NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

4 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Apparently day 1 stock of AMD was meant to be TERRIBLE but restocks are meant to be way better than what Nvidia had in their first few weeks (ie nothing)

That's hopeful... 

I'm looking at the now released benchies. It's very much as fast as a 3080, for less money...

Capitalism - the neglectful parent that it is - is no longer able (or perhaps willing) to feed the consumerism that is has birthed.

edit - it's amazing that AMD are now up there and in some cases exceeding Nvidia in terms of performance. I've gone with the latter this time around (partially because I could get one, although I do have some mild reservations about the quality of that choice), but a punchy, competitive AMD is going to do a lot of value in market going into the future, unless they decide to cartel it up.

Honestly though, I don't think it's possible to make a bad choice this time around - all of these cards are just ripping it up. Not like that time I bought an FX 5800 almost 20 years ago. That was an absolute dog of a card.

Drivers.

A lot of people got burnt with 5700xt and it's drivers in the first few months. Apparently they are fine now but those first 2-3 months were rough.

I'm not truly interested in these higher tier cards beyond geeking out on them as I'm simply not prepared to spend so much on a graphics card. I want a really nice £200-300 war between Nvidia and AMD because I have no allegiance to either company and I'll simply buy the better product in terms of performance and value.

Assuming you will be able to buy one of course.

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

I looked at @idiwa's case and am jealous of all that space in there. What case is it and what size fans does it take? I've been thinking about a case upgrade for a while, perhaps I should treat myself for Christmas (on the basis I probably won't get a 3070 by then).

Its a NZXT H510 - Its designed as a negative pressure case and as default its got a 120 at the rear and in the top. Watching reviews with Gamer Nexus he said not to add more fans or fuck with existing fan position. Basically in its default config it works well, as soon as you add front fans it starts to go to fuck. 

The only gipe I had in the build was the HDD bay is not toolless and whilst doing the cable management a day after the build I decided to move the HDD to a higher location to stash cables underneath it. Just a bit of a faff as the screws for the tray are on the underside of the case. Might not be an issue for most as people move away from HDD to flash based. I'm only using HDD as a library drive for lots of RAW images for Adobe Lightroom.

On 17/11/2020 at 14:46, Len said:

Jesus christ, can you come and tidy up my cable management?!  ;)

And yes you can buy replacement cables, I think @snowbind is your man for advice on that stuff.

Never bothered with wifi for my setup, it's wired or nowt for me!

I'm tempted to post a pic of the cables behind my tv... but I'm too fucking embarrassed. It's like a vipers nest of shame! 

On 17/11/2020 at 15:21, Mike S said:

Very tidy work there @idiwa and surely a contender for Rear of The Year....

Cheers!

On 17/11/2020 at 15:25, Mogster said:

Yeah that's some excellent rear cable management. I'm quite proud of the main compartment of my new build, but let's just say I'm glad the back is hidden behind an opaque panel. 

Took about 2hrs, a lot of twisty ties and then when I was happy nailing shit down with cable ties. I'm a phat handed twat at the best of time but it was really enjoyable. A sort of mindfulness zen shit going on. 

4 hours ago, snowbind said:

@idiwa god damn, that is a good looking build. 

So you're right extensions are just straight cables that run from the end of the manufacturers cable to the component. They are a nightmare to hide in the back. The only other alternative are custom cables specific for your psu. The reason being the pin out from the psu, doesn't map 1:1 to where you plug it into a component. There's usually some cross over and in the case of the 24 pin, capacitors, splits and other fun stuff. 

If you want to get a tighter bend on your existing cable, let it sit on a warm radiator for a while, until it loosens up. Then form it and hold it whilst it cools. 

:hat: High praise indeed coming from yourself, cheers mate. Thanks for the tip about the radiator. I got a 8pin PCIE extension today in the mail so I'll throw that on for now.

4 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

No problem - hope you enjoy it!

Hugely impressed with @idiwa's cable management though. I always look at stuff like that and wonder where the extra stuff goes.

Having gutted several hitch hikers in the past on the moors its pretty similar :mellow: Yesterday I was having to get a Ducky One 2 Mini RGB keyboard boxed up to send back (I just didn't like it at all) and due to CCL's return policy I was tying to make it looked like it had never been used. I had to watch some AMSR unboxing video with the same keyboard to try and ket the USB C cable packed up the correct way. That was a fun way to waste an afternoon.

@Len that was the keyboard I mentioned in the ATF thread. 

2 minutes ago, dfq23 said:

Lovely!!! I ordered one yesterday and forgot I had linked my AV Forums account so got it today free delivery.

Yeah, Stockinformer proved to be useless for me, it didn't update with yesterday's drop and hasn't with this one either. But I no longer have to care about it, so hurrah!

25 minutes ago, idiwa said:

Having gutted several hitch hikers in the past on the moors its pretty similar :mellow: Yesterday I was having to get a Ducky One 2 Mini RGB keyboard boxed up to send back (I just didn't like it at all) and due to CCL's return policy I was tying to make it looked like it had never been used. I had to watch some AMSR unboxing video with the same keyboard to try and ket the USB C cable packed up the correct way. That was a fun way to waste an afternoon.

I picked up an 80% sized Steel series Apex 7 for my new build and can recommend it highly if you are looking for alternatives. What was it you didn't like about the Ducky?

I managed to grab one of the Scan 3070 FEs! I had given up on the Telegram group and muted it as it seemed to be endless German sites selling versions that were too big for my case but I happened to look into the group just as they showed up in stock. 

Can't wait to get up to some 1440p 144hz Ultra quality mischief. 

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Fluke update of this page and I saw it - AND I ONLY WENT AND BOUGHT ONE!

[ShaoKahn]Excellent[/ShaoKahn]

17 minutes ago, Gabe said:

As I have a 3070 coming my way, would I benefit in upgrading my motherboard from the current 450 Tomahawk Max to a 550 board? If so, are any that are especially recommended?

Not really. That card isn't going to be overwhelming PCIE unless you're running a bunch of M2 drives and the like. If it's working for you, keep it.

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

As I have a 3070 coming my way, would I benefit in upgrading my motherboard from the current 450 Tomahawk Max to a 550 board? If so, are any that are especially recommended?

No tangible benefit

24 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

Im just gonna throw my PC away and buy an xbox one x S XT X. All this missing out is making me cry.

Not sure what's worse, wanting a card and missing out on 3080 FE drops or being me knowing I've had a Zotac 3080 on pre-order since launch day (40th in queue currently) and seeing people get 3080 FE's for cheaper ahead of the preorder queues...

1st world problems

51 minutes ago, JackG4 said:

Not sure what's worse, wanting a card and missing out on 3080 FE drops or being me knowing I've had a Zotac 3080 on pre-order since launch day (40th in queue currently) and seeing people get 3080 FE's for cheaper ahead of the preorder queues...

1st world problems

Worse: Having an ASUS TUF non-OC preorder with Overclockers at >RRP.

just keep watching scan and try and get a founders edition.

3 hours ago, footle said:

Worse: Having an ASUS TUF non-OC preorder with Overclockers at >RRP.

just keep watching scan and try and get a founders edition.

Currently 1400 in the queue for this exact bad boy. I expect delivery by Christmas. 

2024.:hmm:

The pre-order situation on the non-OC cards is a joke. I guess I can understand that if they're only getting a tiny number of chips from Nvidia they'll want to be putting them into the more expensive cards, but I thinks a couple of manufacturers have just come out and said "nah, we're just not going to be doing these for the foreseeable".

Bleh.

I'm eyeing my new computer a little suspiciously at the moment. Have spent a fair few hours playing some quite demanding games (Total War: Three Kingdoms, the new COD and that well know system annihilator, Bugsnax), and it's been 100% rock solid. Today, when looking at a light spreadsheet for work, it just randomly rebooted out of nowhere. No Blue Screen - nothing but everything froze for a few seconds and then hard reboot.

None of the Windows logs seem to know anything but the standard "Error 41 - restarted without notice m8" one.

So I'm sure it's a total anomaly and completely fine, especially as it's fine under stress. But dear god do I hate hiccups like that when there's no clue as to what might have happened.

Hmm.

So, I've given up any pretence that my purchases are merely an upgrade and have moved on to the knowledge that this is now a full new build.

I've got a new case coming to me now...

I'm a hopeless case...pun intended.

However, I'm attempting to put the blame squarely on:

a)nVidia - becuase if there was stock available on launch day none of this calamity that has befallen my wallet would have happened as I'd be now perfectly happy with 'just' a new GPU

b)console manufacturers - my initial excitement of them has been markedly knocked by - shock - lack of stock.

I'm currently in communications with an up and coming lawyer called Rudy Giuliani who apparently thinks this is a ghastly state of affairs and reckons he can at least get me some new rgb fans as compensation.

Curse you technology...why do you toy with me so?

(Bless you technology...I love you really)