NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

@RJames This isn't supposed to be a hahaha fuck you but I got mine from Scan when I randomly looked on the site and they had 3070s and 3060ti just sitting there. Just worth a look a few times a day just to see if they come up. 

9 hours ago, Mogster said:

I think Nvidia actually recommends two cables I used two of those "rats tail" ones for my 3080, which was a real faff to keep tidy.

Yeah, as soon as I get the 6pin extension cable I'll use two dedicated cables. Previously I just used small zip ties on the rat's tail to keep it close to the parent cable. 

3 minutes ago, idiwa said:

@RJames This isn't supposed to be a hahaha fuck you but I got mine from Scan when I randomly looked on the site and they had 3070s and 3060ti just sitting there. Just worth a look a few times a day just to see if they come up. 

I am on all the Discord and Telegrams. You actually can't look for/refresh the FE pages because they take them down when there's no stock.

The FE drops on Scan DO tend to last longer than the <5 seconds for other cards to instantly sell - typically a few minutes - but as I say, I know there hasn't been a 3080 FE drop in weeks.

If I wanted a 3070, I actually think that's much more attainable. The stock for those seems to drop daily (not the FE tho there was that drop a few days ago).
Someone on the Discord pointed out that a number of the cards from the Scan FE drop were listed immediately on ebay. So depressing!

Re-done the 3070 with an additional PCIe cable and a 6pin extensions the same as the 8pin. Also bung in the CoolerMaster 90 degree adapter for the 24pin ATX cable. 

idiwa-3070cables.thumb.jpeg.25eab05d0f698f84359079fa30587666.jpeg

1 minute ago, Uzi said:

RTX 3060 - eh whatever lol

...comes with 12GB vram at 329 dollars

*stares intensely at 10GB 3080*

At this rate, I'm fully expecting them to announce a 3080 Ti with more VRAM, but also for existing 3080 owners who manage to get stock to be able to sell their current 3080s at a gain to pay for the new card.

21 minutes ago, Isaac said:

At this rate, I'm fully expecting them to announce a 3080 Ti with more VRAM, but also for existing 3080 owners who manage to get stock to be able to sell their current 3080s at a gain to pay for the new card.

If they can actually buy a new card at RRP.

All a bit insane TBH. Nvidia should focus on trying to meet demand of the current cards it has on the market before bringing new models out all the time. At least it might help get the cards down to RRP.

31 minutes ago, MattyP said:

All a bit insane TBH. Nvidia should focus on trying to meet demand of the current cards it has on the market before bringing new models out all the time. At least it might help get the cards down to RRP.

tbf though, the majority of sales, are going to be 3060/3060ti and most likely 3050ti. look at the steam chart for gfx cards.

Plus, if a chip isnt good enough to go in a higher power gpu it could well be good enough for a lower end card, which means there coudl be more

6 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Yeah, feels like I could go double-or-quits on the PartAlert FE meryy-go-round! But I've no spare GFX card to use as a stop-gap while I gamble, I think I'll just try to forget all about this nonsense.

I *may* have secured a 3080 TUF from someone on PartAlert who has decided he only needs the 3060Ti he also got and will sell it to me at cost (£720). It's not delivered for a couple more weeks though so let's see? (!)

Am also trying to now seriously get the also perm out of stock case and PSU (NR200/Corsair SF750) that everyone also wants. I've just ordered them from the Czech Republic so let's see how that works out...

If I get EVERYTHING else at some point except the GPU, I guess it might be ebay time if this guy doesn't come through.

@spanx Overclockers now actually publishing the lengths of their queues and how many they’ve shipped. Both of us would still be 150 from the front - they’ve shipped only 150 TUFs in 4 months...

26 minutes ago, footle said:

@spanx Overclockers now actually publishing the lengths of their queues and how many they’ve shipped. Both of us would still be 150 from the front - they’ve shipped only 150 TUFs in 4 months...

Yeah, there's been a 'healthy' discussion on the OcUK forums about this. Although all these sites are printing money right now, I do think OcUK are being decently transparent about it.

