NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

19 hours ago, layten said:

Don't forget to get a new display to go with your new card (if any ever ship to Europe).

I love the features of OLED, we have one of the TVs in our living room, but 48" is just too big for a desktop monitor for me. I don't want to be rubbernecking to see elements in the corner of the screen.

40" is probably where I'd consider getting one.

sounds obvious but anyone whose near buckling one of the scalpers cards on eBay make sure you check they have it in hand, and if its  a pre order what number they are in the queue. Some kid had an Asus Rog card listed  and was like 190 in the queue on Overclockers. 

Estimated shipping date of March I reckon son.

To soften the blow a tad, in all fairness my msi 3090 is running everything on ultra ray tracing and dlss and the likes of metro and shadow of the tomb raider, but really its just extra fps. my 2080ti did the job splendidly well and jumping from 80 to 120 is it really worth it? I don't think so.

I was lucky to get one but that's only because it coincided with a new build and I had the option to include one so I did , but honestly the whole thing is just fomo to the extreme. Mr Nvidia fella can rattle on in a  keynote all he likes but second coming? Nah.

Yeah unless you desperately need the card for work/career - there is no point even risking ebay - even if the order went through fine, the premium would be stupid at this point in time. I think we are 2-3 weeks away from being able to order a card in minutes rather than seconds if you follow a free alert service and then just sit back and wait for it to arrive. Amazon seem to be better and not cancelling every single order as some people have definitely had theirs through recently. 

The other issue with eBay is that you give up your warranty for anything but EVGA cards. And when you're overpaying for a GPU, I think that's important.

As @Uzi says, there will be normal orderable cards probably sooner rather than later. I think this is the future really, just resigning yourself to being a few months out of touch with the launch. That sort of pushes my buttons because when you buy hardware you want it to be relevant for as many days as possible for the price you pay.

But then, the next wave will be just as delayed, so it's fine really.

16 minutes ago, milko said:

How's your German order going, @Uzi?

"Not yet dispatched - Delivery Estimate 19 Nov - 28 Nov 2020"

£751 or so has been earmarked on my credit card account but that's never been a sure sign an order is going through!

The Amazon Spain Vision order is in limbo too - seeing which one budges first. Quite frankly the latter would be less hassle since it would come directly to me and not need my German friend to forward it on but right now for all I know neither might go through!

On 20/10/2020 at 15:29, Triple A said:

Today's dick-teasing update from SCAN;

20/10/20 - Today we have received shipments from ASUS and MSI for both RTX 3080 and 3090. We will be shipping these out by the end of the day. On top of those we have also added 6 new confirmed shipments to the tables from EVGA, GIGABYTE & ZOTAC covering this week and next week. We continue to chase down the outstanding TBC shipments to give you the best information we can.

Thank you for your patience and support.

I await my e-mail with bated breath!

So an e-mail I got from SCAN today said I've gone down 2 places in a week within my queue, to no.25 - at this rate only three months or so to go then!

30 minutes ago, Triple A said:

So an e-mail I got from SCAN today said I've gone down 2 places in a week within my queue, to no.25 - at this rate only three months or so to go then!

That might have just been 2 cancellations too...

I've gone from 115 to 104 on a non-OC Zotac 3080 in 2 weeks. Even if it's 5 cards delivered a week, still in for a 20 week wait at this rate.

Order in September and expect delivery in mid-March, ouch

I do not really understand the queue thing at Scan. I was third in the queue for over two weeks, then went down to second last week, and got an email the other day saying i might get mine next Friday, so yeah, I am not holding my breath obviously. As far as I can tell, unless you have a date in that email, you are not getting it anytime soon.

13 minutes ago, Sumire said:

I do not really understand the queue thing at Scan. I was third in the queue for over two weeks, then went down to second last week, and got an email the other day saying i might get mine next Friday, so yeah, I am not holding my breath obviously. As far as I can tell, unless you have a date in that email, you are not getting it anytime soon.

It shows you how many are in the queue for each manufacturer on this page, along with future expected delivery dates:

https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/nvidia/rtx-30-series-faqs

It sounds like whichever manufacturer you picked is just sending low quantities of cards.

8 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Seen a fair few German and French stock alerts today but nothing here in Blighttown.

A brief flurry of EVGA USA-UK-import action for another of their variants! I got as far as buy now but this time the "yoink! not for you" was before it'd even confirmed the order, no need for an instant email this time. Ho hum, another day done. 

I'm out all day with my son tomorrow so I expect it'll be the big day when there's drops everywhere.

7 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Well, I'm not surprised given the rather inept way the company has gone about the current situation really. They've at least realised that if they launched a 20gb version before most people got their 'inferior' ones then the sheer amount of vitriol that would be poured on them would be fairly extreme!

Looking forward to next Weds to see all this finalised and know the pricing and release date. Will prob go for the 6800XT due to it being more available, and the fact that AIBs will be making cards. What are other peoples’ thought?

31 minutes ago, spanx said:

Will prob go for the 6800XT due to it being more available, and the fact that AIBs will be making cards. What are other peoples’ thought?

I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself making assumptions like that!

31 minutes ago, spanx said:

Looking forward to next Weds to see all this finalised and know the pricing and release date. Will prob go for the 6800XT due to it being more available, and the fact that AIBs will be making cards. What are other peoples’ thought?

I think reference AMD cards are launching first well before AIBs (this may get confusing because technically AIB's MAKE AMD reference cards) - as in custom cards for AMD aren't due till 2021 I last read

1 minute ago, sid said:

Excuse my ignorance but if I have a 1080ti is it the case a 3080 will fit and connect up ?  

Resounding maybe. What case do you have? In terms of power connectors, my 1080ti has 2x 6 pin connectors, and the new cards have 2-3 8pins. Usually that's okay as PSUs these days end in flexible connectors. You'd need to have a look in the case.

Also...power. Might not be an issue with a 3070, but if you’re running a 1080 with something like a 600w PSU you probably need to be looking at upgrading that too.

Well everything has arrived apart from the 3080. May need to play Cyberpunk with my stock 1080. :(. Failing that - i'll play it on my series X (assuming that comes) but i just hope it'll all fit on the 840GB odd drive.

In other news...the Noctua ND15 is a bloody big fan!

• Meat changed the title to NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion