NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

10 minutes ago, Len said:

Exactly what I've done, I thoroughly recommend it.

To be fair, I'm looking for an excuse to get us a TV for upstairs. The 48" LG could double up as a bedroom TV and I could use it as a gaming corner the rest of the time.

Either way, I'll not be plugging the 3080 into a regular monitor. Ever.

3 hours ago, Len said:

Exactly what I've done, I thoroughly recommend it.

Same. My PC’s a giant Xbox in the living room on the cx55 now. Wife put a foot long scratch in the screen yesterday with her zip leaning over tv to yank the curtains. Fml

4 hours ago, Moz said:

Same. My PC’s a giant Xbox in the living room on the cx55 now. Wife put a foot long scratch in the screen yesterday with her zip leaning over tv to yank the curtains. Fml

I’m assuming the divorce papers are being drawn up first thing Monday.

Well it’s better than yesterday in that I can get a gsync signal out without the artefacts at 4k/76fps (gears of war - I do fine some of the benchmarking numbers on the web weird).

but there’s still drops in syncing as it switches to/from menus.

(hdr on, 4k/444/10 bit/limited)

later:

pc section of resolution, 100hz, and I have a desktop that’s not flickering every few seconds. Starting watchdogs and I get some flickering on and off though during the 31hz menu... (to the point where I’ve changed the hdmi cable and turned Gsync off again: it’s still better than yesterday in that I do have a >60hz feed at 4k)

it does feel like driver problems now though and not tv problems.

6 hours ago, Moz said:

Ditto

Well apart from the massive scratch bit

Well I've updated my mb bios, flashed the bios on the GPU to the new one just released, done a fresh driver install and updated my TV via the usb download linked above. I've tried every combination of hdr/resolution/gsync/vrr and refresh and I've gone from not displaying at all to now *just* randomly losing signal. The card is clearly fast as hell, but I just can't be arsed anymore. It feels like a driver issue so I'm just going to play on PS4 for a bit till I get the hoil back to start fiddling again and hope Nvidia release something to sort it out.

23 minutes ago, footle said:

Yes. At the moment it seems stable. Apart from watch dogs being interestingly “optimised”.

The pc mode on the oleds used to cause washed out /crushed blacks so I've been using vanilla game mode. Did that get fixed? 

15 minutes ago, Uzi said:

The pc mode on the oleds used to cause washed out /crushed blacks so I've been using vanilla game mode. Did that get fixed? 

I haven’t noticed it on the E9, the text is definitely worse on my desktop compared to the non rgb mode.

18 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

What HDMI cables are people using out of interest?

I'm using this. It was fine on my previous card, but I'm wondering if it might not be quite as high spec as advertised.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07T2FT84L?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Like @footle says the cable matters brand appears to be well regarded with 2.1 from my research

Try this if it reaches at 2M

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-48Gbps-7680x4320-Support-Black/dp/B07Q39C98P/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=cable+matters+hdmi+2.1&qid=1604162082&sr=8-4

Unfortunately my PC is about 4 meters away from my TV so I got this 5M cable:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YIWENTEC-Copper-48Gbps-Support-Projectors-8K/dp/B08C51MMXD/ref=sr_1_3?crid=9ABBQMIY753Q&dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+2.1+cable+5m&qid=1604162141&sprefix=hdmi+2.1%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-3

Now that I've updated my TV firmware going to see how well it works

Although it won't be for a few hours since these guys made me superstiious and said you need to unplug everything from the TV for about 7-8 hours to allow it to recharge like Goku from the frieza fight

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2019-lg-c9–e9-dedicated-gaming-thread-consoles-and-pc.3123168/page-178#post-60211771

Comedy.

So current settings after a day of playing:

TV - HDMI 3, PC input, HDR Game. HDMI deep Colour on; Instant Game response, on; Dynamic  Tone Mapping: On, Black Level: Auto.

PC - Windows HDR on; Nvidia Control Panel - Resolution, PC: 3840*2160, 120Hz; Nvidia Colour: 32, 10bpc, RGB, Full.

The TV power cycled itself. The PC's been rebooted at some point.

My only remaining problem is the TV not accepting a 5.1 or 7.1 signal from the PC (or when it does, not passing it over normal ARC to the soundbar), despite telling the PC it accepts it. Bar installing my own TV monitor profile, I don't think that's getting sorted, but if someone has a good idea...

Spent most of today fucking around with undervolting. I don't think my particular card is good for it, but following this guide, I've gone from:

1980 Mhz @ 1125mV (Stock Curve)
1890 Mhz @ 950mV (Base guide undervolt as per the guide)
1831 Mhz @ 862mV (current stable)

If these charts are to be believed, that's a solid 50W saved from the card to make it the same power draw as a Fury X and it loses... maybe 2-5fps depending on the game. That'll do, pig.

54 minutes ago, Siri said:

Spent most of today fucking around with undervolting. I don't think my particular card is good for it, but following this guide, I've gone from:

1980 Mhz @ 1125mV (Stock Curve)
1890 Mhz @ 950mV (Base guide undervolt as per the guide)
1831 Mhz @ 862mV (current stable)

If these charts are to be believed, that's a solid 50W saved from the card to make it the same power draw as a Fury X and it loses... maybe 2-5fps depending on the game. That'll do, pig.

I'm not up to speed on why under volting is utilised by people so please but excuse my ignorance but...

50W saving at 10 hours gaming a day x 365 days a year is still only a £27 saving in electric.  Why under volt when you could just spend £200 less and buy a 3070 instead?

3 minutes ago, JackG4 said:

I'm not up to speed on why under volting is utilised by people so please but excuse my ignorance but...

50W saving at 10 hours gaming a day x 365 days a year is still only a £27 saving in electric.  Why under volt when you could just spend £200 less and buy a 3070 instead?

Undervolting doesn't mean a degradation of performance to that of a 3070. It's just a 3080 that generates less power.

It also means the card runs at a lower temperature, and as a result the fans don't need to ramp up as often or at a higher RPM. Less power, less heat being chucked around in the case, less noise.

The three in combination, along with the end result still generating a framerate that's near negligible to stock, means for me personally I can hang onto the card for longer without need to replace it - I'd rather squeeze performance out of the card without applying additional voltage. the computer is also quite close to me and in an elevated position when I'm playing games, so I'd rather not have it sounding like a turbine when I'm not using headphones.

Was there something I saw a few months ago about certain old-ish (not very old) games having “extras” you could enable via Nvidia somehow to improve or alter the graphics? Like a kind of HD remakey magic sorta thing? I didn’t pay attention at the time as my card only just kept up with regular stuff, but now it occurs to me I could take a look. If I could remember what it was called, or anything in detail at all. 

24 minutes ago, milko said:

Was there something I saw a few months ago about certain old-ish (not very old) games having “extras” you could enable via Nvidia somehow to improve or alter the graphics? Like a kind of HD remakey magic sorta thing? I didn’t pay attention at the time as my card only just kept up with regular stuff, but now it occurs to me I could take a look. If I could remember what it was called, or anything in detail at all. 

I think it's one of the nVidia Experience overlays. Not sure it works on every game, but ones which are can be fiddled around with using filters. It's a bit like a photomode, but playable.

2 hours ago, Siri said:

Undervolting doesn't mean a degradation of performance to that of a 3070. It's just a 3080 that generates less power.

It also means the card runs at a lower temperature, and as a result the fans don't need to ramp up as often or at a higher RPM. Less power, less heat being chucked around in the case, less noise.

The three in combination, along with the end result still generating a framerate that's near negligible to stock, means for me personally I can hang onto the card for longer without need to replace it - I'd rather squeeze performance out of the card without applying additional voltage. the computer is also quite close to me and in an elevated position when I'm playing games, so I'd rather not have it sounding like a turbine when I'm not using headphones.

Undervolting and maintaining the same clock speed is a thing. Undervolting and reducing your cards performance (reducing clock speed) is, I'm sorry, stupid. As Jackg4 said, buy a 3070 if you can't afford the power requirements. But, something tells me if you can afford a 3080, £10 a year in electricity is a non issue.

3070 FE delivered today. The photos really don't do these things justice, can't get over how solid and hefty they feel considering the size. They feel like something worth the price tag for a change - seems odd that they're cheapest models.

From the 3080FE I agree, it’s like it’s machined out of one solid block or something, instead of bits of metal and plastic screwed and glued together with a few garish LEDs thrown in. Really nice-looking piece of engineering. Which is then stuck inside a case out of the way so it doesn’t really matter much. 

1 hour ago, IcEBuRN said:

Undervolting and maintaining the same clock speed is a thing. Undervolting and reducing your cards performance (reducing clock speed) is, I'm sorry, stupid. As Jackg4 said, buy a 3070 if you can't afford the power requirements. But, something tells me if you can afford a 3080, £10 a year in electricity is a non issue.

It’s not done to save on electric bills. Look at the website linked, getting more or less the same performance with the card running cooler and quieter.