NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Without wanting to pry too much into people's personal finances, I'm quite surprised at the number of people who have £600-700 readily available for a new graphics card. Those of you who have one, or who are trying to buy one - is this money that you've been saving for a while in anticipation of these cards being released, or is it money you'd kept back for the new consoles that you've decided to spend on a 3080 instead, or are you all just considerably richer than me?

I saved up for one for a while by sticking the odd £50 in a Monzo pot, then had to spend a load of money at the vet in an emergency, so I've bunged it on Paypal Credit while I wait for the insurer to pay out.

I told myself months ago it was a PS5 or new GPU. I did have a moment of madness trying to preorder the new Xbox on the all access thing but that thankfully fell through and I came to my senses.

6 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Without wanting to pry too much into people's personal finances, I'm quite surprised at the number of people who have £600-700 readily available for a new graphics card. Those of you who have one, or who are trying to buy one - is this money that you've been saving for a while in anticipation of these cards being released, or is it money you'd kept back for the new consoles that you've decided to spend on a 3080 instead, or are you all just considerably richer than me?

Yeah, I've been putting money away all year for a new telly and PS5. Managed to save more than hoped though so binned a PS5 off and decided to go PC instead.

I'm not rich by any means, but I've never really spent a lot on me over the years so I have a decent stash of money in my bank account. Plus, as mentioned, wfh has saved me a significant amount of money, as has not having a holiday, to the point that I can buy the card without really noticing it.

13 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I'm building a new pc from scratch. It's probably going to cost about £2400ish when all is said and done and including a monitor in that. I can't afford to do that all in one go, so I'm doing it over a period of about three months, give or take and depending on when 3080s are easier to get, buying a few bits each month and sticking them in the cupboard. Last month was the mother board and processor, this month it was the case, memory and cooler. Given I was going to spend almost £1000 on ps5 and xsx which I'm now not doing, I see it as a good investment putting that money into the pc instead. I hadn't saved any money for any of this. Might have been quicker if I had. 

On 30/09/2020 at 18:06, Jamie John said:

1. I just I sold my 1080Ti for a very good price.

2. It's a company purchase. So I don't pay VAT. That's 21% rebated at the end of the quarter.

3. I can't afford either next-gen console. Not even the Series S.

4. I've not bought a game since December 2018.

All said and done it's costing around €80 to upgrade.

6 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I've been planning a PC upgrade for a long time (current PC has a nine year old CPU and motherboard arrangement and a five year old GPU) and had been awaiting this card before going ahead. The cards are considerably more powerful than I had been expecting and, despite the high cost, cheaper than expected too. I'll wait until the next generation of AMD CPU's are out in the wild in the next few months and then throw this card into a machine that will be a multi generational leap over my current build and should see me playing at the prettiest smoothest settings for a very long time to come.

PC has been my primary gaming platform for years now. I'm not buying any of the new consoles as there is little point in buying another Xbox when the PC will play the vast majority of its titles to a much higher visual quality and t he PS5 is just too monstrous looking to allow into the house. I suspect there are plenty more in the respective console threads throwing in excess of £500 at those though...

20 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Business expenses!

23 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Realistically some people will make decent salaries but may also have different life circumstances and choices. £700 to 800 isn't a big deal every two years if you sell your old hardware and make a lot pf it back. I'm also cheap and frugal in a lot of aspects of life. I prefer not to spend on stuff like coffee shops when working and over two years choices like that pays for a gpu anyway. 

25 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I work in a job where besides a basic salary I also make commission, and that can be pretty chunky at times. 

I am lucky enough to be able to treat myself to things like this without too much thought.

Having a ludicrous 0% for 24 months credit card limit (£18k) also makes the purchase pretty easy to make. Probably too easy. It certainly enabled me to have three open preorders back when I was hunting for the card with pretty much zero hassle or upfront capital.

I'm just coming along for the ride.  I think I want one, but don't actually have a PC at all, and am waiting for the new AMD stuff.  I don't really want to spend what a PC costs, but do want to do what a PC does.  I have a PS5 and a Series X preordered, but if I go PC, the X preorder will be cancelled.  I'm also TV shopping, though I don't think the TV I want exists yet!

I earn a decent amount (for someone working technically, in public sector anyway), and my mortgage payments are below the 28% golden rule.

I'm also quite frugal in other aspects, I rarely drink, don't smoke, don't drink coffee never mind spend ludicrous amounts on them daily etc. and tend to buy things to last, and keep them until utter destruction, unless I can fix them.

Basically, my savings account will take a hit if I do get one, then the rest of a PC to go around it, but I'll be aiming to do little to nothing else to the PC for this generation, so aiming for 6-7 years out of it...

