NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

I've been playing both Sega Rally Revo and Outrun 2 C2C (with rumble patched in) at 8K down sampled to 4K all afternoon. They look beautiful and run flawless. This is great for older games, really cleans up the image, C2C looks particularly sweet. Man, I wished they still made games like this, and as much as I like Horizon or stuff like Cruis'n Blast, they aren't the same.

As I say, this is great for older games. Off to MyAbandonware.com for a peruse for some more gold.

3 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Err how do you turn the dldsrs off? I switched it on to try and see no difference at all in Days Gone and Witcher 3. There doesn't seem to be an off option though, just a list of resolutions.

NV control panel, manage 3D settings (situated at top left of left side menu), DSR factors, then uncheck all the boxes in the drop down menu.

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think I just got a 3060 Ti at Scan. They charged me £369, then gave it back, but the order seems to be there on my account. 

I’m not sure I’m going to keep it. What would be a good budget CPU to pair it with?

I’ve got mine paired with a Ryzen 5 5600x. 

I don't know why I wanted one - I have a Series X and a PS5 but am a bit disappointed. I think I basically want to rebuild my PC, even if it then sits unused. So probably fortunate that it didn't go through, though I'm still at a loss to why they charged me and said it went through but it all failed.

• 5 months later...

I saw that this morning. Nearly bought a 3080TI but sense prevailed and I'm holding off until the 4XXX cards, it would see some fine gains over my 2080TI but I'll chill for a whole new build later in the year, early next. Bought a leaf blower instead. Was a tenner off.

Also had an alert for a PS5 (not Amazon), was bundled with another Dualshock and GT7, £570. Had it at checkout and thought "hang on, I already have a PS5 an extra Dualshock and GT7". Bought a Bosch 20v lithium power drill instead. £70 off.

Fucking, Prime day bullshit preying on my weak will.

• 1 month later...

Almost two years after deciding to build a gaming PC around a 3080, I finally have one on the way. My 1660 Super “temporary” card has done a fine job and, really, the games I play don’t really demand a 3080, but it was the whole reason for me trying to get back into PC gaming. 

Ordered a MSI 3080 gaming z trio 10gb I think. Should be here by Tuesday. 

Over two years after the date I roughly pencilled in for a full upgrade I have finally got.. A 3050 lol.

Since it seems like a bad time to do a full new system with loads of new stuff imminent I put that on the back burner for a bit longer, but it turned out that it's actually a good time for me to buy an OLED since the C1s are going cheap and the C2s are a downgrade for certain things that I care about, like black frame insertion. Which meant I needed something with HDMI 2.1 and it seemed a bit pointless going above the entry level really, considering the age of everything else. After selling my 1060 it only cost about £90 so well worth it just to be able to actually output 4k120 (which, to be honest, a fair chunk of my backlog and things I'd like to replay can actually hit OK even on this relatively weak system).

Hopefully it'll be a fairly short stop-gap and I'll be able to grab a 4070/4080/AMD equivalent along with a nice new processor maybe early 2023.. But the way everything's gone in recent years I'm definitely not setting my heart on it just yet. I've been hurt too many times!

26 minutes ago, Len said:

Yeh, I just got that mail. Bring it on and take my money. 

I’m more than likely going to need a new CPU and mobo to go alongside. Unfortunately I need to save up over the next three years for an EV instead, so I’ll probably be skipping this gen. It’s not so much the cash, obtaining a 3080 took way too much time and energy out of me despite the upgrade only costing about €50.

Let’s see, anyway. Miners shouldn’t be too interested so availability might not be a concern. If I can upgrade for less than €200 I’ll be happy.

Just now, layten said:

Prices are gonna be painful with the pound in the toilet.

I have every confidence that with Liz Truss in command, and fresh minting of coin with King Charles on, the British Empire will be along shortly to reclaim the colonies and the rest of the world, and the pound will soar.

2 minutes ago, Sane said:

What games would you need a 4000 card for that a 3080 can't run at high settings/framerates? I thought a 3080 was already overkill for pretty much everything.

If you're running at 4k then there are plenty of games that'll need tinkering with to run at 60fps+. If you're gaming at 1440p, then it is perfect.

11 minutes ago, Sane said:

What games would you need a 4000 card for that a 3080 can't run at high settings/framerates? I thought a 3080 was already overkill for pretty much everything.

You are not meant to stop and ask yourself if you should, only whether you could*.

* And even then you can turn off the heating for a few minutes to afford it and once you've got one it is the heating.

1 hour ago, Sane said:

It’s at the point again where my 3900x (admittedly not great single core) is more of a bottleneck than the 3080. But that’s what VRR is for.

I don’t see how anyone will justify the £1200 a 4080 will cost ;)

45 minutes ago, Benny said:

I don't understand the obsession of getting 4k anyway. You can barely tell the difference from 1440p most of the time. Even more so in a fast moving driving game. 120fps though, that's a bit different.

120fps seriously fucks up my eyes. The only way I could play the Doom games is by dropping it down to 60, lest my eyes started to melt, and my brain hurt.

13 minutes ago, JoeK said:

120fps seriously fucks up my eyes. The only way I could play the Doom games is by dropping it down to 60, lest my eyes started to melt, and my brain hurt.

It’s the opposite for me now. 60 isn’t enough for some games.

I’d like to upgrade so that the incremental price increases across generations isn’t as much of an impact if I’m out of the loop for a few turns. It’s a bit like car/house ownership, but on a hobbyist scale. There are no games I desperately need a 40XX for, unlike the time the 3080 was fresh.