and his place within the game is going to mean the world.

I'd love to see a sequel with some more mysteries solved by Alyson and Tyler.

• 2 months later...

If you want to give this a try https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tell-me-why-episode-1-is-now-free-to-keep

You can grab Tell Me Why episode 1 free for keepsies from Steam and the Microsoft Store. The price of the full season has now gone down from £24.99 to £15.49, and on top of that a 50% discount is running right now too.

That's the first third of the game so it's a decent chunk.

• 2 months later...

I usually love Dontnod's output but I've struggled to squeeze a lot of fun out of this one. I've only managed to get through the first episode and I just struggled to connect with any of the characters. Tha narration also feels very dragged out and just a bit meh. The best bits, for me at least, has been the flashback scenes when you play as the kids version of the siblings. 

5 hours ago, Rayn said:

I usually love Dontnod's output but I've struggled to squeeze a lot of fun out of this one. I've only managed to get through the first episode and I just struggled to connect with any of the characters. Tha narration also feels very dragged out and just a bit meh. The best bits, for me at least, has been the flashback scenes when you play as the kids version of the siblings. 

It does get better and a lot of it is spending time with the siblings and understanding what probably happened but it's a slow burn.