NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

On 09/11/2020 at 16:02, Mike S said:

Is this pretty much everyone who wanted a card now with one in hand? And the handsome FE ones mostly too?

No. I'm continually being fucked despite being at my desk for every single drop since launch.

15 Nvidia checkouts failed because they wouldn't accept my credit cards for some unknown reason.

2 NBB orders cancelled because I'm not within Germany or Austria.

2 LDLC orders cancelled because I'm not within France, Belgium, Luxembourg or Spain.

1 Scan order didn't go through because I'm not in the UK.

Between everyone getting either GPUs, Xboxes or PS5s I'm almost at the point where I stop coming on to the internet.

8 minutes ago, Fallows said:

No. I'm continually being fucked despite being at my desk for every single drop since launch.

15 Nvidia checkouts failed because they wouldn't accept my credit cards for some unknown reason.

2 LDLC orders cancelled because I'm not within France, Belgium, Luxembourg or Spain.

Between everyone getting either GPUs, Xboxes or PS5s I'm almost at the point where I stop coming on to the internet.

Could you not ship to a german parcel forwarding company? Quite a few people were using one on telegram when buying those germany only gpus from Amazon DE?

10 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Could you not ship to a german parcel forwarding company? Quite a few people were using one on telegram when buying those germany only gpus from Amazon DE?

Yeah, they got cancelled out.

My next strategy is to align the address on my TransferWise virtual CC to one of the Hermes drop-off points in Germany. At checkout I can then bypass the delivery option and select local pick-up instead. I'll then have to drive to either Dusseldorf or Dortmund for collection, both are an hour away. Once home I'll request an updated invoice with my company and VAT details which I hope they won't have an issue with, as I'm relying on the tax deduction for it to fit within my budget.

I "think" I just managed to grab a Gigabyte Eagle from Amazon France for £527 delivered.

I'm limited to 2 slot cards due to my case so was only this or the FE I could get.

My bank originally queried the transaction and blocked it which was lucky as it then gave me time to load up my fee free Revolut card and change to that, saving another 18 quid.

Delivery due monday

1 hour ago, Lying Cat said:

Yeah, that's lovely.

I've always been a little leery about AIOs as a friend had on leak and destroy a whole bunch of stuff. It was a first generation one though, and I understand they were all pretty flakey, fragile and terrible.

I know they're a much better prospect now, but I struggle to get away from giant air coolers.

I hadn't even thought about it leaking. I am now though, thanks.

Honestly, the single biggest reason I went for this AIO was the potential for fun with the animated LED display and, given that all I have done today is play with that (and the fan and RAM lights), I'd say it was worth the outlay. The cleaner look was second consideration and last was the actual cooling performance. I strongly suspect that a half decent air cooler would outperform this plus you'd be able to show off some fat fans front and centre. Noctua's beige and brown beauties could, for example, add a bang on trend 70's vibe to a case..

1 hour ago, spanx said:

In the first shot it looks like a monster with long red legs is chilling angrily on your GPU

Yep! 

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

That sucks.

I can't believe it is being made so difficult to order something across the borders within the EU or that there is no availability in the Netherlands.

Not that it's any consolation but I decided well after they had sold out that, despite it's hideous appearance and size,  I actually really needed a PS5 and Demon's Souls but there's been zero stock since. I'll be avoiding Discussion on PS5 day for sure.

57 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Love this! Nice build :hat:

Thanks! I am very happy with it indeed. More so as I have never bothered with lighting before for fear that it was a bit tacky and for the 'younger set'. I'm all in now though and loving it.

Even my keyboard is a scene...

9 minutes ago, Len said:

I'm good, was only joking! :D

With the caveat that it is obviously all your fault if anything, ever, happens @Lying Cat

Obviously. Plans are already in motion Len. I've been using conditioning phrasing on you in here for the last month or so.

All I need to do is say the right word and you'll snip those tubes. After all, there's no reward in the risk.

2 hours ago, Mallet said:

So, rumours of a 3080ti with 20gb vram to counter AMD, I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.

Lets see if they can make more than the 10-odd they'll need to send to reviewers. Nvidia don't need another SKU to counter AMD, they need to make some product available. Brand loyalty would carry them this time round no matter what.

I assume all the nonsense on Mac is because you can't format the drive as NTFS so big files are an issue. There's some terminal shite you need to do if I recall from reading the thread the other day.

You should try using UNetbootin for MacOS (along with the Windows.iso) first before any of these online guides.

23 minutes ago, idiwa said:

@Mike S how did you sort your Windows boot issue (from a Mac created Flash drive)?

I'll be knocking one up tomorrow. 

I used my old PC to create it as it was a real ballache to do using a macbook. There is certainly no sensible, easy, method for the non technical/lazy which was hugely annoying.

On a more positive note, the full Windows install from the booting up with the USB inserted to typing my Windows password in took an amazingly impressive fifteen or so minutes. Twenty at the very, very most. A Windows install on the old PC would take well over an hour, probably closer to two.

I am now plugged into the OLED and it is absolutely glorious (I may have some tech questions tomorrow though).

whilst a 3080ti with a proper amount of ram would be nice, and possibly a worth upgrade to a 2080ti.

What they actually need to make is a 3060 and 3050ti, as those are what will sell in the numbers to continue being the top 9/10 cards on steam!

Heck, they have 17/20, with the rx580 being 10th, and 20th going to....*drum roll* the MIGHTY Intel UHD Graphics 620...yeah lol

19 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

whilst a 3080ti with a proper amount of ram would be nice, and possibly a worth upgrade to a 2080ti.

What they actually need to make is a 3060 and 3050ti, as those are what will sell in the numbers to continue being the top 9/10 cards on steam!

Heck, they have 17/20, with the rx580 being 10th, and 20th going to....*drum roll* the MIGHTY Intel UHD Graphics 620...yeah lol

Agreed,

The top end cards get all the press and hype but the 50 and 60 series are the work horses that the majority will buy.

On 10/11/2020 at 10:51, jonamok said:

These are the guides I used (though it mightn't work either of course - fingers crossed): 

But yes, doing it from a PC (an option I simply don't have) is much easier.

This is a hell of a lot of ballache... I don't get why he's doing it this way.

Just download a 10 day trial of Paragon for Mac (allows Mac OS to read/write and format in NTFS) format your USB drive via Paragon or Disk Utility (once installed all NTFS etc options will be available in Disk Utility too) and then after mounting the Windows 10 iso drag its content into the USB stick.

Piece of piss. 

Edit - As Paragon is rather cheap (I'm sure it used to be 30-40 quid) I'll just buy it as I'll be doing photo and video editing on the PC and then using on the Mac.

cc @Mike S

Thanks for the C9/Windows set up tips @Uzi all worked perfectly. It's really quite something to be playing a 4K game with everything maxed out at 120fps and HDR to boot on a 65" screen. Genuine game changer for me having spent the last ten years on 1440p 60Hz 27" non HDR monitors.

I was lucky to not have any of the sound issues @footle  highlighted so that was a relief. I plugged the HDMI into HDMI 1 (the TV route everything to the receiver via eARC on HDMI 2), checked the sound settings in (I think) the Nvidia control panel, ticked the 5.1 box instead of stereo (there's also a 7.1 option) and it has all worked fine in the 3 or 4 games I've tested. I've never had surround sound for PC gaming before so this is yet another upgrade. 

Control all maxed is just about the most impressive thing I've seen - almost distractingly good looking. Looking forward to getting into that and glad I held off buying until I had a system that could do it justice. DLSS is literal magic as far as i can tell..

With Game Pass  and a TV based PC I don't think I need my One X anymore.

4 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Thanks for the C9/Windows set up tips @Uzi all worked perfectly. It's really quite something to be playing a 4K game with everything maxed out at 120fps and HDR to boot on a 65" screen. Genuine game changer for me having spent the last ten years on 1440p 60Hz 27" non HDR monitors.

I was lucky to not have any of the sound issues @footle  highlighted so that was a relief. I plugged the HDMI into HDMI 1 (the TV route everything to the receiver via eARC on HDMI 2), checked the sound settings in (I think) the Nvidia control panel, ticked the 5.1 box instead of stereo (there's also a 7.1 option) and it has all worked fine in the 3 or 4 games I've tested. I've never had surround sound for PC gaming before so this is yet another upgrade. 

Control all maxed is just about the most impressive thing I've seen - almost distractingly good looking. Looking forward to getting into that and glad I held off buying until I had a system that could do it justice. DLSS is literal magic as far as i can tell..

Get Red Dead 2 on there pronto.

I know there’s no ray tracing on it, but it’s just such an extraordinary feast for the eyes  it really doesn’t matter :)

I thibk DLSS uptake this time around is going to be key for Nvidia. It looks very much as though AMD are capable of pushing as many pixels as they are (and more efficiently!), but DLSS is just another level. The performance increases are nuts.

I suspect with AMD so close to them team green are going to be really pushing that advantage. I mean, if they're not making it as easy as possible to just slot into games, they're mad.

Just now, JoeK said:

Get Red Dead 2 on there pronto.

I know there’s no ray tracing on it, but it’s just such an extraordinary feast for the eyes  it really doesn’t matter :)

I love RDR2 and put an awful lot of hours into the Xbox version but finished it a long time ago so I could well be due a double dip replay.

The Valhalla Assassins Creed looks pretty damn spectacular too, shame about the gameplay which is unexciting to put it mildly, but as I'm trying it via the £12.99 Ubisoft monthly sub it's not like I've paid over the odds for it.

3 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

but DLSS is just another level. The performance increases are nuts.t

It's extraordinary tech.

I tried Control at native 4K and, whilst it did look a bit sharper, the frame rate wasn't playable. Using DLSS to magic 4k out of 1080p and it is buttery smooth albeit with a slight softening of the image which, for Control at least, adds a cinematic edge. 

6 hours ago, JoeK said:

@Mystacon

Well, those M.2s turned up today looking absolutely fine :)

It now takes just fifteen seconds from pressing the power button to typing in the password. On my creaky old PC it would be pushing on for a minute, followed by many, many minutes of treacle like response as it got itself in order...

Whilst a clean Windows install will help I suspect an awful lot of the speediness is down to the jazzy drives.

Next thing I'd like to see in the PC game space is the sort of instant resume (after booting of course) that consoles have had for years and years.

38 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Good man. A 3080 or equivalent type pc is like a series xxx. Plug it into a TV with a controller and it just annihilates the reason for having a xbox.