Jump to content
IGNORED

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion


Meat
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

You sofa PC gamers, do you set your PCs up to boot straight into Steam's Big Picture mode? If I could do that then it would be a lot more convenient, but I have two user accounts as my wife will occasionally use it for work, so the first thing I see when I start it up is the login screen, which necessitates using a keyboard and mouse. I've got the Logitech wireless board with the trackpad built in, so it's a very minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience all the same. I've also got an issue where I'll be midway through a game and I'll just suddenly be taken back to the desktop for no apparent reason, without the game actually crashing.

 

 

I've never used big picture mode and, as such, don't really know what it is nor any advantage it might offer. I Just boot to windows and, from there, to whichever game/launcher and all works fine...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to boot to Big Picture years ago, but only with one account. I never had the desktop issue though.

 

I do have a weird Big Picture issue with my current PC though. Games launch and run fine, but often my inputs will still be controlling Big Picture at the same time as the game. Alt tabbing out and back into the game solves it, but it's really annoying. I usually just avoid Big Picture now for this reason.

 

I'm fairly launcher agnostic these days anyway. I often just stick to GOG Galaxy seeing as it just plugs into everything else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not strictly playing on a sofa as I'm about a metre or two from the keyboard, but I just fuck with Air Mouse/HTPC remotes these days and forgo BPM entirely.

 

33 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I've also got an issue where I'll be midway through a game and I'll just suddenly be taken back to the desktop for no apparent reason, without the game actually crashing.

 

Focus problems can be anything from Malware, to some third party program you have in the system tray, or even Windows processes themselves unfortunately.

For a start, you can disable Cortana and/or enable Focus Assist on Windows 10 (although Focus Assist should be on by default when playing a game), go through your Startup Apps and disable everything outside of the bare essentials that you need, and do a run of Windows Defender Antivirus and/or Malwarebytes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The company I bought my pre build from confirmed my order is being now made after the address and card payment issue, yay! If anyone is looking for a 30 series pre build system it was from CCL Online, they apparently kept back stock of cards for their pre builds they told me yesterday, I don't know the make of the card I'm getting though I should have asked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t bother with steam big screen mode either. Tend to use a range of launchers and quickly logging in and getting going with M&K isn’t so bad. Would be great if I could use the DS4 touchpad as a mouse once logged in but haven’t figured that one out 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found a program that lets me use the Xbox analog stick to control the mouse and A to click, but it only loads when your Windows user account loads, so I still have to use M & K to login.

 

Essentially, I just need to convince my wife to delete her user account and not to use the 'family' computer I told her I was building to WFH during lockdown, but which I actually built for playing games on.

 

Hmm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Minion said:

I'm planning on using my wireless keyboard and mouse for my sofa managing of the PC, can I use the PS4 pad wireless on PC too?


Yeah, assuming you have Bluetooth. Also to use it for all games you’ll need DS4windows or reWASD or something 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, spanx said:


Yeah, assuming you have Bluetooth. Also to use it for all games you’ll need DS4windows or reWASD or something 

Ahh yes bluetooth thanks, I'm not actually sure I ordered in such haste last night and then drank a bottle of wine, feeling very fragile! I can laways get a dongle I guess if required.

 

This is the rig:

 

CCL Customised Theia PC

Code# CONFIG_C5470718.0

Comprising of:

 

1 x Microsoft Windows 10 Home - 64-Bit DVD (OEM)

1 x TP-Link Archer T6E 1300Mbps PCI Express WiFi

1 x Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA III 3.5" HDD

1 x Gigabyte AORUS P750GM 750W Modular 80+ Gold PSU

2 x HyperX FURY RGB 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 RAM

1 x Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe

1 x NZXT H510i Gaming Case - Red

1 x Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2 240mm AiO Liquid CPU Cooler

1 x MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS Intel Motherboard

1 x Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8GHz 8 Core CPU

1 x CCL Choice GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GPU

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Minion said:

Ahh yes bluetooth thanks, I'm not actually sure I ordered in such haste last night and then drank a bottle of wine, feeling very fragile! I can laways get a dongle I guess if required.

