NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

I cancelled my Amazon France Gigabyte Eagle 3070 at £530 as my sensible head said the performance difference wasn't enough to cover the extra i'd have to add once I sell my 2080.

In hindsight I made the right call as just picked up the same card from UK Amazon via their global store for £469!

Delivery estimate was first week of December which I can live with as of the only 3 cards that would fit in my case (this, FE and Zotac) this is by far the better one with the triple fan set up

Thrilling update: Computer still not built. The new motherboard had a dodgy M.2 port (both M.2 drives work, just not in one of the ports), and the motherboard is now out of stock at retailer. They've got stock incoming, so shouldn't be too long. These are truly interesting times.

Also, I dropped my toast in the dog's water bowl this morning and didn't have any more bread.

v sad.

6 minutes ago, Gabe said:

What resolution do you run at, @Opinionated Ham Scarecrow? And how are you finding the jump from your old 2070 Super to the 3070?

I run at 4K and QHD and to be honest, coming from a card like the 2070 Super the main difference is being able to run newer GPU intensive games at either stupid FPS or with a load of headroom at 60fps. Also ray tracing is a lot more viable. I couldn't play WD Legion with the framerate and detail I wanted with the 2070 Super so had to sacrifice it, but the 3070 manages it no problems at all.

I'm not sure I could entirely recommend the upgrade, but I got the 2070s for 425, sold for 260 so it was still 2080ti performance for £670 if that makes sense.

1 minute ago, gooner4life said:

Did any of the lucky few who managed to snag a 30 series card get a Black Ops Cold War code they would be willing to sell?

If eBuyer sort their shit out and answer my email, then if I get it I'll let you know!

3 hours ago, gooner4life said:

Did any of the lucky few who managed to snag a 30 series card get a Black Ops Cold War code they would be willing to sell?

if its like the other freebies, it ties to your GeForce experience account, and "needs" the hardware there to verify it

9 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

Thrilling update: Computer still not built. The new motherboard had a dodgy M.2 port (both M.2 drives work, just not in one of the ports), and the motherboard is now out of stock at retailer. They've got stock incoming, so shouldn't be too long. These are truly interesting times.

Also, I dropped my toast in the dog's water bowl this morning and didn't have any more bread.

v sad.

Sometimes (depending on motherboard) some of the M2 ports and some SATA 3 connectors on the motherboard cannot be both populated. Had this on my motherboard when I put my M2 drive in when I first got it. Had to unplug one of my SATA drives and move it to a different connector. Worth looking into. Although if you only have M2 drives on your board then it won't be that! :)

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Sometimes (depending on motherboard) some of the M2 ports and some SATA 3 connectors on the motherboard cannot be both populated. Had this on my motherboard when I put my M2 drive in when I first got it. Had to unplug one of my SATA drives and move it to a different connector. Worth looking into. Although if you only have M2 drives on your board then it won't be that! :)

There IS a SATA SSD, but I didn't have it hooked up and still no joy. It's winging it way back anyway, so I'll either get another one, or I'll get it back with a polite "u idiot" note on it and I can mess around some more.

1 hour ago, Mallet said:

Will the 3060 launch have more stock do you think?

dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUzGCg.jpg

They could have 20,000 of them for launch, they would still sell out instantly!

A full stack of 30 series card is what people have wanted for a while now, we will likely see this as the generation that nvidia moves away from gtx, and consolidates rtx (amd will do the same), and it will go from 3050ti - 3090 as a range, with 3080ti, replacing the 2080ti as the thousand dollar product (when it gets released)

I mean if

3090 = £1400

3080ti = £999

3080 = £650

3070 = 2080ti then at £450

3060ti = 2080s  at £400

3060 =2070s at £350

3050ti =2060s at £300

i mean...that...that would be a cracking product line up! it covers the 1080p gamers with the 50ti/60 range, then goes up!

55 minutes ago, Mallet said:

They will need something for the sub £300 market, personally that's as much as I am usually willing to spend on a graphics card.

The XX50 and XX50ti is typically the sub-200 market. I'd expect it to remain that way, I honestly can't see them pricing a 3050ti for 300 unless an AIB goes completely mental with a custom version (or a half-height card). It's more a matter of time, as they usually only trickle through once there's enough XX60 cards manufactured/binned and done appropriate cost-downs on the newer die - so about 6-8 months after the flagship (XX80).

After reading a couple of comments on here about undervolting, and my case not having great airflow decided to experiment a bit this morning. 

So far dropped to 860mv with about 1900mhz clock rate and I’ve knocked about 10 degrees off the temp playing AC:Valhalla. Feels very stable so might be a bit more headroom but already much better, and quieter. Cool :)

Hrm, just had an issue with my CX screen intermittently flickering black, for less than a second at a time. Restarting didn’t fix, but unplugging/replugging the HDMI cable seems to have resolved it for now. Is this something to do with the TV firmware issues with Gsync? Did a bit of digging online and this seems to be the case but I know you guys are more knowledgeable. 

4 hours ago, spanx said:

After reading a couple of comments on here about undervolting, and my case not having great airflow decided to experiment a bit this morning. 

So far dropped to 860mv with about 1900mhz clock rate and I’ve knocked about 10 degrees off the temp playing AC:Valhalla. Feels very stable so might be a bit more headroom but already much better, and quieter. Cool :)

Yeah, I've had to go back to running an undervolting profile after not being arsed with loading MSI Afterburner every time I wanted to play a game.

Primarily for fan noise - I got a shiny 1440p 144Hz Monitor because it was on offer, but as soon as you run anything at that capability my computer sounds like a fucking jet engine (Both the CPU and GPU, I should add).

It's worth mentioning that undervolting too much can fuck with tensor cores and frame pacing as well, so it's worth playing something with DLSS and/or Raytracing after you've locked in a profile in case it shits the bed in those cases.

Managed to actually snag a 5600x today. So it's almost bloody time to build my PC! Absolutely chuffed to bits with how this has all finally come together.

5600x

B550 ROG motherboard

3200 RAM (2x8GB) <-- I'll look at upgrading this in the future if more than 16gb is looking like the norm.