NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

I see the rumour mill is warming up for the Ampere successor already. I wouldn't be too surprised to see it at the tail end of 2021. I bet Nvidia want to get off of Samsung's shitty "8nm" node as soon as they can (as well as AMD being competitive in rasterization performance), and they have booked up plenty of TSMC 5nm capacity.

https://www.techpowerup.com/276455/nvidias-next-gen-big-gpu-ad102-features-18-432-shaders

39 minutes ago, layten said:

I see the rumour mill is warming up for the Ampere successor already. I wouldn't be too surprised to see it at the tail end of 2021. I bet Nvidia want to get off of Samsung's shitty "8nm" node as soon as they can (as well as AMD being competitive in rasterization performance), and they have booked up plenty of TSMC 5nm capacity.

https://www.techpowerup.com/276455/nvidias-next-gen-big-gpu-ad102-features-18-432-shaders

Awesome news. Should mean I’ll actually be able to get a 30** card by the end of next year then. 

Got slightly tempted by a well priced 2070 Super with a good warranty earlier. It was a MSI card though and appeared to be longer than the average rowing boat for some reason.

3 hours ago, Fusty Gusset said:

Just completed my Lad’s new build. The 3060ti seems really diddy compared to my FE 3090.

Such a lovely looking card, best of the bunch for me and particularly cute in an NZXT H210. I’m a wee bit envious and tempted to downsize.

That's a very tidy build. 

I downsized my case when building my system a few months ago and am very pleased with going smaller.

I have a Fractal Define 7 Comoact as recommened by idiwa and it is the perfect size given that the only thing plugged into the motherboard is the GPU, ram, and radiator unlike all the hard drives, sound cards, etc of the olden days. Really easy case to work in too as all the panels clip on and out without screws or tools. 

1 minute ago, krenzler said:

OK, I heard they were going Samsung 5nm but could be outdated rumours? 

The rumblings from earlier in the year were for TSMC, but that very well could have changed. Anything to get away from the not very good and not really 8nm Samsung node would be a bonus.

On 30/12/2020 at 09:13, idiwa said:

Just spoke to Scan on livechat, tbh I was about to cancel the 3070 (thinking I might need a 3080). Scan told me it was too late to cancel and that I can expect it today or tomorrow. Smells like b/s to me, as its showing its not even out for dispatch yet.

Anything? Absolutely terrible service from Scan, I'm waiting to speak to live chat now, I'll insist on a cancellation.

I’ve a deal to buy someone’s 2070 Super FE. At least it’ll let me dabble in RT and DLSS until 30** cards become widely available. Currently have a Vega 56 so should be a step up regardless. With my current rig having a Ryzen 7 2700 on a B450 board it might be worth upgrading the whole thing anyway as I presume PCIE 4.0 will be beneficial some day. Perhaps something to look at later this year.

I just installed Telegram to try and help me get on a 3080. 

Due to grim family reasons (never touched a thing personally) I have contact numbers for lots of drug dealers/users in my phone. They're all on bloody Telegram. There's something amusing about a service that's used exclusively by nerds trying to procure graphics cards and drug users buying heroin. 

image.thumb.png.d8f8cb99ff2c76c0e121e31f0ed3a989.png

Via spam clicking on alerts.

Supposedly 'expected 16th Jan'. And yes it's some pointless overclocked model so it's worked out as £880. But still way cheaper than £1100 ebay prices I guess.

I'll probably keep the order.
image.png.6a70848eb63e15cdc8f4673fa738d870.png

Is that 20% Import duty (i.e. VAT) in addition to some local Italian VAT I wonder. Am I getting Brexited?
EDIT: UK list price for this card looks like £860 so I paid the 'right' price.

5 hours ago, milko said:

Good luck! Amazon delivery estimates were their own extra party of hopes raised and dashed when I was trying to buy one.

No credit card billed yet and don’t usually Amazon do it immediately? Not a great sign...

7 minutes ago, RJames said:

No credit card billed yet and don’t usually Amazon do it immediately? Not a great sign...

Usually when they are prepping to dispatch

59 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Scan insist on sending me delay notifications every day or two for an order that was marked as picked on the 24th. Terrible service.

You're getting delay notifications.... Ooooh you lucky bastard!!! I do hope during tier5 lockdown Scan's customer service are still able to ignore the fuck out of me. Amazing service since 11 days ago they took nearly £600 out my account. 

Normally I get kissed before I get fucked. :quote:

Just now, idiwa said:

You're getting delay notifications.... Ooooh you lucky bastard!!! I do hope during tier5 lockdown Scan's customer service are still able to ignore the fuck out of me. Amazing service since 11 days ago they took nearly £600 out my account. 

Clearly your aren't married!

After my whine I got the hallowed dispatch email. DPD now have the graphics card.

24 minutes ago, idiwa said:

OcUK took the £740 out of my account the day I ordered the ASUS TUF 3080 from them in early October. Expected delivery is another 5-6 months at the current rate (I'm 1200th in the queue now and they're getting 50 / week on average since October) !!

In other news, Amazon updated to say 22-26th January. I still don't have a PC to even put this card in but I'm going to hold off ordering the parts until it's a lot closer to the date...