 

This is the rig:

 

CCL Customised Theia PC

Code# CONFIG_C5470718.0

Comprising of:

 

1 x Microsoft Windows 10 Home - 64-Bit DVD (OEM)

1 x TP-Link Archer T6E 1300Mbps PCI Express WiFi

1 x Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA III 3.5" HDD

1 x Gigabyte AORUS P750GM 750W Modular 80+ Gold PSU

2 x HyperX FURY RGB 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 RAM

1 x Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe

1 x NZXT H510i Gaming Case - Red

1 x Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2 240mm AiO Liquid CPU Cooler

1 x MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS Intel Motherboard

1 x Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8GHz 8 Core CPU

1 x CCL Choice GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GPU

 

 

You've got a Wi-Fi card - that will probably have BT built in as well.

 

'CCL choice' for the 3080 is interesting. I'd be interested to know what card you eventually get.

 

How much was it all in, if you don't mind my asking? Seems the only way to get a 3080 at a decent price is to get a pre-built.

 

Edit: Actually, it looks like that WiFi card doesn't have BT, based on a quick Google. You can get dongles for a tenner, but you might want to get a proper WiFi/BT card. I've got this one and it's good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

 

You've got a Wi-Fi card - that will probably have BT built in as well.

 

'CCL choice' for the 3080 is interesting. I'd be interested to know what card you eventually get.

 

How much was it all in, if you don't mind my asking? Seems the only way to get a 3080 at a decent price is to get a pre-built.

 

Yeah I was wondering what card they'll give too! Including priority build it came to £2615, well over the odds for the individual components I'm sure but I wouldn't trust myself to build a PC, my current one is 10 years old and I wanted a high end beast! I would have preferred to use Scan but they haven't responded to any of my mails about their pre builds and when they might be available. It's a substitute for my annual snowboarding holiday is the way I'm justifying it, and I need a new PC :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

 

Edit: Actually, it looks like that WiFi card doesn't have BT, based on a quick Google. You can get dongles for a tenner, but you might want to get a proper WiFi/BT card. I've got this one and it's good.

 

Ahh sweet thank you I'll check that out much appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mike S said:

 

In what way?

 

I connect via HDMI and have no issues with outputting full surround nor HDR. The only connectivity issue I do have is g-sync/VRR, which is not always recognised...

HDR is better than it was, but you still have windows/game settings conflicting occasionally; and nothing as helpful as the Series X system support for HGIG. It just works on console. It works 90% of the time on PC.


 

sound: I don’t have EARC on my soundbar in the living room, or optical in, and clearly don’t have a VRR supporting one. Nvidia doesn’t expose a Dolby digital output to the tv (whereas the console would).

So my choice is stereo sound (practically speaking, headphones) or VRR. VRR wins every time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, footle said:

HDR is better than it was, but you still have windows/game settings conflicting occasionally; and nothing as helpful as the Series X system support for HGIG. It just works on console. It works 90% of the time on PC.


 

sound: I don’t have EARC on my soundbar in the living room, or optical in, and clearly don’t have a VRR supporting one. Nvidia doesn’t expose a Dolby digital output to the tv (whereas the console would).

So my choice is stereo sound (practically speaking, headphones) or VRR. VRR wins every time.

 

 

Oh, right.

 

I've not experienced any bother at all with HDR (other than the tedium of calibrating it per game) but do have it permanently set to on at the Windows level, if that makes any difference?

 

As for sound, that is a hardware issue on the receiving end rather than a PC problem isn't it? Could you not use a sound card to get sound out of the bar will not receive eARC? I was lucky i that I just plugged the HDMI into the TV and it is pushed straight to the receiver for full surround in a manner which was much, much easier than I had expected. Getting sound from the PC to the amp was one of my biggest worries prior to the living room PC build but it was, to my huge surprise, painless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/12/2020 at 22:41, bignige said:

Yep they shift it away from PSU and towards the panel - which I’ve taken off for the mo as the sound is louder when attached.

 

I just tried this out for myself. I always thought my GPU was noisy - turns out it is basically whisper quiet (well, besides the coil whine) when it's not right up against the side panel. A bit wierd because obviously case fans go right next to the case (duh) and don't seem to have the same issue usually. If you go on the Dan Cases website the FAQ suggests you use a dust filter or "the tights of your girlfriend" to see if this reduces the noise. Would reduce airflow too but I expect higher RPMs without the buffeting would be perceptually quieter. Something to look into, might just leave the side panel off until I get a new GPU and see if it has the same issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Larsen B said:

3080 FE up on Scan.

 

Managed an order, although they've removed the Amazon button so had to quickly log in to PayPal and hope that wouldn't get flagged.

 

Yup, I managed to get an order in for a 3060ti, paypal too so fingers crossed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.