NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

4 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

how much is the XC3? Might buy your place if you score a founders?

£745. Yeah if I get a FE then that sounds good. Although the next XC3 drop is 4th Dec and I'm likely to get one from that so it's unlikely I'll get an FE now. 

On 24/11/2020 at 20:13, JackG4 said:

I'm running my 3080 at 75fps on 3440 x 1440p and at 800mV I can do 1950MHz boost absolutely fine. 35-50% fan speed on a Zotac OC.

The max I hit is 50 degrees, usually 48 degrees.

Wondering how you're getting your temp so low. I'm running Assassins Creed maxed out at 4k  at ~60-70fps (admittedly that's taxing it more than you are), and even undervolted with fans at 50-60% it's over 70 degrees. I assume that's still more than fine operating temp seeing as it doesn't throttle until 83, but I'd love to run it cooler.

Mind you, then new Noctua fans I fitted have at least meant although it's still warm, it's quieter.

Just think. In a couple of months, maybe 4...This will all be long forgotten, we'll all be happy playing with our over priced cards, potentially utilising them to about 60% unless benchmarking. But it will be fine.

Then Nvidia will announce the 3080 Super FU* coming July 2021

*Fuck U 

7 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

Just think. In a couple of months, maybe 4...This will all be long forgotten, we'll all be happy playing with our over priced cards, potentially utilising them to about 60% unless benchmarking. But it will be fine.

Then Nvidia will announce the 3080 Super FU* coming July 2021

*Fuck U 

You jest, but there are already rumours floating around of a 3080 Ti early next year on Videocardz (I think that's the site?) As always, there's a thread on Era about it.

1 hour ago, spanx said:

Wondering how you're getting your temp so low. I'm running Assassins Creed maxed out at 4k  at ~60-70fps (admittedly that's taxing it more than you are), and even undervolted with fans at 50-60% it's over 70 degrees. I assume that's still more than fine operating temp seeing as it doesn't throttle until 83, but I'd love to run it cooler.

Mind you, then new Noctua fans I fitted have at least meant although it's still warm, it's quieter.

Could be all manner of things - at the moment, I'm narrowing my own temp issues with my system down to the case and/or fan config. The 3080 just straight up dumps a shitload of heat into the case.

At full wack (as in, no undervolt), it gets to mid-80s in no time at all. No difference with side off, more fans on both intake and outtake, and ramped up to 100% fan speed which is nearly as loud as the fans on the card itself. Put the card on a set RPM, still steadily climbs through the 70s on Bright Memory.

Took off the dust filter along with the front entirely, and it maintains 73c all day :sherlock: so I guess I need to decide if I want a lump of a case on top of my bureau to actually get enough air in the case, or I risk paying a lesser fee on a different front panel (the Define Mini C and Meshify Mini C's panels are interchangeable as long as you buy the I/O panel).

Of course, with Black Friday and/or Christmas Sales, either option is about the same price!

21 hours ago, spanx said:

I tend not to run my games at max settings which is helping (some in RDR2 especially I can't distinguish any difference between Low and Ultra)

I did also change my case fans to ramp up with GPU temps rather than CPU which they were set to before. That seems to be helping to promote the right volume of case air flow at the right times.

The 3080 definitely dumps a load more heat than any other card I've owned. Even when the card is sat idle at 30 degrees, I'm noticing that my desk setup is warmer (I sit here all day for work just on Chrome) compared to my 1080. Think the card is good for cooling and maintaining good idle temps but it's just consuming more Watts at all times anyway.

The 50 degrees I'm seeing in game is at a max of about 70% fan speed at times, normally fans at 50% can maintain 45-50 degrees though. Just seeing brilliant results with this undervolt to 800MHz. Like I said, I'm only aiming for 75fps 3440x1400p but I will HAPPILY run my 3080 all day at 50degrees Max if it still hits 75fps

I think I must just be stressing the card more then. The GPU returns to 30ish degrees at idle within a few minutes even if it's been running hot for hours so the case airflow is OK.

I'll stop worrying and just enjoy my games :)

Yeah, I'm currently sat at 875mV and it's perfectly capable of hitting the same clocks as the card was at default (It's a Zotac OC, so it was clocked at 1930Mhz by default with a blank cheque book for power). It does cool down very sharply, but lord help you if you touch the backplate after just turning the machine off!

Between that, a more modest fan curve (About 59% / 1630RPM when it starts hitting 70c) and actually remembering to clean the dust filters, I might be getting somewhere!

And then play Deep Rock Galactic that flops between 40-60% Usage, even at 1440p 120fps. Hey, you can't put a price on fun.

I've also taken all of the covers off of my case to aid thermals. Things are now great. GPU idles at 35, then maxes out at 76-ish @850mV/1920MHz. 14800+ on Superposition without any hint of thermal throttling. It jumps between 1920MHz and 1935MHz throughout.

I also set the power limit to 115%. This gets rid of the constant fluctuations from before without any impact on the temps.

There's really no need for me to tinker any longer.

10 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Is there a simple to follow guide for undervolting? Can this be done via Afterburner or in the BIOS? I presume that it obviously reduces energy draw as well as helping with temps, but are there other benefits?

I followed this video:

At 800mV I'm using 150W less power, 20 degrees cooler and still maintaining the 75fps I was limiting my GPU to at Stock. GPU still boosts to 1935MHz on a Zotac OC. It just seems to have solved the card pulling however much power it wants at whatever utilisation

*One thing to note* this is probably 100% specific to my system but I HAVE to have MSI Afterburner open and not minimised for the undervolt to be effective. If it's minimised, I get stuttering and fluctuations between 73 and 75fps

8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Thanks @JackG4. I have a 3070 so I suppose it's the same process and finding the right sweet-spot. What do you use to test stability?

Definitely worth giving it a go.

Personally, I just reloaded the same save file in the centre of a town on Red Dead 2, left it for 30 minutes and checked temps, power consumption, and clock speeds etc... RDR2 is pretty demanding so I figured it was a good real world test.

Dropped 25mV at a time until I found abnormal activity (below 800mV I was actually pulling more power from the wall than at 850mV). I've since tried No Man's Sky, Green Hell, Minecraft Ray Traced, Watch Dogs Legion Ray Traced, Witcher 3. All fine with 800mV.

If any pop up in the future where it doesn't feel right, I'll up the mV again step by step until stable

8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Good stuff - whenever I saw people talking about undervolting before I assumed it was some kind of real mission to do - didn't realise it was so easy! I shall have a play later tonight.

I was dismissive of it in the past too. Surprisingly easy

I'd recommend tweaking your own custom fan profile too. My Zotac OC had a zero fan RPM mode until about 50 degrees(?!) was stupid. I've now got it linear (10degrees, 10% fan RPM. 20degrees, 20% RPM etc...)

Not quite on-topic but part of the slow-order-fulfilment rigmarole - I was able to snag a 5950X at an ok price from Amazon yesterday, which had a delivery date of mid Dec but now turns out should be with me on Sunday!

I sent back to SCAN the mobo, RAM and cooler that I bought from them while waiting for a (now cancelled) GPU, as my hotheadedness for top end parts faded a bit. Have now ordered next-model-down equivalents (still real nice mind) that should be with me on Tuesday! Getting closer now... should be rebuilt in time for Cyberpunk phew.

2 hours ago, Fallows said:

I've also taken all of the covers off of my case to aid thermals. Things are now great. GPU idles at 35, then maxes out at 76-ish @850mV/1920MHz. 14800+ on Superposition without any hint of thermal throttling. It jumps between 1920MHz and 1935MHz throughout.

I also set the power limit to 115%. This gets rid of the constant fluctuations from before without any impact on the temps.

There's really no need for me to tinker any longer.

Dude, just buy an airflow case...What do you have at the minute?

2 hours ago, JackG4 said:

*One thing to note* this is probably 100% specific to my system but I HAVE to have MSI Afterburner open and not minimised for the undervolt to be effective. If it's minimised, I get stuttering and fluctuations between 73 and 75fps

Did you try setting the power limit to 115%? That fixed that for me.

14 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

Dude, just buy an airflow case...What do you have at the minute?

Some CoolerMaster garbage (Q300P).

10/10 looks, -10/10 thermals.

I don't care much about dust. I quite fancy something open next time.

2 hours ago, JackG4 said:

I'd recommend tweaking your own custom fan profile too. My Zotac OC had a zero fan RPM mode until about 50 degrees(?!) was stupid. I've now got it linear (10degrees, 10% fan RPM. 20degrees, 20% RPM etc...)

Crikey, why didn't I think of this?

More performance from somewhere, who knows.

10 degrees off.

A new Superposition high score.

Superposition-Benchmark-v1-1-14936-16065

Thanks. I've been plagued by crap temps for what seems like forever. This is a bit of a breakthrough.

Quake II RTX is peaking at 72 degrees, but now hitting 80FPS. This means 72% fan speed, which is approaching very loud, but no where near as bad as stock this time last week.

3 hours ago, Fallows said:

Did you try setting the power limit to 115%? That fixed that for me.

I'll try that and see what effect it has on overall power draw too, will be interesting, thanks

2 hours ago, Fallows said:

Thanks. I've been plagued by crap temps for what seems like forever. This is a bit of a breakthrough.

Clearly plenty of headroom for optimising these 3000 series cards, exciting tinkering with them

My 3070 was delivered last night, a day early. It’s impressive! I haven’t bought a brand new card since the 9600GT (still going strong in my MAME cabinet). Incidentally that was also the last NVidia card I bought, as I’ve been using AMD cards since I got back into PC gaming 3 years ago. 

Anyway, Minecraft RTX. Wow! I need to try it with a VR headset next!

19 hours ago, Triple A said:

Not quite on-topic but part of the slow-order-fulfilment rigmarole - I was able to snag a 5950X at an ok price from Amazon yesterday, which had a delivery date of mid Dec but now turns out should be with me on Sunday!

I sent back to SCAN the mobo, RAM and cooler that I bought from them while waiting for a (now cancelled) GPU, as my hotheadedness for top end parts faded a bit. Have now ordered next-model-down equivalents (still real nice mind) that should be with me on Tuesday! Getting closer now... should be rebuilt in time for Cyberpunk phew.

The 5950X has arrived!