Jump to content

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion


Recommended Posts

Yeah I have 3 undervolt profiles for my 2080ti running on air.

 

1700mhz @ 800

1800mhz @ 860

1900mhz @ 925

 

Ive tested all 3 and compared to its regular default voltage and clockspeeds I lose like 6 frames on the lowest setting and gain frames on the other two. All stable.

 

6-12 degrees cooler dependent on profile. In default profile it can hit 78 degrees @ 1050 and at 70+ degrees performance starts to dip itself, sometimes hitting under 1700mhz.

 

Its the best thing I did, card is way way quieter and cooler.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, footle said:

Comedy.

 

So current settings after a day of playing:

TV - HDMI 3, PC input, HDR Game. HDMI deep Colour on; Instant Game response, on; Dynamic  Tone Mapping: On, Black Level: Auto.

PC - Windows HDR on; Nvidia Control Panel - Resolution, PC: 3840*2160, 120Hz; Nvidia Colour: 32, 10bpc, RGB, Full.

 

The TV power cycled itself. The PC's been rebooted at some point.

 

My only remaining problem is the TV not accepting a 5.1 or 7.1 signal from the PC (or when it does, not passing it over normal ARC to the soundbar), despite telling the PC it accepts it. Bar installing my own TV monitor profile, I don't think that's getting sorted, but if someone has a good idea...

 

Ok after keeping my TV off and unplugged for a few hours happy to report the 5 metre cheapo 2.1 cable seems to be doing the trick

 

Just played a game (Mortal Shell) at 4k 120 FPS - HDR on - RGB 10 bit - Gsync - was hitting over 100fps at one (very short - majority is like 75 fps) point and showed no problems whatsoever - no flickering or black screens. The 3080 FE was getting toasty though - was hitting 75c at stock profile and was barely boosting to around 1800mhz but at this level of power I don't really care for now. I'm happy to lock most single player games at 60fps and forget about it.

 

Will test the sound tomorrow but all in all - everything appears to be working as intended now!

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YIWENTEC-Copper-48Gbps-Support-Projectors-8K/dp/B08C51MMXD/ref=sr_1_3?crid=9ABBQMIY753Q&dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+2.1+cable+5m&qid=1604162141&sprefix=hdmi+2.1%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-3

 

A

Link to post
Share on other sites

In fact just played Doom Eternal: Ultra Nightmare settings 4k HDR - stayed at a solid 117fps the whole time (my nvidia control panel limit for smooth gsync) 

 

What an experience - going to get the DLC pack for Doom Eternal sometime because the experience of this game maxed out completely at 120FPS is sublime

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IcEBuRN said:

I really like that new LG, it's just a bit too big for me.:( 37" would be perfect.

 

Yeah, I had to give up on the OLED dream unfortunately - certainly until they shrink things down to something like a 40'' (although the TV I did pick up is 43'' and that works pretty well). 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JoeK said:

 

Yeah, I had to give up on the OLED dream unfortunately - certainly until they shrink things down to something like a 40'' (although the TV I did pick up is 43'' and that works pretty well). 
 

 

I'm not sure they will. I struggled to buy a decent 43" for the bedroom. They seemingly dont make the quality panels in less than ~55".

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

I'm not sure they will. I struggled to buy a decent 43" for the bedroom. They seemingly dont make the quality panels in less than ~55".

 

 

To be fair, I bought a Panasonic 43" one - and whilst it's obv. not OLED, the screen is pretty great for my purposes. It's significantly better than the crappy old Samsung I had previously. Nice and thin too - goes well on the wall :D .

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JoeK said:

 

To be fair, I bought a Panasonic 43" one - and whilst it's obv. not OLED, the screen is pretty great for my purposes. It's significantly better than the crappy old Samsung I had previously. Nice and thin too - goes well on the wall :D .

 

 

I always wondered. What's the reason TV's aren't used as monitors much? They seemingly produce better colour, are loads cheaper, and have pretty good response times...A decent 32" 4k monitor (not full hdr) is about a grand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IcEBuRN said:

I always wondered. What's the reason TV's aren't used as monitors much? They seemingly produce better colour, are loads cheaper, and have pretty good response times...A decent 32" 4k monitor (not full hdr) is about a grand.

I've got a 75" LG 60Hz IPS TV and a 35" 3440x1440 100Hz monitor... 60Hz doesn't cut it for me regardless of the TV size. Even a small jump to 75Hz is life changing when gaming on a monitor. So yeah, for me, it's all about the refresh rate

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Gigabyte 34” 3440x1440 144Hz curved monitor arrived yesterday, and my MSI 3070 OC arrived from CCL just now.
 

