IGNORED

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

On 14/12/2020 at 22:41, bignige said:

Yep they shift it away from PSU and towards the panel - which I’ve taken off for the mo as the sound is louder when attached.

I just tried this out for myself. I always thought my GPU was noisy - turns out it is basically whisper quiet (well, besides the coil whine) when it's not right up against the side panel. A bit wierd because obviously case fans go right next to the case (duh) and don't seem to have the same issue usually. If you go on the Dan Cases website the FAQ suggests you use a dust filter or "the tights of your girlfriend" to see if this reduces the noise. Would reduce airflow too but I expect higher RPMs without the buffeting would be perceptually quieter. Something to look into, might just leave the side panel off until I get a new GPU and see if it has the same issue.

7 minutes ago, Larsen B said:

3080 FE up on Scan.

Managed an order, although they've removed the Amazon button so had to quickly log in to PayPal and hope that wouldn't get flagged.

Yup, I managed to get an order in for a 3060ti, paypal too so fingers crossed!

I finally upgraded my PSU yesterday so I'm happy enough to join the many in pursuit of a new GPU. A 3060 Ti would probably be ideal although a 3070 is definitely viable. I can get a Palit 3090 right now but I'm just not tempted at £1550. :lol:

Although, Hardware Unboxed were talking about how they think needing over 8gb VRAM is going to be a thing by the end of 2021. Decisions, decisions. 

47 minutes ago, idiwa said:

Did your 3060ti arrive from Scan yet? My 3070s still not been dispatched :quote:

Nothing yet. Been stuck packaged up ready to send since the 24th. Today is their first day opening since Christmas though, I think. So I expect it to be sent today.

1 hour ago, vezna said:

Although, Hardware Unboxed were talking about how they think needing over 8gb VRAM is going to be a thing by the end of 2021. Decisions, decisions. 

I have a 3070 that I'm more than happy with, but this aspect was the only thing that has caused a little tinge of concern. I game at 1440p - with no plans to go 4K for a long while - so I'm probably going to be okay and not hit any issues, hopefully.

4 minutes ago, Isaac said:

It's a joke article as part of Spanish fools day @Lying Cat.

Your powers are on the wane, this lie sailed straight past you.

The truth is I never had any powers, and if I did they vanished completely when I started talking :/ I just picked obvious targets in a populist manner and just rode that train all the way up to the Committee.

Roll on the next election so I can ditch this account.

Now you mention it of course, I do see that little note at the bottom that this isn't real - but I have at least now learned that the Spanish do this. I'm now super glad I voted for Brexit, because it's this kind of thing (other countries doing things different from Britain) that really makes me look ignorant and stupid.

I know! I was just testing you! It was a social experiment!

24 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I have a 3070 that I'm more than happy with, but this aspect was the only thing that has caused a little tinge of concern. I game at 1440p - with no plans to go 4K for a long while - so I'm probably going to be okay and not hit any issues, hopefully.

I'm the same, 1440p with as high a frame rate as possible. I've zero interest in 4k / 60 fps so a 3060 Ti or 3070 would be ideal. Then again if a 3080 comes into stock without some insane markup there'll be a financially painful decision to be made.

4 hours ago, vezna said:

I'm the same, 1440p with as high a frame rate as possible. I've zero interest in 4k / 60 fps so a 3060 Ti or 3070 would be ideal. Then again if a 3080 comes into stock without some insane markup there'll be a financially painful decision to be made.

Hijacking this a little bit, but what about an ultrawide 1440p display? Would a 3070 be enough to max out everything on one of those?

17 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Hijacking this a little bit, but what about an ultrawide 1440p display? Would a 3070 be enough to max out everything on one of those?

I honestly don't know although if that's your end game a 3080 might be a safer bet. 

20 minutes ago, vezna said:

I honestly don't know although if that's your end game a 3080 might be a safer bet. 

I did a bit of Googling and this suggests that you're right - a 3070 scrapes 60FPS on most games, but the ones they use for benchmarking are pretty old now, so it looks like a 3080 is the order of the day.

Best get saving...