NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

Until Big Navi has an answer for DLSS you're probably fine regardless.

DLSS is an absolute game changer.

It's the pre-cursor to the game changing, in my opinion. Once DLSS is system wide, or just works for all applications (not just some specific games that adopt it) it's going to reach its potential. 

Just now, Lying Cat said:

Guys I'm getting excited again. This definitely isn't going to end in a massive disappointment, right?

Course not. What could possibly go wrong?

3 hours ago, spanx said:

If I buy even more red shit to put in my case do you all reckon it'll create some kind of cosmic karma that helps guarantee me a card this year??

We’re not getting a card this year. Of either colour. Then Boris’s Hard Brexit.

meanwhile, another 20 or so people before me in the queue, have cancelled their ASUS Tuf (which isn’t shipping anywhere) from OC... equivalent to a queue movement of 8% or so...

10 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

Have they - can't say i've noticed. I've moved one place to 85th.

I’m up around 300, so anyone buying a card elsewhere or just getting bored is much more likely to cancel. Imagine if you were in the 1000s you’d see far more movement.

expecting some bigger shifts this week after the amd launch. Unless the cards are all “well, we’ve seen the shitshow, so we’ll do a staggered launch in the USA first”.

21 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

It's the pre-cursor to the game changing, in my opinion. Once DLSS is system wide, or just works for all applications (not just some specific games that adopt it) it's going to reach its potential. 

I upgraded to a 2070S from a 1060 and considered the raytracing stuff of the RTX cards nothing much more than a gimmick, I just wanted the extra power. I'm still of that opinion with regards to raytracing in games but DLSS is the real potential killer-feature. I just hope Nvidia are doing more to make it easy for developers to implement because when so many people seem obsessed with pushing resolution above all else DLSS seems to do the impossible. When Digital Foundry compared the native 4K version of Death Stranding and Control to the lower internal res version using DLSS and found that the image quality was higher, that really didn't seem possible but there it was and it was also reflected in running the games myself and my fps shooting right up. I hope Nvidia don't squander what seems to potentially be the biggest advantage their cards have had in a long time because there is no way AMD are just ignoring it, especially considering what a similar technology could do for PS5/Series-X.

On 23/10/2020 at 11:26, JoeK said:

Well, if it's implemented into Xbox Series X/S and PS5 then that won't be an issue at all. It'll just depend on how good it is.

If the consoles had a working generalist ML reconstruction method available to them, you'd have thought it would have been enabled already and heavily marketed. Much the same for the vaunted generalist DLSS that is supposedly coming any day now that doesn't require effort to implement.

UE's temporal techniques seem a more probable way forward that is actually universally usable, without being stuck behind one manufacturer's hardware.

Didn't @Mystacon turn up after the Very debacle and say "oh, well, these are tough to get, I might just hand with you guys", and then gets one before the rest of us. On one level I'm of course happy for him. On another? Well, I don't have the heart to put him in the same category as the @Isaac's of the thread - so while he will be up against the wall when the revolution comes, he can be on the opposite side to the bullets.

edit - the irony of this is that I missed the notification because I was on one of the three videogames I have any interest in at the moment (Noita, Valorant, GTFO), none of which actually require me to to get any new hardware at all. It's all so absurd.

GTFO just got an update with matchmaking didn't it? I've been wanting to play it for ages but could never get enough people together. We should play. 

1 minute ago, Len said:

GTFO just got an update with matchmaking didn't it? I've been wanting to play it for ages but could never get enough people together. We should play. 

I'd be more than happy to play. While the game does now have Matchmaking, I suspect it wouldn't work properly. The only way to succeed is methodical team work and patience which generally isn't something you get with PUGs.

6 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

Didn't @Mystacon turn up after the Very debacle and say "oh, well, these are tough to get, I might just hand with you guys", and then gets one before the rest of us.

Yes, and believe me, I’m hanging my head in shame.

Ooh. Clearly my phone call to the board of directors at eBuyer worked like a charm. The small pallet of cards are on their way to me shortly.

In other news - hopefully your order can be sorted, but knowing how things are going at the moment, I suspect there might be a little more waiting involved.

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I got the same stock alert but didn't see it until just before midnight.

When I checked, the link was still live but the price was £999.99

:sherlock:

Interesting. Do you know if it was the same card? If so, I’ll be asking them why it was available again after mine went through and yet somehow there’s now no stock.

Taken the money as well the gits.