Got everything else sat there, just need a nice AMD 5900x on Thursday, and I’m ready for my first PC build - a water-cooled, ultra-wide baby.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Uzi said:

 

Ok after keeping my TV off and unplugged for a few hours happy to report the 5 metre cheapo 2.1 cable seems to be doing the trick

 

Just played a game (Mortal Shell) at 4k 120 FPS - HDR on - RGB 10 bit - Gsync - was hitting over 100fps at one (very short - majority is like 75 fps) point and showed no problems whatsoever - no flickering or black screens. The 3080 FE was getting toasty though - was hitting 75c at stock profile and was barely boosting to around 1800mhz but at this level of power I don't really care for now. I'm happy to lock most single player games at 60fps and forget about it.

 

Will test the sound tomorrow but all in all - everything appears to be working as intended now!

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YIWENTEC-Copper-48Gbps-Support-Projectors-8K/dp/B08C51MMXD/ref=sr_1_3?crid=9ABBQMIY753Q&dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+2.1+cable+5m&qid=1604162141&sprefix=hdmi+2.1%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-3

 

A

That seems normal I think, mine's the same. Try undervolting it a little if you're happy for 60fps+. Mine sits at around 65c and I've not noticed any problems with performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jonamok said:

My Gigabyte 34” 3440x1440 144Hz curved monitor arrived yesterday, and my MSI 3070 OC arrived from CCL just now.
 

Got everything else sat there, just need a nice AMD 5900x on Thursday, and I’m ready for my first PC build - a water-cooled, ultra-wide baby.


I’ve gone for the 32” Samsung Odyssey G5 (1440p, 144hz, non-ultra wide).

 

Also looking to pick up the 5900x on Thursday, but still no joy on the graphics card front :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the Samsung 49in CRG9 for about 18 months which I loved. Then decided to upgrade to the Samsung 49in G9 but also tried it against the 48CX OLED and ended up sending the G9 back. There is absolutely no comparison, stunning. And works great for both games and productivity stuff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

It was the fucking shitty fake hdmi 2.1 cable. Finally all set. Perfect 4K HDR 120Hz Gsync. 

 

Phew.

 

Something I've noticed too is that these custom 3070's have the same cooling as the 3080's and it's complete overkill. 100% GPU utilisation and the card temp stays in the 50's with the fans at 30-40%.

 

 


You could make a fantastic small scale ‘living room’ PC with a 3070 in, for sure. Ample power, quiet as hell and able to do anything you want really.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

It was the fucking shitty fake hdmi 2.1 cable. Finally all set. Perfect 4K HDR 120Hz Gsync. 

 

Phew.

 

Something I've noticed too is that these custom 3070's have the same cooling as the 3080's and it's complete overkill. 100% GPU utilisation and the card temp stays in the 50's with the fans at 30-40%.

 

 

Makes sense there is 80 to 100 Watts difference between the cards! All the custom cards should have amazing cooling on the 70 series down and the amd cards

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

It was the fucking shitty fake hdmi 2.1 cable. Finally all set. Perfect 4K HDR 120Hz Gsync. 

 

Phew.

 

Something I've noticed too is that these custom 3070's have the same cooling as the 3080's and it's complete overkill. 100% GPU utilisation and the card temp stays in the 50's with the fans at 30-40%.

 

 

 

What did you go for? I need to get a decent cable, do they do hdmi 2.1 at 10m?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I have a 5M one that works well at the top of the page.

 

I don't think you'll succeed at 10 - full HDMI 2.1 spec is 48GBS and with 4k 120/HDR/10 bit/VRR you're really pushing a lot of data down a cable. The longer that cable is - the harder it is for that data to transmit successfully. More affordable cables are copper and they can only carry so much bandwidth over a distance and optical cables have a lot more reach but they're expensive and you need some kind of active repeater which I don't think exists for HDMI 2.1 spec yet.

 

Basically you'll struggle at 10M - I'm surprised the 5M one works as advertised. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/10/2020 at 12:21, Colonel Panic said:

Who are the "good" manufactures these days from a warranty POV? My current card is an MSI GTX 1070 and it's been great but don't have any illusions of brand loyalty. 

 

I think folk have said EVGA are good to deal with and warranties are transferable. I'm sure it was @Uzi who mentioned dealing with their customer service was pretty painless.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.