I might not even buy one.  I had the Very one in my basket and by the time I'd deliberated, it was sold out, then I regretted it.  If it was a £650 variety, I'd have insta-bought it though.  Similar happened on launch day as I had a £780 variety in a basket at Currys for local store collection, and couldn't do it.  I guess I need to just make the decision!

56 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I'm a relatively low wage earner, but I'm in the lucky position of having a Mortgage that's now only costing me £200 a month, and have a partner to split bills with.

I live pretty frugally, and save incredibly hard, and then periodically splurge it on things I enjoy. It's seen best with how I do holidays - my last actual holiday was 4 years ago, and I hadn't been out of the country for about 10 years before that. But the holiday was a full on African Safari and it was the most incredible thing.

So financially, I'm the absolute epitome of feast and famine, and I'm pretty happy with that.

1 minute ago, pledge said:

The number of people looking at a Braun 3080 shaver at Very is likely much higher than it usually is.  They still have the MSI 3090 in stock at £1500

It's such a stupid price. The 3090 only shaves about 10% better than the 3080 on sub-4K faces.

Crazy mark up.

53 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

This thread will attract people who can afford £700 graphics cards.

Five years ago, when I was still able to travel and go on fun holidays, and needed to save for a house deposit and a kitchen refurb, I didn’t get a 1080Ti because it was too expensive.

Now, I’ve not been on holiday this summer, don’t see myself spending a huge amount of money on a holiday in the next nine months... etc.

8 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

It's such a stupid price. The 3090 only shaves about 10% better than the 3080 on sub-4K faces.

Crazy mark up.

Littlewoods changed the price of the MSI 3080 to £969, so someone there realised they had a hot item and likely redirected some Very stock.

47 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Mostly option 1, really. I've been on the dole enough times to consider that I should save a fair amount of my money when I am in a job, so I can at least have a reasonable level of living if it all goes wrong.

Combine that with a job that I'm thankful for - which pays more than enough for my outgoings - and a circle of friends who are either online or looking after their kids, and that ends up being a situation where I can shrug off most of a 3080 when the BACS rolls in.

Another factor is my current card - I've been on the 1070 for about four years, and it's been such a worthwhile venture into PC gaming that it has enabled me to scrabble enough over that time to get the next card that is delivers a shitload of performance for about the same amount of money and some more on top. I'm still in the mindset that I want a 3070 for power draw and potential bang-per-buck, but I'm willing to take whatever there is outside of a 3090 once stock and price stabilises.

I'd probably take a 0% Money Transfer on my credit card and pay it off over the course of a few months, mind. I'd prefer having some breathing room if anything else shits the bed (car, living arrangements, buying some crisps off the black market during lockdown, etc).

1 hour ago, Dimahoo said:

I started saving as soon as i'd built my current machine. I say current but its likely to be my future machine for quite some bloody time <_<.

At anyrate - i've been saving for 3 years.

Hah! I do this exact thing too. It makes sense though, this isn't going to be my last PC (assuming I survive Brexit).

edit - I've just realised that if @Uzi, @Moz and I get these Very orders we could get a forum sub-name like "The MSI Trio". Wouldn't that be an absolutely stomachable thing to do?

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Rainy day fund that I have for impulse purchases or unexpected outgoings. Upgraded my PC earlier this year but stopped short of a new GPU because I knew the new one were coming.

I’ve got £1200 set aside for a GPU and a PS5 and I cant get either :(

Bloody OCuk are apparently letting people jump queues. They retain their numbered position from their previous queue in the new queue. so if that person was 10th for a MSI gaming TRIO and jump to a TUF OC, they're 10th in that queue instead, pushing everyone back. And would you believe it...every fucker has jumped to it.

1 hour ago, Lying Cat said:

Crazy mark up.

The sad thing at the moment is that currently I’ve spent more than that on the 3080 ;) . 

One of them does say cancelled, but it might take a little while to come back to me :P 

Edit. With regards to how I can pay for the thing, it’s really like a lot of others...sell off old tech, plus the genuine surprise that the 3080 was priced the way it was meant that it’s a fairly easy and inexpensive thing...kind of ;)

Have OC always been shit? I don't have any real positive feelings thus far - I got a TUF order in, and I can't cope with the forums, full of mentalists. But I've had no info from them, and hearing people are just swapping their orders for different cards doesn't feel right. But on the flipside I *am* in a queue.

Tempted to bin the whole thing off tbh. The feeding frenzy is just a bit depressing. 

• Meat changed the title to NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion