IGNORED

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

Does anyone have a 3080 and Quake 2 RTX? If so, what kind of frame rates are you getting? At 4K with everything on max I stick at 30fps but can achieve 60fps using the adaptive resolution thing but would prefer proper 4k. 

I'm sure that I was getting 60 when I first tested it but cannot think what I might have changed in game or in the control panel that would have killed my frame rate.

34 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Does anyone have a 3080 and Quake 2 RTX? If so, what kind of frame rates are you getting? At 4K with everything on max I stick at 30fps but can achieve 60fps using the adaptive resolution thing but would prefer proper 4k. 

I'm sure that I was getting 60 when I first tested it but cannot think what I might have changed in game or in the control panel that would have killed my frame rate.

i dont think you were,

image.thumb.png.c1c750a98a18847f9a9faebebae6ecef.png

60 fps in THAT, at 4k...dont be silly :P

16 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

i dont think you were,

image.thumb.png.c1c750a98a18847f9a9faebebae6ecef.png

60 fps in THAT, at 4k...dont be silly :P

Aah, well that explains it, it must have been on adaptive from the off.

That said, I'm sure one of the under volt folk in here mentioned 60fps plus for their card though. I'll try dropping the resolution to 1440p and see if I can match the DF benchmark which was just over 60fps IIRC.

7 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Aah, well that explains it, it must have been on adaptive from the off.

That said, I'm sure one of the under volt folk in here mentioned 60fps plus for their card though. I'll try dropping the resolution to 1440p and see if I can match the DF benchmark which was just over 60fps IIRC.

My 3080 is getting  60fps in Quake 2 RTX at 1440p, e.g (see top right). 

131471537_Quake2RTXRemasterScreenshot2020_12.01-17_36_29_18.thumb.jpg.e46bef5fadc68b09da77ad9ea3956a47.jpg

54 minutes ago, bignige said:

I managed to grab one from Scan (missed out of everything else - 3090, 3080, 3070 and RX6800).

Done and dusted within 2 mins and have a delivery date from anytime tomoz until next tuesday.

I'll be sad to see my 5700xt go. It's been a brilliant card (for me) with zero issues.

Bloody new gadget lust!

Well done! Did you get an FE or a third party card?

4 minutes ago, bignige said:

I ended up with 2 fan solution. 

If it doesn’t fit it’ll be in the for sales soon enough!
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-eagle-8gb-gddr6-ray-tracing-graphics-card-4864-core

Well, I suspect the one you bought will fit in fine, but the FE seems to be a little less long as far as I can tell from the spec sheets! 

10 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Well, I suspect the one you bought will fit in fine, but the FE seems to be a little less long as far as I can tell from the spec sheets! 

Anything under 310mm should be fine. 
5700xt was a pretty long card. 

8 hours ago, bignige said:

Midnight email letting me know my order is delayed due to COVID....

In all honesty, just being able to place an order on these fucking cards is enough of a headache unless you want to be on OCUK's thousand-strong conga line. a delivery delay would be the least of my concerns.

Hell, it was the least of my concerns - I was expecting to get the Zotac card a good month after I put an order in, but I couldn't care less at the time - because it was the only time I have been able to click the 'buy' button on one of these cards without the shopping cart crashing out or some other bullshit.

11 hours ago, bignige said:

I ended up with 2 fan solution. 

If it doesn’t fit it’ll be in the for sales soon enough!
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-eagle-8gb-gddr6-ray-tracing-graphics-card-4864-core

Have same case, would be very interested to know how well it works once you get it. I have a vague feeling that a cooler with vertical fins might be slightly better, and flow-through designs may be counterproductive, as the card just directly backs onto the PSU of course. Any AIB card is likely going to be better than the FE though, because of the way the sides of that card are blocked off by the (admittedly very nice looking) metal trim. Looked to me like the PNY models could've worked well, never saw a buy button for them though.

I think I'm going to remove the plastic divider, see if that helps. Not needed for GPUs with a backplate anyway AFAIK.

11 hours ago, bignige said:

Anything under 310mm should be fine. 
5700xt was a pretty long card. 

Yeah the A4 has prety good GPU compatibility, just as long as you stick to 2 slot cards.

49 minutes ago, Liamness said:

Have same case, would be very interested to know how well it works once you get it. I have a vague feeling that a cooler with vertical fins might be slightly better, and flow-through designs may be counterproductive, as the card just directly backs onto the PSU of course. Any AIB card is likely going to be better than the FE though, because of the way the sides of that card are blocked off by the (admittedly very nice looking) metal trim. Looked to me like the PNY models could've worked well, never saw a buy button for them though.

I think I'm going to remove the plastic divider, see if that helps. Not needed for GPUs with a backplate anyway AFAIK.

Yeah the A4 has prety good GPU compatibility, just as long as you stick to 2 slot cards.

Will update once card arrives. 
I’ve had an email today to say it’s now with the courier!