IGNORED

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

4 hours ago, StoooTube said:

My 3070 was delivered last night, a day early. It’s impressive! I haven’t bought a brand new card since the 9600GT (still going strong in my MAME cabinet). Incidentally that was also the last NVidia card I bought, as I’ve been using AMD cards since I got back into PC gaming 3 years ago. 

Anyway, Minecraft RTX. Wow! I need to try it with a VR headset next!

Coming from a 2070 Super I have to say the performance is pretty underwhelming, though in fairness I haven't even installed the only game I own with DLSS and ray tracing (Metro Exodus), where I imagine it will benefit from the extra tensor cores.

It sure is a lovely looking bit of kit though, it oozes some class.

You know what? I need to start going to church.

My new 'beast' of a machine (I'm calling it Black Mamba it's so damn murky in the box) is built. It's great. It hasn't blown up on me despite the fact that whilst I think the case looks better than the previous version of the Fractal one it's much more of an arse to build in).

What has happened though is that the drive that has all my games stored on it has seemingly decided to fuck up. This wouldn't have been much of an issue, as I was going to transfer the contents to a newer M.2 drive, but I can't do that now :( . 

It also upsets me that I've moved into a great area, but the internet is about three times slower than where I was, so the nifty idea of being all digital feels a little bit off currently.

I will be playing Solitaire on the 3090 until something downloads then...

See you all in a month.

Edit: Don't anyone insert this particular Black Mamba into any holes though.

Unless you live near to a hospital.

Just now, JoeK said:

You know what? I need to start going to church.

My new 'beast' of a machine (I'm calling it Black Mamba it's so damn murky in the box) is built. It's great. It hasn't blown up on me despite the fact that whilst I think the case looks better than the previous version of the Fractal one it's much more of an arse to build in).

What has happened though is that the drive that has all my games stored on it has seemingly decided to fuck up. This wouldn't have been much of an issue, as I was going to transfer the contents to a newer M.2 drive, but I can't do that now :( . 

It also upsets me that I've moved into a great area, but the internet is about three times slower than where I was, so the nifty idea of being all digital feels a little bit off currently.

I will be playing Solitaire on the 3090 until something downloads then...

See you all in a month.

Edit: Don't anyone insert this particular Black Mamba into any holes though.

Unless you live near to a hospital.

Woahh, what happened? Your SSD just gave up?

1 minute ago, IcEBuRN said:

Woahh, what happened? Your SSD just gave up?

Need to give it a bit more of a test, but I think one of the connection pins at the back might have got damaged a bit when I was busy dismantling the old build. We'll see what we can do with it though...but at the moment everything looks so nice I'm loathe to open the machine up at the moment ;)

23 hours ago, JackG4 said:

I'd recommend tweaking your own custom fan profile too. My Zotac OC had a zero fan RPM mode until about 50 degrees(?!) was stupid. I've now got it linear (10degrees, 10% fan RPM. 20degrees, 20% RPM etc...)

Why is this stupid? I think it makes sense, makes sure the fans don't turn on unless you're actually using it. e.g. I use my PC as a work machine too sometimes, I don't want the fans to be spinning when I've just got Teams and Chrome open. I think my current GPU doesn't turn on until 60 degrees. Wouldn't make any difference to performance if they turned on before that, as that's well below the temperatures that could affect boost clocks.

Just now, JoeK said:

Need to give it a bit more of a test, but I think one of the connection pins at the back might have got damaged a bit when I was busy dismantling the old build. We'll see what we can do with it though...but at the moment everything looks so nice I'm loathe to open the machine up at the moment ;)

Well, if it's any consolation. I'll take your 3090 off you anyway.

I like to...give back sometimes, ya know?

25 minutes ago, Liamness said:

Why is this stupid? I think it makes sense, makes sure the fans don't turn on unless you're actually using it. e.g. I use my PC as a work machine too sometimes, I don't want the fans to be spinning when I've just got Teams and Chrome open. I think my current GPU doesn't turn on until 60 degrees. Wouldn't make any difference to performance if they turned on before that, as that's well below the temperatures that could affect boost clocks.

Have you felt the backplate with the zero RPM mode though? I swear that thing is a furnace all the time. It's just radiating out heat into my CPU fans

Personal preference but I'd just prefer to have low RPM fans running than zero RPM whilst the card is actually cooking a bit even at idle

If your GPU has an open design, the heat will be pushed into the case either way, and some of it into the CPU cooler. There's a big difference between hot to touch vs actually dangerous for components, too. 50 degrees is not "cooking", at least when it comes to most solid-state electrical components.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Coming from a 2070 Super I have to say the performance is pretty underwhelming, though in fairness I haven't even installed the only game I own with DLSS and ray tracing (Metro Exodus), where I imagine it will benefit from the extra tensor cores.

It sure is a lovely looking bit of kit though, it oozes some class.

I’ve upgraded from a Vega 56 so I’m seeing a fair improvement! And that’s before you add DLSS and RT into the mix! 

1 hour ago, Liamness said:

If your GPU has an open design, the heat will be pushed into the case either way, and some of it into the CPU cooler. There's a big difference between hot to touch vs actually dangerous for components, too. 50 degrees is not "cooking", at least when it comes to most solid-state electrical components.

Completely agree but I'd rather dissipate lots of 30 degrees heat from my case than let a GPU sit idle at 50 degrees radiating that temperature heat into the case. There's got to be a benefit from having a cooler GPU overall over longer periods of time

7 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

SO I've been feverishly trying to score a 3080. NO joy obvs, but look at these notifications...Someone is taking the piss here.

image.png.bb3a5be0312961e12db1fc44b0494528.png 

Forget the AIBs. I began to treat those alerts as false alarms. Just track the FEs for the sake of your temper/sanity.

There's a separate group for that.

15 minutes ago, krenzler said:

I can only get the ships from China option - Russia and Spain is grayed out. Sold out I guess?

I had Spain showing but yep greys out when goes to cart it seems.

Worth giving them a message though as in stock in China. They are the same seller people were getting 3300xs from. Stuff I have ordered lately from Ali has come in a week!

Their 3600 ain't bad either!

17 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

Well, if it's any consolation. I'll take your 3090 off you anyway.

I like to...give back sometimes, ya know?

Well, putting the drive in an external enclosure seems to have done the trick.

Pity, as now I'll have to unwrap the 3090 from the parcel I was literally just about to send off to you.

My hands are tied, I'm terribly sorry...

Can I ask a noob DLSS question?

Do I set a compatible game to 4k with DLSS and it’ll automatically uses a lower resolution and upscale it to 4k? Or do I select 1080p / 1440p with DLSS and it’ll then upscale that to 4k?

edit: I assume I select 4k output in the game, and depending on if I choose Performance, Balanced, or Quality mode, the RTX card decides how to render the game?!

On 13/11/2020 at 21:49, 5R7 said:

I mean if

3090 = £1400

3080ti = £999

3080 = £650

3070 = 2080ti then at £450

3060ti = 2080s  at £400

3060 =2070s at £350

3050ti =2060s at £300

i mean...that...that would be a cracking product line up! it covers the 1080p gamers with the 50ti/60 range, then goes up!

ill quote myself, i wasnt far off with that guess on price, actually surprised at the price! got the performance spot on!

4 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

Don't be silly.

It will be "coming soon"

1:59pm - Coming soon

1:59:59s - Coming soon

2:00:01s - Out of stock.

It's the journey maaaaan, not the destination...I do not expect to get one tomorrow.