NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

35 minutes ago, spanx said:

Well it turns out I’m golden. All rebared up. 

If Zotac get off their arses and put up the vbios then I would be too. Alas, they seem to be slacking in that area at the moment :( . 

Although...I wonder if I'd even notice the improvements really!

As a pc noob are there any precautions I can take before flashing my bios? I've found the right version and guide on the MSI website but I've never done this before and it's a bit dangerous if it goes wrong right?

15 minutes ago, Minion said:

As a pc noob are there any precautions I can take before flashing my bios? I've found the right version and guide on the MSI website but I've never done this before and it's a bit dangerous if it goes wrong right?

In my lifetime I've never seen a BIOS update fail. The main thing is not to interrupt it.

10 minutes ago, Mogster said:

In my lifetime I've never seen a BIOS update fail. The main thing is not to interrupt it.

Excellent cheers, I'll give it a go when I'm brave enough. 

Has anyone done this yet and noticed any difference?

31 minutes ago, Minion said:

A console or phone updating is no different and just as risky (ie not very unless your power goes out mid firmware update) 

MSI released a beta BIOS for my mobo last week, and Palit put up a VBIOS for my 3080 this morning.  Flashed them both.  Made sure I was in UEFI mode (not CSM) for the motherboard.

Using an R9 3900X (which the Nvidia website seems to indicate  isn't supported) but its working fine:

BAR.jpg

now to test a few games to see if theres any improvement

My motherboard/CPU are too old for this BAR business, but I do notice that there's a newer BIOS for my 3080FE than I have on the card now. Reckon I should update anyway, and should I use a particular tool for that? I can only find out about this via things like techpowerup rather than Nvidia themselves, which seems odd.

8 minutes ago, milko said:

My motherboard/CPU are too old for this BAR business, but I do notice that there's a newer BIOS for my 3080FE than I have on the card now. Reckon I should update anyway, and should I use a particular tool for that? I can only find out about this via things like techpowerup rather than Nvidia themselves, which seems odd.

I haven't updated mine yet, but this should be what you're after:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5165

It's got links for update tools for The FE and third party cards.

Thanks. Blimey that tool is quick, I was just having a look to see if it thought I could do it or would reject my system, and it got cracking and executed the update, took about 30s from thinking "let's have a look" to it being all done! Anyway, I do indeed not have a resizable BAR as expected, but I guess any other firmware improvements are rolled in now.

Well that was a fucking nightmare (as I kinda expected it might be).

Update GPU vBIOS -> BitLocker recovery
Update Motherboard BIOS -> all BIOS settings lost including TPM config, underclocking settings, XMP and others -> BitLocker recovery again -> Windows Activation Fail -> find product key again and re-activate...

Oh and all my fan curves and RGB settings that stem from the Gigabyte Windows apps also ALL RESET. FFS.

An hour later and it's mostly sorted. Except the RGBs are still all stuck on burnt ochre.

THANKS PCs.

Oh no that really puts me off I don't want my fan settings reset, I guess I could check and log everything before hand. The product key thing though that's a bigger concern, my pc was built by ccl online so I'm not even sure if I have the MB product key, I'll have to dig around the boxes I still have.

Advice to my past self: until you're actually seeing frame rates below 100+, don't try to optimise or change ANYTHING whilst it's all working.

Just noticed its lost my work VPN settings (which should be coming from just signing in with my AAD account) and I can't sign in to another work thing (which should also work through AAD).

Gah. Fixed most of that but now also notice it lost my custom GPU voltage curve in MSI Afterburner too.

Again, yes, I should've known, but I genuinely didn't think flashing BIOS would lose *all settings everywhere*. I guess they're keyed to some device ID that changes when the BIOS is updated.

Incidentally, if you don't undervolt, you really should. On the GPU especially it's super easy and has HUGE benefits:

Anytime you update your bios it will reset your bios settings. I take pictures of my settings before doing it for fan curves/xmp etc and then plug it back in.

It's a bit late now, but you can backup your Gigabyte fan settings from the same screen you set them from.

I was a bit confused at first after updating everything, but then I realised you actually had to turn on the setting the BIOS. I now have Resizable BAR! So back to Monster Hunter on the Switch.:ph34r:

Yeah it makes no sense that flashing the BIOS would lose the settings in a Windows app. It’s just terrible lazy design and engineering.

But given what I know about Gigabyte I should’ve guessed!

Well, my new PC which I splurged a crazy amount of money on has finally arrived. I've been promising myself a new PC since my old PC (780GTX SLI setup) broke and I've been using Shadow to tide me over. Forked over £3,750(!) and am now in possession of a 10900K, 32gb RAM, 3090 FTW3 OC, 2TB NVMe SSD machine. It was originally supposed to be a 5900X, but I was 460th in the queue and after a couple of months of no arrivals got fed up waiting for the thing and went with Intel. I think the only real difference is in multithreaded performance and improvement in certain games. It also originally was supposed to be a stock 3090, but they upgraded me for free (worth about £200) as there was little likelihood they'd ever get the other card in.

Overall I'm obviously really impressed by it. Scores 18-19K on 3D Mark and can easily manage 60fps lock in Cyberpunk at max settings in 4k (70-80fps at ultra everything in RDR2). Compared to running (streaming) on the Shadow everything looks so damn sharp. Even though I was streaming at 70mbps, there were obviously still compression artefacts and smoothing. This post is not strictly RTX 3000 specific but I am glad I managed to secure mine even if I did have to compromise on the CPU.

I am just waiting now until a cheap(er) HDMI 2.1 monitor is released. I've got an old 4K 60fps monitor which is fine, but it doesn't support HDR or anything nice like that. Hopefully give it a year and prices will come down as I definitely feel poor enough without shelling out a further £1k on a monitor.

12 hours ago, RJames said:

Yeah it makes no sense that flashing the BIOS would lose the settings in a Windows app. It’s just terrible lazy design and engineering.

But given what I know about Gigabyte I should’ve guessed!

I think the fan profile is saved to the BIOS regardless of whether you set it there or from the Windows app.

3 hours ago, tronied said:

Forked over £3,750(!) and am now in possession of a 10900K, 32gb RAM, 3090 FTW3 OC, 2TB NVMe SSD machine. It was originally supposed to be a 5900X, but I was 460th in the queue and after a couple of months of no arrivals got fed up waiting for the thing and went with Intel. I think the only real difference is in multithreaded performance and improvement in certain games. It also originally was supposed to be a stock 3090, but they upgraded me for free (worth about £200) as there was little likelihood they'd ever get the other card in.

Depending on how much anyone is considering being fleeced on eBay (anything from £1900 to £2879 based on completed listings yesterday), and how much was splurged on the other items (Motherboard, Case, Power Supply and if Windows is included), that can be considered a relative bargain. 2TB NVME and 32GB of RAM featuring decent timings doesn't come cheap, that's for sure.

And good job on the 10900K - the follow-up to that particular processor is not being looked too kindly upon.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to fucking around and finding out about Resizable BAR at the weekend - I think Zotac's firmware for the feature is now out, and so is my B450 board BIOS, so I guess I can look forward to some free performance - Which I'll end up immediately not using because the fans in the Trinity models sound like a jet engine.

Once the warranty is up, I'll definitely be trying my hand at removing the shroud and slapping on some 120mm fans on the sucker.