NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

10 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Power consumption too. If AMD can put something out that can compete with 3070/3080 performance without requiring the sacrifice of a small forest to power then they get my money.

image.png.f72c095af18b096bbc45666b5b3a46ec.png

It should realistically be within grasp of a 3080 from all the spec leaks this is what makes sense. DLSS is the main other consideration but at the moment i genuinely think the true price of picking up a 3080 will be around 750 plus. If big navi is around 600 ish it'll be very difficult to justify DLSS for an extra 100-150 as technically its no longer free performance in that consiferation. Its amazing performance but still only in a relative minority of games (although in the triple a sector where it is needed it is getting more common). 

The 16gb will be a nice bonus too

16 minutes ago, Moz said:

If stock levels are better it'll be the only choice, which could play hugely in their favour.

Gears, Borderlands a few others are listed on the AMD Gaming page and are part of comarketing deals (tressFX baby!) I'll be interested to see performance in games that haven't had that sort of attention from AMD.

https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/featured-games

Very true - everything to be taken with a pinch of salt but it definitely looks closer to a 3080 on average than a 3070/2080ti

It just needs to undercut the current rate of a 3080 which is £750plus by £100 - be readily available and it'll completely change the AMD mindshare for the higher end 

Still assuming there'll be some magical supply of 3080s that Nvidia and their partners find down the back of the sofa, some time around 28th Oct.

A roughly 3080 level card that's a) cheaper and b) less power hungry is a tempting proposition though. Of course, it'll get scalped to hell just like the 3080 though.

Exactly. If AMD come with a strong message of on par fps, a competitive price and have 100k units ready to ship. Then they might score big here. Nvidia have created a massive demand, but just aren't able to fill it. It all I think depends on how AMD have built their supply line. If it is pushed to the limits because of the consoles they may be a bit fucked, but if they've built in that capacity, then christ the turns may table. 

43 minutes ago, snowbind said:

Exactly. If AMD come with a strong message of on par fps, a competitive price and have 100k units ready to ship. Then they might score big here. Nvidia have created a massive demand, but just aren't able to fill it. It all I think depends on how AMD have built their supply line. If it is pushed to the limits because of the consoles they may be a bit fucked, but if they've built in that capacity, then christ the turns may table. 

This makes me somewhat naively hope that AMD do pull out a blinder of a gfx card, price it reasonably, and have stock to back it up with - such that Nvidia are suddenly left with a situation where they just ramped up 3080 production massively and have their glut of cards hit the market just when they'rere no longer the only show in town. 

...and therefore the price of those 3rd party Nvidia boards all drop down towards the FE RRP.

Even if AMD bring out an equal card to a 3080 I think I'm still going to pick a 3080 because my monitor has the GSync module, and I love the ideas of DLSS.

Do we have any details on how AMDs raytracing support looks?

3 hours ago, Moz said:

Aye, it's a shitty boomer company that deserves to die. Amazon is a corporate deathcult but at least they can sell you a product without it turning into a Greek tragedy. 

Boomer company? I thought they're basically what Littlewoods and Woolworths turned into.

The only PC part store I think is remotely decent is Scan. Helps that you get free postage if you sign up to the Hexus forums.

Overclockers are the scummiest of them all. Aria are also terrible.

6 hours ago, jonamok said:

Hearing the Very horror stories has me worried about my PS5 Pre-order with them now. :unsure:

2020 tech, like all things in this cursed year, is an utter shitshow.

Very are fine. They're getting bad mouthed in this thread for sure, and for good reason, but most of the time they are bang on. There are very few places where you can get a variety of kit for 12 months interest free without inflated prices.

Thanks, I hope so to. Believe it when I see it though mind and still sat in the evga queue which was the card I wanted but tbh they're all monsters and this by far the nicest looking.

Now back to my G9 or 48CX dilemma. ;) 

4 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

If it were me, I'd go with the latter. The HDR will be amazing and 4k/120hz will make the most of your gigantic new card.

I've got to say that is the way I am leaning for exactly those reasons. 

I know the absolute jaw dropping delights of OLED and HDR as have got a LG 65E7 on the wall in my front room (even my wife admits it looks good and that is high praise indeed!)

I love my CRG9 ultrawide atm but the delights of a 48CX outweigh it in an upgrade to a G9, I think? My one big concern which I've discussed with Uzi and others on here before is for non-gaming stuff as I wfh at the moment and do a few days a week in a normal world anyway. This was why I went for the G9 but I've done quite a bit more reading up on it and it seems for many that it just isn't an issue.

I feel like I'm swaying one way then another but maybe the 48CX should be the choice. I might just order one and try it out, if I'm not so keen I can always just send it back but I think I may just be blown away. Also the G9's well documented problems mean I can always come back once ironed out if I wanted.

Now, to wait for black Friday or not...

18 minutes ago, Fallows said:

@Len I just saw the notifications on the Discord for the Best Buy drop. Grats.

It seems they received all of Nvidia's stock for this week. So far nothing for the EU from Nvidia themselves.

Thanks man, here's hoping they come through. They had it up as a 28th Oct release for ages and I just noticed my distil quickly followed by discord go mental when I came back to my pc . I then messed around and got in via the app and promptly totally forgot my password to login. :lol: