Tunic

Unofficial Who

37 minutes ago, Paulando said:

This is odd, it’s definitely a different button on Switch. Think it’s the R2 equivalent, and health is R1. Have you tried setting the controls to default in case you’ve accidentally changed them?

Ah, thank you! At one point I tried to change some controls, and somehow must have messed something up.

Still loving this - the combat is not great as people have mentioned, but I’ve twigged it’s essential to go slow and not get outnumbered and am now making good progress. In Dark Souls terms I am up to the point where Sen’s Fortress should be open. 

• 2 weeks later...

Loving this. 

when I first saw Laputa back in the day (on Tyne Tees TV one Sunday afternoon fact fans) I always thought it’d be great to have a wander around the ruined flying castle and this kinda has that vibe for me. 

Enjoying the obscured short cuts etc. 

Yeah, loving this too. Maybe 6-7 hours into it? Only just realised you could upgrade your stats though so I’ve been running around with everything set to “1” (albeit on the lower difficulty level).

Admittedly I’ve turned on no fail mode to defeat a couple of the bosses. I honestly loathe difficult bosses, so being able to do this is very welcome.

Wonderful little game.

• 2 weeks later...

Have done most of the main bosses (not the final boss though), I decided to try and find the secret treasures and the fairies. I found the manual page that explains the seeking spell, so I'm now revisiting areas and spamming the spell to see if it leads me somewhere interesting or not.

TrueAchievements has explanations for the achievement-related puzzles and most of them do this annoying thing of telling you exactly what you need to do, then adding at the end "There's a hint for this puzzle on page X". Maybe put the hint at the start of the guide and then the detailed guide afterwards for people who still want to try and figure it out for themselves.

Golden Path-related spoilers:

Spoiler

I have to admit lapsing a few times but I am trying to do as many as possible by myself. It's rewarding but occasionally frustrating at times.

• I had to read an explanation of how to reconstruct the Golden Path in the Lower Forest, but once I had the hint, I sat there with a piece of paper and the photos that I had taken with my phone to draw out the path by hand.
  • For the puzzle in the Great Library, is there any way of determining the orientation of the pattern? I worked out what I was supposed to be following, but I couldn't figure out the orientation of the puzzle so ended up looking up what to do).

On 26/10/2022 at 15:07, Popo said:

I would be tempted to put your golden path remarks in spoiler tags @Talvalin, because even what it is could be considered a spoiler, let alone how you interact with it. 

Noted, and spoiler tags added.

I have found over half of the fairies but I am approaching my puzzle solving limit and suspect I will have to look up solutions to the remaining puzzles (like the puzzles that have object clusters around them - it seems straightforward but were there any clues in the manual to explain how to approach those puzzles like some of the other hints that are dotted around?)

Finished this in two pretty mammoth sessions over the last couple of days. 

What a delightful experience all round. It's a meticulously crafted gem of a game and when its true secrets are revealed it's comparable to The Witness in its ability to part the very fabric of what you thought was before your eyes the whole time, only for the mysteries to unfurl even further than you imagined.

Late/endgame puzzle spoiler:

Spoiler

The Golden Path puzzle to get the true ending was fucking genius. 🤯

I had to look up one or two fairy puzzle sequences because they were a little too obscure, 

but other than that I feel quite proud of myself for piecing it all together with my own noggin. The instruction manual aspect is one of the most original I've come across in years and the scraps of paper with various esoteric scrawlings that littered the floor around me once I'd finished attest to how engaging that side of the whole experience was.  

I'm very thankful that accessibility options were included too, because the default combat difficulty is way overtuned and makes some encounters brutally fucking difficult. Usually I bump the difficulty up because I like an engaging challenge that encourages you to use the full gamut of a game's mechanics, but here I was perfectly happy to whack it down on occasion and just focus on the core of the game, which is exploring and uncovering the many secrets of the world.

Easily one of my games of the year, with not an ounce of flab on it, and Lifeformed's accompanying soundtrack of nostalgia-drenched synths and ethereal arpeggios is superb too. It's rare that you come across a game that fundamentally understands the critical elements of what makes its inspirations truly work, but they mixed the key ingredients of Fez, top-down Zelda, Dark Souls and The Witness and added a sprinkling of Metroidvania to make a potent and engaging brew.

Came back to this after making it maybe half way through (I'd just done the Atoll and was stuck on the Forest Shrine boss). I'd been enjoying it but aside from the cool use of the manual it hadn't really wowed me. That changed today and the game has gone from being good to being great. I know the Fez influence was already on display but it fully embraces it as you go on and it's awesome. On top of that the game just gets more interesting in general and really tests the old brain matter. I've got the credits now and in the process of doing the crazy endgame stuff.

The last boss was very tough but I decided to stop pulling my punches and start experimenting with some items I'd not used much, which just got me over the finish line. I just had a revelationary AHA! moment with one of the puzzles, just like Fez, I had a massive grin on my face. The exploration and secret hunting in this game is superb. Loving it! It took its time to get its claws into me, but it was worth the wait. My advice is that if it hasn't grabbed you yet, do stick with it if you like stuff like Fez, and don't be afraid to knock down the difficulty. Even with very respectable stats and items I found some of the bosses really hard, not Souls hard but definitely on the way to it!

Just going to harp on about how great the endgame is in this (no spoilers except in the spoiler box). I've been spending hours this afternoon making more progress. The puzzles are genius, up there with the Witness, Fez and The Outer Wilds in their devious design. They're the kind where you're staring at something, clueless, and suddenly it clicks and you have that brilliant 'oh my god' moment when the clouds part and the logic shines through. Or you're doing something elsewhere, and you see something and make a mental connection to another thing from ages ago, and you think... 'hmm, what if I try this...' - and it works!

Anyone who likes puzzle games owes themselves to get to the endgame of Tunic.

Now some spoilers for some 'Aha!' moments I had recently (endgame spoiler warning):

Spoiler

Of course it all started with the page that has the code for the locked doors on it, where it says Golden Cross at the top. I went around and got my 3 doors shown on the page screenshots unlocked. Then I got confused when the same code wasn't working on other similar doors. I had assumed the Golden Cross meant the pattern on the d-pad, which is like drawing a cross. After a while of being stumped, I finally noticed the pattern on the doors corresponded to the directions of the code, and that's when it clicked at last that the Golden Cross was the d-pad! And so my endgame adventure truly began!

I'd been pondering the diagram on the Atoll manual page with the symbols and the bird drawn next to it. This stumped me for a while, with me trying to chase birds around. There might still be a puzzle left with the birds but I left it for a bit. Then I spent ages trying to make correlations with the symbols on the diagram and the Atoll map, where the symbols are next to the monoliths, getting the vague sense that the symbols represented directions, or numbers. The problem was that the symbols repeated in different orders on each monolith on the map, which didn't make much sense. I gave up for a bit, until my Aha moment finally came when I resdicovered that weathervane type statue in the starting area, which had symbols which looked very familiar. Could the symbols represent North, South, East and West, or Up, Down, Right and Left? I went back to my Atoll diagram and finally saw how they matched up with the directions. I tried out the new code at the weathervane, and Yes! And of course, when you translate the Atoll map symbols by the monoliths, it makes perfect sense because they are Northwest, Northeast, Southwest and Southeast, so that's why the symbols repeat. This is great puzzle design. The answer is obscured if you just use the map, but combine it with the weathervane and you can finally get it. So satisfying!

I had a bit of a duh moment earlier when I tried out the seeking spell again to track down fairies. I'd previously just used it in the behind-the-waterfall room and thought it was just to get a chest in that room. So imagine my surprise and head-slap when I tried it outdoors, after spending hours combing the environment for potential fairy locations (only getting 4 or 5 in the process). Of course, its a homing device to lead you to the fairy locations. Argh!

I've slowly been piecing together the Golden Path puzzle, which is the final objective. I'd long noticed the golden bits on the map and had tried walking around on them, using codes whilst on them and so on. I'd also noticed a few of the pages that the golden grid links to had little codes hidden in the drawings (very cool) But with the extra knowledge of how golden cross codes can be displayed, today I made the big leap that its one giant code spread across the whole manual! Amazing! I will leave solving this until last, plus I'm missing a few manual pages I need for it, but at least I have the general idea for how to solve it when it comes.

I was poring through the manual for clues and my eyes caught again on the Save/Load option and the golden question mark. Yesterday I'd tried checking out the load game screen but didn't see any golden question mark. Today I tried again, and what's this?! A strange new profile to jump into? And of course, its another piece of the golden path, cunningly hidden away. Love it! I don't know why it didn't show up in the Loading screen yesterday, but maybe it was there and I just focused on my most recent save? 

Currently still tracking down fairies. I have maybe 7 so far. I'm doing good on the golden items though, only 3 left to get and a portal has appeared taking me to a mountaintop. Presumably once I get all the items, I'll be doing a boss fight or get some reward up there. Whoop!

Final thoughts, loved the twists with the story, a dark hidden vault underground trapping skelly foxes in the monuments. Facing off against mummy, only to get splatted and then find the pages revealing she was the ultimate evil all along and imprisoned! Take that Zelda! Mom, are we the bad guys? But based on the fact she slumps down after defeating you, and the other lore snippets in the manual, I'm guessing we can break the cycle and I don't have to be mum version 2 entrapped for ever. I'll save you, mum! Just after I take another look at this manual....

Finally got stuck. I think there's one thing I can still do though. I don't need hints just yet, but maybe it will come to that!

Progress:

Spoiler

I've got all the fairies, and all but two of the golden items. One needs page 28 (the overworld) and page 34 (the atoll) and I'm stumped. Might have to do with the 4 birds or music, I've tried loads of stuff with the birds, the tuning fork, trying the code from the big golden overworld slab in the hills on the tuning fork, killing the birds in a certain order, trying to scare the birds into specific locations. No dice yet! Can't see any hidden codes yet. This might be one where I actually have to decode the language, gulp.

The other golden item needs the underwater hint on page 51 and page 1. Page 1 I think is the only manual page I don't have yet.

I think I can do the golden path now so I'm going to attempt that next. There's still a few random bits left to pursue, like a code in the hints I haven't found a use for, and deciphering the language (oh god no - though I can see they've dropped hints on key words and how to get started). 

Made a little progress but finally in a spot where I think I need a wee pointer, just so I'm not spending days harping up the wrong tree.

Endgame progress/help requests:

Spoiler

So, I managed to get the second last golden item, from doing the wind chimes puzzle. I'd seen on here and in the settings menu that there were some audio related puzzles, and when I was wandering near the house, it finally clicked - golden wind chimes, I sense a puzzle! I quickly then made the connection to the musical notes in the Atoll manual page and then just had to turn up the sound, turn off the music and listen carefully. That was satisfying.

Now I've hit a dead end though. I spent hours and hours combing through the environment and the manual trying to figure out what to do. The only concrete thing I got was one solitary coin behind a hidden wall in the Cathedral.

I have three main things I need to do, but I don't know if they are gated off in a certain order. So firstly if someone could let me know if they are all do-able at this stage, that would be great. Here's the progress with them:

1 - The Golden Path. I spent ages mapping out the Golden Path in the manual and finally I'm pretty confident with it. Problem is, I don't know where to use it. Because its a huge code, every attempt takes a while and I'm never sure if I've made a mistake in input, or I've got a mistake in the code itself. I've tried the logical places based on what I can see in the manual pictures: On the steps to the Mountain Door. On the steps (or on top of the steps) to the golden temple in both light and dark worlds. Out and about. No luck so far. I would appreciate a hint as to whether I am on the right track or I'm missing some key bit of information about where to use it, or if I've used it in the right place but made an error you can let me know too.

2 - The Mountain Door. No clue on this one. If its not the Golden Path code I am stumped. I've tried all sorts of code ideas based on the surroundings, the manual pictures and so on. Is it possible to open at this stage?

3 - The final golden item. Which needs the user notes page with the cards listed on it, plus seemingly page 1 of the manual, which I don't have. I was guessing its related to the little box at the bottom which is partly submerged in water, and says 60 secs and shhh on it. This led me to spending over an hour trying out different locations I could partially submerge myself and just wait for a minute each time to see if anything would happen. I've tried it in a bunch of spots including with the muffle bell on, and ingame sound and music turned to zero. I even tried pushing the manual down with the joystick 'into' the water for a minute. No dice. Do I need manual page 1 to solve this, and if so, is it possible for me to find that right now?

With all of this time wasted with no results, I despairingly started decoding some of the language. That turned into an epic feat, and I'm only at the very start. I've read on here it's not necessary to do, but as I hit such a dead end I was hoping to glean something from the text boxes about the topics above. I have so far worked out a bunch of symbols, maybe 3 or 4 notebook pages worth. Unfortunately though, hardly any of them are useful for the bits I need to translate, aside from some common words, the nouns are the tricky bit. I have got the impression though that the Mountain Door is not related to the Golden Path (manual image aside), and the answer to the door can be found inside... somewhere I can't translate. The manual, maybe?

I'm assuming I don't need to decode the manual for the puzzles I've listed above? If that's the case, I wonder what I'm missing. I bet there's something obvious staring me in the face! Any tiny hints with the questions above would be appreciated, before I end up translating the whole thing and spoiling it for myself!

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Made a little progress but finally in a spot where I think I need a wee pointer, just so I'm not spending days harping up the wrong tree.

Endgame progress/help requests:

Reveal hidden contents

So, I managed to get the second last golden item, from doing the wind chimes puzzle. I'd seen on here and in the settings menu that there were some audio related puzzles, and when I was wandering near the house, it finally clicked - golden wind chimes, I sense a puzzle! I quickly then made the connection to the musical notes in the Atoll manual page and then just had to turn up the sound, turn off the music and listen carefully. That was satisfying.

Now I've hit a dead end though. I spent hours and hours combing through the environment and the manual trying to figure out what to do. The only concrete thing I got was one solitary coin behind a hidden wall in the Cathedral.

I have three main things I need to do, but I don't know if they are gated off in a certain order. So firstly if someone could let me know if they are all do-able at this stage, that would be great. Here's the progress with them:

1 - The Golden Path. I spent ages mapping out the Golden Path in the manual and finally I'm pretty confident with it. Problem is, I don't know where to use it. Because its a huge code, every attempt takes a while and I'm never sure if I've made a mistake in input, or I've got a mistake in the code itself. I've tried the logical places based on what I can see in the manual pictures: On the steps to the Mountain Door. On the steps (or on top of the steps) to the golden temple in both light and dark worlds. Out and about. No luck so far. I would appreciate a hint as to whether I am on the right track or I'm missing some key bit of information about where to use it, or if I've used it in the right place but made an error you can let me know too.

2 - The Mountain Door. No clue on this one. If its not the Golden Path code I am stumped. I've tried all sorts of code ideas based on the surroundings, the manual pictures and so on. Is it possible to open at this stage?

3 - The final golden item. Which needs the user notes page with the cards listed on it, plus seemingly page 1 of the manual, which I don't have. I was guessing its related to the little box at the bottom which is partly submerged in water, and says 60 secs and shhh on it. This led me to spending over an hour trying out different locations I could partially submerge myself and just wait for a minute each time to see if anything would happen. I've tried it in a bunch of spots including with the muffle bell on, and ingame sound and music turned to zero. I even tried pushing the manual down with the joystick 'into' the water for a minute. No dice. Do I need manual page 1 to solve this, and if so, is it possible for me to find that right now?

With all of this time wasted with no results, I despairingly started decoding some of the language. That turned into an epic feat, and I'm only at the very start. I've read on here it's not necessary to do, but as I hit such a dead end I was hoping to glean something from the text boxes about the topics above. I have so far worked out a bunch of symbols, maybe 3 or 4 notebook pages worth. Unfortunately though, hardly any of them are useful for the bits I need to translate, aside from some common words, the nouns are the tricky bit. I have got the impression though that the Mountain Door is not related to the Golden Path (manual image aside), and the answer to the door can be found inside... somewhere I can't translate. The manual, maybe?

I'm assuming I don't need to decode the manual for the puzzles I've listed above? If that's the case, I wonder what I'm missing. I bet there's something obvious staring me in the face! Any tiny hints with the questions above would be appreciated, before I end up translating the whole thing and spoiling it for myself!

Hopefully this helps a bit.......

Spoiler

The answers are all in the manual to see........and sometimes things are as simple as 1-2-3.

@Alan Stock

Spoiler

You're definitely on the right track regarding several of the things that are stumping you.

On the Golden Path, if you've drawn it out several times and have converted it to code but it's still not working when you press the buttons in the right order in a particular place (one of the places you've mentioned -

Spoiler

In front of the massive door at the top of the mountain)

then I would just check your code against the actual code online to see if you've made any mistakes; you've 'solved' the essence of the puzzle and know what you need to do, so I don't think just double-checking what you've done will hinder your sense of satisfaction when it finally works. That's what I did, anyway, and it turned out I'd just missed one of the inputs. Ultimately, it's up to you, but, speaking for myself, I wouldn't waste any more time decoding the puzzle fruitlessly when you've figured out what you need to do already. I can post the code on here if you're worried about spoiling things for yourself should you go hunting for it online.

Regarding the '60 secs, shh' puzzle, IIRC, this is one of the only puzzles in the entire game where you need to have translated the language. Try it once you have solved the Golden Path. Again, however, translating the entire thing for the sake of one puzzle was about my limit, and after having completed every other puzzle without using a guide, I was happy to look up a translated version of the manual by the time I got to this point. It seems like you've made a good start on translating it, though, so, again, it's up to you. As I say, do the Golden Path puzzle first...

What a brilliant game this is. I'm glad so many more people have got around to playing it now. It's definitely going on my GOTY list.

Thanks folks, just what I was looking for. It's the satisfaction of solving the final puzzles that is driving me here, especially as I have sunk so much time into them already. I'm not bothered about the ending but I do want to see through the puzzles I have just about cracked, and turns out I wasn't far off either. If I'd not done a similar thing with Fez of checking my status with others, I'd still be wandering around its game world trying to solve the final, impossible puzzle :lol:

Nice! Got it!

Spoiler

The Golden Path! I was going back over it in the manual to see if there were any dodgy bits when I came across page 22. Its the one where there are square hint icons with offset colours, like a printing error. Because of how the golden squares were offlaid at diagonals I didn't think they were valid as directions, so I just had it in the code as a single line up (each box representing part of a thick line) and a line left. But when I took a step back today, I realised you could take it as a slightly disjointed line going around the squares... which it is! Bit of a lame one due to the ambiguity, but at least I got there in the end, and all the rest of my code was correct.

Come on @therearerules, get to it!

Listened to quite a good podcast today from Game Maker's Notebook, an interview with the man behind Tunic. Has some interesting insights into his development process and his inspirations. Clearly it was a labour of love. The podcast channel also does other good interviews on all sorts of games. Podcast link:

https://interactive.libsyn.com/exploring-tunic-with-andrew-shouldice

The last thing for me left to do is to carry on deciphering the runic language, but its one of those tasks where I think about it, and then see God of War Ragnarok, or Disney+ or whatever on my PS5 home page after a long day at work, and I think.... maybe another day. Maybe it's something I can try to get into over christmas. It will be very hard, I think, but satisfying if I can at least crack some of it, and there's definitely clues to the language construction in the manual to help you along.

