Tunic

Unofficial Who

1 hour ago, K said:

It’s a love letter to playing a Japanese import copy of Zelda: Link to the Past in the nineties. 

I can see that, the art very obviously takes influence from Zelda, and the game Manual idea is genuinely amazing and the best new idea in the game. 

The Player Manual is one one thing where I can see that idea being an obvious influence, but it’s only really surface level I feel. 

@Kevvy Metal Yes, the game has a lot more in common with Fez than Zelda. You need to complete the puzzles, man, the puzzles! Never mind about the combat. Turn invincibility mode on, study the manual carefully, and don't you dare use a guide.

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, Couk said:

Is anyone else feverishly refreshing the Nintendo / Playstation stores to see if this is ready to download? THEY SAID TODAAAAAY.

Yes :lol:

I mean, it’s downloaded on my Switch, but it isn’t unlocked yet.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

It’ll look incredible on the OLED :wub:

Apparently it doesn’t, sorry. Runs at half the frame rate (30fps) and looks fuzzy with a lower resolution. It’s a relatively demanding game, I think.

Aye, I went for the PS5 version given how lush I know the graphics are and given how well I know the Switch.

Anyway, a couple of hours in and I'm loving all the mystery, and how finding a manual page doesn't really necessarily help at all (yet). It's pretty tricky combat-wise even though I'm playing on Normal. There's so many secret paths... I'm going to need to draw this all out on paper aren't I.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

oh ffs

Don’t get too down. Looks fine in this vid:

(I’m sure it’ll get better performance on the Switch 2.)

edit: would 100% buy a physical release of this. 

Yeah, had a quick go and it’s fine. 30fps so the animations aren’t as nice, but it’s not a super-fast moving game. I’d been playing it on game pass on my phone in stream-o-vision anyway, and it looks better than it did on there. It’s just a perfect handheld game for me, so it’s an acceptable compromise.

1 hour ago, DarhkFox said:

This actually looks a lot better than it did in the direct. I started playing on game pass but it could be a nice one for the switch - is it getting a physical?

No plans as far as I know.

I wonder how they’d incorporate the manual into a physical copy (given you get drip fed it in the game, I mean)

2 minutes ago, Strafe said:

No plans as far as I know.

I wonder how they’d incorporate the manual into a physical copy (given you get drip fed it in the game, I mean)

I don't think a single Switch game even has a manual right?

4 minutes ago, DarhkFox said:

I don't think a single Switch game even has a manual right?

Hollow Knight did/does. And river city girls, though that was a limited run games collectors thing.

It’s not often but it does happen and I guess with the manual being such a big part of the game the temptation would be there to include it in some way.

I really enjoyed the first few hours of this on Xbox, but then I hit a few sticking points that have put me off touching the game in over a month. This is where I got to:

Spoiler

I did all of the Atoll and the Frogs' Domain.

I couldn't beat the Siege Engine after numerous tries.

Not sure of all my current stats but IIRC my attack and HP are both on level 4 or 5.

I found two different entrances to the Quarry, from different directions. Both lead to a HP-draining radiation/corruption area that I can't see how to progress past.

I can't do anything in the Burial Ground. IIRC there was a closed gate that I don't have any way to open yet 

I have a number of equippable cards, but I haven't figured out what any of them do except that the heart one makes enemies drop HP recovery hearts.

For those who've completed it, questions:

Spoiler

1. Should I keep persevering with fighting the Siege Engine, or is there something else I can explore elsewhere first? Or should I give in and enable the HP/stamina accessibility options to defeat it? 

2. When it comes to learning what all the cards I have do: should I to be able to figure them all out by trial and error? Or should I wait to find a manual page translation that'll give me explanations (if one exists)?

@Nick R I’d say turn on infinite stamina and see if you can’t give that boss a good whacking; the combat mechanics are not great, so if you’re still struggling there’s no shame in turning on invulnerability in the options too. The game is too good to be discouraged by the bad combat. 

As to your second point - I completed the game without engaging with it, couldn’t work it out, and later manual pages didn’t help enough for me to figure it out. 

I played the game without any of the aids until I got to the Siege Engine, where I could not beat it even after a dozen tries with different tactics and making sure I was as upgraded and equipped as possible.  I turned invulnerability on just to get past it and off again afterwards, but I turned it on again for the rest of the bosses as I wanted to get on with the game.

I played it on Gamepass and am tempted to get it again on Switch, as even though it won't be as fresh and I already know all the secrets, its still a really solid and enjoyable adventure that should be rewarded so we get more.

Actually on that subject, wasn't there talk of DLC for this game?  If so, I hope it comes to all versions.

I started playing this again last night, I had been stuck on the Librarian. I took him down!

At a loss of where in the hell to go next I looked briefly - so, so briefly - at a guide online. In doing so I discovered that I had managed to skip Siege Engine and his dungeon. So I’m doing that now.

Picked up the Switch ver because that’s my ecosystem of choice thesedays. I know I could get a better version elsewhere but I live in hope that the next Switch will offer similar boosted visuals/fps compared to PS/XB…. 

Anyway, Switch version looks totally fine to me. No regrets. 

Lovely soundtrack n’all.

I'm a few hours in as well, and I'm in the well as it turns out! Really love the manual idea, very clever. Finding the combat a bit tricky but just got the shield and a few upgrades which has helped a lot. So far so good, I like the music too which adds to that Fez vibe.

I've gotten well into this now. The difficulty really does spike once you're onto the first lot of bosses and beyond... my heart was beating like crazy after beating each one. I haven't lowered the difficulty yet, but it's tempting...

I am having a bit of an issue with the controls on PlayStation for this. It seems like R1 is both to heal using a potion and to use your shield. This effectively means you cannot use your shield if not on full health, as it will default to potion in that case. Is this an intentional design choice, or is there a way to remap it to use the shield when not on full health?

33 minutes ago, FalconGR said:

I am having a bit of an issue with the controls on PlayStation for this. It seems like R1 is both to heal using a potion and to use your shield. This effectively means you cannot use your shield if not on full health, as it will default to potion in that case. Is this an intentional design choice, or is there a way to remap it to use the shield when not on full health?

This is odd, it’s definitely a different button on Switch. Think it’s the R2 equivalent, and health is R1. Have you tried setting the controls to default in case you’ve accidentally changed them?

I’m enjoying this a lot more on Switch, probably because I’ve knocked the combat difficulty down. Found it pretty frustrating when I played some on Game Pass earlier in the year, but it’s pitched perfectly now, and I can enjoy the environments a lot more.

You still need to be careful and learn the attack patterns, but it isn’t as unforgiving. The default seems like a hard mode to me, really.