IGNORED

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

11 hours ago, Benny said:

This shit is getting as bad as all that image processing guff you have to turn off on TVs.

You have to go out of your way to turn it on lol

7 hours ago, layten said:

If Nvidia can stuff all their AI tech into a mobile chipset the Switch2 could legit compete graphically with the PS5/XSX.

Nintendo lol. They wouldn't be interested unless it was older tech than the average tik tokker

Give it to lord gaben for deck 2

2 hours ago, Uzi said:

Nintendo lol. They wouldn't be interested unless it was older tech than the average tik tokker

Give it to lord gaben for deck 2

Nvidia can't make x86 SoCs, so that's not going to happen either.

12 hours ago, layten said:

If Nvidia can stuff all their AI tech into a mobile chipset the Switch2 could legit compete graphically with the PS5/XSX.

A 3050 level Switch 2 would be awesome, but as others have said that’s not happening for multiple reasons.

The sensible thing for Nintendo to do would be to wait out this supply shortage until that tech is indeed available. I don't think bumping up specs to a base PS4/Deck standard would make much of an impact, and would pretty much rule out 4K gaming from the get go.

I'd be more than happy to wait until 2025/26 for a successor. If a mobile chip is off the table then beef out the dock somehow.

Just now, Super Craig said:

There's also no way that Nintendo is going to release a hybrid console and cannibalise their hardware sales.

I dunno…Nintendo have this habit of confounding everybody all the time, so I wouldn’t put it past ‘em.

3 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

There's also no way that Nintendo is going to release a hybrid console and cannibalise their hardware sales.

I think you're being sarcastic, but the DS family would like a word anyway.

Eep, I was just asking about the new featureset in AtF; didnt realise it was already being discussed here.

tldr - can someone explain to me (as if I were a very smart 10-yr old) how they can do this without the performance hit?

I understand how dlss saves performance, as it's rendering at a lower res and upscaling, but this is rendering at a higher res for more detail and downscaling. So how is doing that at 1620 supposedly the same fps as running natively at 1080?

Now, the integration of reshade filters (which I wasnt that aware of til now) on the other hand, that does sound good if it can run without a huge hit. I have a load of older titles I've yet to catch up on after missing a whole gen or two of pc gaming, so I imagine something like Sekiro or (as demonstrated) Prey would benefit hugely. It might be 'faking' RT a bit but if it looks good who cares?

1 hour ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Eep, I was just asking about the new featureset in AtF; didnt realise it was already being discussed here.

tldr - can someone explain to me (as if I were a very smart 10-yr old) how they can do this without the performance hit?

I understand how dlss saves performance, as it's rendering at a lower res and upscaling, but this is rendering at a higher res for more detail and downscaling. So how is doing that at 1620 supposedly the same fps as running natively at 1080?

the rescaling takes place on different hardware cores - as opposed to a conflict as in the AMD cards.

2 hours ago, footle said:

the rescaling takes place on different hardware cores - as opposed to a conflict as in the AMD cards.

That makes sense, it’s more that it has to render the frame at a higher res. It’s like reverse DLSS… DLSS is good because it makes your graphics betterer with more frames and shit

Why is downscaling good, is it mainly for 1080p folks who are looking to get a cleaner image. 

I. AM. CONFUSED

Need some advice please: I can't just buy any random 3060 or 3070 as they need to fit in my Dan A4 SFF case. Only a few work. What am I supposed to do when a random card drops? I can't check its compatibility due to time pressure. Buy it and try to find something to trade?

46 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Need some advice please: I can't just buy any random 3060 or 3070 as they need to fit in my Dan A4 SFF case. Only a few work. What am I supposed to do when a random card drops? I can't check its compatibility due to time pressure. Buy it and try to find something to trade?

Buy whatever comes along. If it doesn’t fit you’re pretty much guaranteed to be able to sell it for for more thn you paid for it!

On 12/01/2022 at 18:07, spanx said:

That makes sense, it’s more that it has to render the frame at a higher res. It’s like reverse DLSS… DLSS is good because it makes your graphics betterer with more frames and shit

Why is downscaling good, is it mainly for 1080p folks who are looking to get a cleaner image. 

I. AM. CONFUSED

exactly. It’s basically fancy anti-aliasing - more pixels in the initial image means more information is retained.

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

In addition to echoing @JoeK, you can also look into deshrouding the card if it's with the rights of the warranty to do so and you have adequate cooling.  You could also look into case mods, like this.

Neither are ideal, but the retail market is equally crap, unfortunately.

4 hours ago, alex3d said:

You could just buy it, check the list then cancel your order if it's too big. If it's too late to cancel then you'd just have to sell it on like joek said, or return it.

@alex3d there are a few sites with card dimensions, so easiest is just know your shortlist of possible cards so when they pop up you know. Worst case you get a card (which will be bloody hard anyway) then have to sell it on, and there will be no shortage of buyers. 

6 hours ago, alex3d said:

@alex3d

https://dan-cases.com/dana4_faq.html

Then go to FAQ, Does GPU XYZ fit?

Here's the link to the SFF forums where Dan posts.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/category/dan/

I have a Gigabyte NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060 Ti Eagle 8GB in my Dan A4 which fits fine. I did take the bracket off (the hdmi, DVI etc metal bracket) to give greater air flow and the front and back panels are off to give better airflow and to decrease sound.

Also, if you're looking for a 3060, a one fan card might be the way forward? If you can find one...

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards-Components/Graphics-Cards/Phoenix/PH-RTX3060-12G/

I'm really interested in seeing how long before some proper tech channels get testing done, see if those performance claims are at all accurate. Tbh I suspect I might get more use out of the filters than the downscaling though, unless that really gets you a lot of extra detail. The use-case for SSAO might be a bit limited as the game environment would presumably need enough geometric 'clutter' for natural light-traps to occur enough to be noticeable, but for last gen stuff I can imagine it working.

It's weird that a driver update is legitimately mildly exciting though.

2 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

New driver is out with the fancy new DLDSR (Deep Learning Dynamic Super Resolution) support.

Be careful with this.....

!!PSA / WARNING ABOUT THE CURRENT LAUNCH VERSION OF DLDSR!!

The drivers will frequently bug out and cause incomplete resolution changes - causing a black screen that can only be fixed by a hard reset.

!!DO NOT CHANGE YOUR WINDOWS RESOLUTION TO A DLDSR RESOLUTION - ONLY THE GAME!!
It can bug out just like in-game, but this one would be permanent. If you do want to try it make sure you have a restore USB ready to boot into Safe Mode and a recent restore point.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/god-of-war-game-ready-driver/

DLSS is an upscaler. It's for more performance.

Spoiler

Remaster Classic Games With AI-Powered DSR and Advanced Freestyle Filters

Our latest Game Ready Driver adds DLDSR (Deep Learning Dynamic Super Resolution), an AI-powered enhancement of NVIDIA DSR, which renders a game at higher, more detailed resolution before intelligently shrinking the result back down to the resolution of your monitor. This downsampling method improves image quality by enhancing detail, smoothing edges, and reducing shimmering.

DLDSR improves upon DSR by adding an AI network that requires fewer input pixels, making the image quality of DLDSR 2.25X comparable to that of DSR 4X, but with higher performance. DLDSR works in most games on GeForce RTX GPUs, thanks to their Tensor Cores. 

DSR, in any form, is a downscaler. It's for when you have too much GPU headroom and want to spend that performance on a higher target resolution. It's for image quality, just like the old DSR. If it looks the same, turn it off. It's not going to be faster than native.

It's only for performance if you were using DSR and the old scaling method was slow. Which is what Nvidia points out in their blog. i.e. It's faster than old Super Sampling DSR. They're basically getting the Tensor cores to perform the function of DSR. Tbh almost no one uses DSR anyway because it fucks the UI. (i.e. 4k scaled down to a 1080p screen is shite for text in games even if your RTX3080 can handle it).

I guess this new feature might be good for older games, assuming the tiny text issues are mitigated. 8K Command and Conquer or something.

If a modern game is using DLSS and you enable DSR, you'd probably only notice improvements in stuff that has a low sample resolution. i.e. raytraced reflections. Doom Eternal might be one to check to see any benefits, or if it even works while DLSS is active.

Think of it as real-time Ansel.

Hmm, and here I was hoping it'd be pretty much game-agnostic.

Still, according to their testing it isnt available for Prey, which was literally their exemplar game for the press release, so I wonder if it isnt working as intended. Will have to see if they say anything in coming days I guess, hope for a hotfix.