It seems that cracking the language construction might well be the key to figuring out a lot of the more unique nouns. Its a very interesting language because you can even see they've made runic versions of developer roles in the credits, and when entering new areas etc, so it is very fully formed. If you have to be a language whiz to solve it I might be screwed though, I'm just detectiving my way through it. But I've managed to crack other tricky things like number systems in puzzle games so I'm hoping they've given you enough clues and inference points to keep you going. It is very cool to look at a wall of gibberish and at least be able to pick out some key nouns and adjectives that I've figured out. 

I’m almost certain the lead designer used to walk behind cupboards and display cases at home hoping there’d be randomly hidden passageways behind them. The amount of stuff hidden behind objects in the foreground is ludicrous - I got lost for a good half hour because I hadn’t dry humped every square inch of one area and missed a critical pathway.

I’m maybe 66% of the way through at a guess?

Spoiler

It’s night, and I’m in the swamp.

You're maybe a bit more than that if you don't want to go secret hunting. If you do though it takes a good chunk of time, depending on how well you get on. I do agree when you have such a complex level design, it can be pretty hard to narrow down where to start looking, and actually quite hard to remember how to get back in some cases. In Tunic this was only kept at bay because I was quite thorough and happened upon critical paths as part of that. But there's more than a few of them which are arguably a bit too well hidden/off the beaten track. I remember having a similar problem with Link to the Past where the size of the game world made finding the right progression point extremely annoying in some cases.

Just defeated the Garden Knight after lowering the difficulty. Tbh, at the moment it feels like a derivative Zelda knock off with a beautiful manual. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I've also got real issues with the combat - I don't have the patience with this kind of game to git gud, but I've no idea if I'm meant to or if I'm missing a puzzle.

Most unsatisfying.

6 hours ago, therearerules said:

Just defeated the Garden Knight after lowering the difficulty. Tbh, at the moment it feels like a derivative Zelda knock off with a beautiful manual. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I've also got real issues with the combat - I don't have the patience with this kind of game to git gud, but I've no idea if I'm meant to or if I'm missing a puzzle.

Most unsatisfying.

It's a slow burn to an extent with the puzzling. It ramps up as you go onwards. And some of it is optional post game stuff.

If you're not into the combat consider the accessibility options. There are two big ones.

"No Stamina Restrictions" makes it so you can roll constantly.

"No Fail Mode" means it is almost impossible to die. Enemies are basically not a thing in this mode.

It sounds crazy in some ways but picking the second created exactly the game I wanted. Pure adventure. Didn't give a toss for the combat experience. I still took a little time occasionally to play with the enemies and figure out their attack patterns for fun. I just didn't have to get frustrated by it at all.

I've put on reduced combat difficulty for now, which seems decent, but falling behind the scenery and dying really is not good.

I've had enough people enthuse about the game to persevere, it's just the issue with playing with tropes is you still end up with a game full of tropes. When I see a hookshot target in an area spoiling that at some point I'll get a hookshot and have to return my heart sinks.

6 minutes ago, therearerules said:

When I see a hookshot target in an area spoiling that at some point I'll get a hookshot and have to return my heart sinks.

I guess it’s not a game for you then? When I see that I get super excited at the thought I’ll be unlocking abilities which will give me access to new areas and secrets later on.

I’ve set the combat difficulty to low, and I’ve been turning on No Fail mode for the bosses. Makes it much better for me.

Two things that help with the "return to new areas" stuff is:

• It's often not just items but knowledge. In some ways it's more like playing a point and click adventure where you go back and forth a bit and unpick the world.
  • The world is tiny. Once you know your way around it's very easy to get anywhere in a very short amount of time*

* at least with no fail :)