The ASUS TUF queue I'm in has moved down by about 1000 places since Oct 2020 but from what I can make out, that's because about 800 people have left the queue/requested refunds not because cards have been delivered.

I know from that thread that Gibbo has admitted they haven't even managed to deliver cards to most ASUS customers from the first *hour* the cards went on sale. 

In my case, being past position 1000, it's very likely I'll never ever get one through them.

There’s “decently transparent”, which the likes of Scan were four months ago when they published their queues and drops. And then there’s Overclockers, who didn’t do this until this week. Until the beginning of the year they didn’t even say how many cards they were receiving - just ranges from 10-50.

12 minutes ago, footle said:

There’s “decently transparent”, which the likes of Scan were four months ago when they published their queues and drops. And then there’s Overclockers, who didn’t do this until this week. Until the beginning of the year they didn’t even say how many cards they were receiving - just ranges from 10-50.

OCUK were sending out queue positions from the start whilst I believe someone had to threaten Scan with a FOIA request to get them to do theirs.

Ultimately I have no love for either company and they’re both making an absolute killing this year, but they don’t have to do anything really. This is all Nvidia and AMDs fault, not theirs.

https://videocardz.com/newz/this-geforce-rtx-3080-ethereum-mining-rig-now-makes-20k-per-month

It's by far the best 'value' 'thing' you can buy in the 3080 and above arena that isn't a 3080 FE (which is super hard to get). I think they even still have some left to buy right now.

3080s going for £1200 easily on ebay so this is a 'good deal'. I realise it's all relative. But I was £750 out of pocket since October last year (with OcUK) so this doesn't feel like a huge chunk in one go (!).

Looking forward to Half-Life:Alyx, SW:Squadrons, Flight Sim 2020 and Cyberpunk :)

5 hours ago, RJames said:

It's by far the best 'value' 'thing' you can buy in the 3080 and above arena that isn't a 3080 FE (which is super hard to get). I think they even still have some left to buy right now.

3080s going for £1200 easily on ebay so this is a 'good deal'. I realise it's all relative. But I was £750 out of pocket since October last year (with OcUK) so this doesn't feel like a huge chunk in one go (!).

Looking forward to Half-Life:Alyx, SW:Squadrons, Flight Sim 2020 and Cyberpunk :)

About that last one...

8 hours ago, spanx said:

OMG Flight Sim 2020 in 4K is legitimately the best thing ever. Spent this evening admiring Kuala Lumpar from 10,000ft as the sun rose. 

FS2020 was the thing that made me want to get back in to the PC gaming game in the first place...

What sort of stick set up do you have? They are also all sold out !

I have an old USB flight stick from 10 years ago that hopefully will serve... if it still works...

1 hour ago, RJames said:

FS2020 was the thing that made me want to get back in to the PC gaming game in the first place...

What sort of stick set up do you have? They are also all sold out !

I have an old USB flight stick from 10 years ago that hopefully will serve... if it still works...

At present I’m just using a DualShock and m&k. Tbh it’s fine, although I am keeping an eye on stock levels for a mid range HOTAS. Nothing available though as you say. 

BTW, once you’re set up, recommend Squirrel on YouTube to get you oriented and understanding all the terminology, systems etc. His videos are great (he’s a trained pilot). 

I'm really impressed with my 3070. As an upgrade to a 1080ti it's perfect at 1440p to see me through another year of so of my trusty 6700K. I don't want to buy a new monitor until I can get an ultrawide OLED with VRR, and they won't be around for a year or so yet (LG are creeping toward it!)

Meanwhile my PC feels like it can breathe again in lots of the games I'm currently playing. I think the time for a new CPU, motherboard and 4xxx card or 3080ti style upgrade will be when console games start dropping back to 30fps. At the moment most things on PS5/Series X have a 60fps mode and that's good enough for me, I'll play the majority of games downstairs on my big LG OLED now rather than in-home streaming. But once that 60fps option starts to slip I'll want to brute force at least 60fps minimum via PC again.