NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

21 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Just watched the digital foundry video. Some of the games weren’t hitting 4k 60 with the 3080 card. I was expecting it to bash through that ceiling. 

Yeah - thats annoying me.

It'll need DLSS2 in some games.

I mean FS only runs at approx. 45fps. I mean sure its rendering a full planet. But you have to kill the real planet to get it.

22 minutes ago, Dimahoo said:

Yeah - thats annoying me.

It'll need DLSS2 in some games.

I mean FS only runs at approx. 45fps. I mean sure its rendering a full planet. But you have to kill the real planet to get it.

Indeed.

Those videos were all rasterisation focussed and, as such, show the brute GPU force. Throw in DLSS 2 and 4K @ 60fps will not be a problem.

FS is all about the CPU, no surprise that it doesn’t see the huge improvements there games have shown.

14 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Has anyone seen any Blender benchmarks? Everyone just seems to be showing gaming performance.

This is a GPU thread mate, not the kitchen utensil thread (despite all those spatulas in the reveal vid).

Software ultra settings will ALWAYS stay ahead of current hardware in current high tech based games that are cutting edge.

They could just make those sliders invisible and have them stop at medium/high (RDR2 for example on console runs at low or lower than low settings) and call it ultra ant run at 100fps but then that software wouldn't be very cutting edge and allow re visitation with future hardware. Maxing all sliders isn't necessarily smart with the price you pay for the visuals you get in return. Rise of the Tomb Raider couldn't run at 4k 60 when it came out on full settings and now a lower than top range gpu can do 4k 120fps on it with ease. 

16 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

Im gaming at 1440 so ill stick with my 2080ti, im only on a 60fps monitor anyway.

It very much an upgrade for pascal or below.

Flight simulator is something where it’d be interesting to see someone turn on the developer mode statistics when quoting figures. The Verge reviewer got identical (crap) figures at 1440p and 4K, and didn’t think to consider whether that hinted that he was cpu limited.

38 minutes ago, simms said:

I'll leave this here

WDLPCSpecs_RTX-v9_Blue-960.jpg.b0bcea92e0e2081b00343351158721df.jpg

11GB Ram. Oh dear.

Watchdogs (and Breakpoint - which i've not seen tested yet) should be an interesting one as Wildlands which uses Anvil 2 struggles to maintain 60fps @ 4K whereas all the Watchdogs games use Destro or whatever its called. But the worlds in Watchdogs are MUCH smaller.

Apparently Ubisoft engines are not that well optimised - if compared to something like GTA 5, however again, both Wildlands and Breakpoint are much bigger gameworlds and feature more mountains and...ahem..deciduous use of trees.

2 hours ago, simms said:

I'll leave this here

WDLPCSpecs_RTX-v9_Blue-960.jpg.b0bcea92e0e2081b00343351158721df.jpg

Oh dear

Many games allocate aside the full VRAM available on a card - most games do NOT use that full vram 

4 hours ago, robdood said:

Not that I can see, yet.  

I love that my ageing 970 (bought in 2014!) isn't even included at the bottom of the comparison charts :D

I was thinking the same. Still runs most games at high settings at 1080/60 :hug:

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

Fuck Ubisoft, fuck their games, and fuck their engines.

There'll be a Legions code going in the 'for free' thread if I'm lucky enough to score a card tomorrow.

Perhaps instead of giving it away for free, ask somebody to make a donation to an appropriate charity that helps deal with abuse of women in exchange?

1 minute ago, Sumire said:

Do you think it is going to be a massive bottleneck if I have a Intel i7 6700k and went for a 3080? 

I think the only bottleneck is actually what resolution you’re running at. At 1080p, it could be an issue, the higher up you are you should be perfectly fine for now.

17 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I think the only bottleneck is actually what resolution you’re running at. At 1080p, it could be an issue, the higher up you are you should be perfectly fine for now.

Cool, thanks, I was kind of hoping that was the conclusion.

2 minutes ago, layten said:

I will bet an amount of money that the difference of 1GB VRAM between the 2080ti and 3080 will make fuck all difference to this game.

It is meaningless - they just put in the VRAM of whatever card they are recommending. 

Either the founders edition or the Zotac, although I do have a couple of the other AIB cards bookmarked too.  I'm not sure it's going to be a good strategy for me to try navigating two websites at the same time though, so I'm almost certain to miss out as I'm sure there are more nimble fingered people around (and buying bots).  We'll see.

• Meat changed the title to NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion