NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

I really hate this concept of "unbought" with these cards. They come up so rarely in retail channels, but even when they *do*, there's a good chance (judging by this thread) that it might just get cancelled anyway.

It's absolutely crazy.

Now that they've removed a lot of false alerts from these stock trackers such as the Telegram group it really shows how little there is about. I'm still 350 in the Scan queue but it is changing only about 30 a week so unless the promises of production ramp up come true I don't have much hope for even November at this stage. I'm then away for most of December so really its next year.

36 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Interesting. Do you know if it was the same card? If so, I’ll be asking them why it was available again after mine went through and yet somehow there’s now no stock.

Taken the money as well the gits.

Apologies, just checked my browser history and it was this one at 999.

https://www.ebuyer.com/1127888-gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3080-10gb-gddr6x-aorus-xtreme-ampere-graphics-card-gv-n3080aorus-x-10gd

Another UK Amazon import EVGA order successfully made and then cancelled by email a minute or so later... Deja vu day. I still get the "maybe I got this one!" flutter a little bit, somehow. More likely to get a Wonka golden ticket. 

On 24/10/2020 at 11:52, JoeK said:

In other news, my goal of spending all the gpu money on other PC parts is going swimmingly...a nice new boot drive :)

I am in the same boat but it is my CPU money that I am pissing away whilst waiting for November 5th. I'm quite enjoying it though to be fair as I am spending a good week or so researching each component before buying so am quite confident that I'm choosing decent parts.

I now have a modest pile of a motherboard that is not covered in too many crappy graphics, a 2Tb M.2 drive, a cooler, a couple of jazzy fans, and a GPU. Just scored 2 x 8Gb of exactly the ram I was looking for as an eBay bargain so just need another 2 x8Gb on that front. I am wavering on the case - choosing between a compact Define 7 which I am only deterred from as I can't accommodate the radiator in the roof, that NZXT one everyone has, or a be quiet! Dark Base 700. Aside from that I just need a CPU but will likely probably pick up another M.2 drive too...

2 hours ago, milko said:

Another UK Amazon import EVGA order successfully made and then cancelled by email a minute or so later... Deja vu day. I still get the "maybe I got this one!" flutter a little bit, somehow. More likely to get a Wonka golden ticket. 

The problem with those UK drops are is they seem to be alerted/go up shortly after the DE/ other EU amazon sites and they have shared stock so that's why cancellations on the UK orders seem to be a bit more rife on these EVGA global drops

15 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Meanwhile, friend of mine who built a prebuilt from scan had it arrive yesterday and, wouldn't you know, because the 3080 it came with wasn't in stock, they upgraded it to a better one. 

That's pretty cool though. I'd imagine that there's less of a massive drain on the OEM cards - you'll still be waiting a bit but I reckon you'd get one this year. The downside being that it's a lot harder to build the machine you want because you're going from a pre-selected pile of bits.

6 hours ago, Mystacon said:

I've put an order in. I'll wait to see what they come back with for a date - usually ebuyer are pretty good with refunding and RMA, as I had to deal with them when a 5700XT broke on me.

Quite a good delivery date, as well - get to see if the Big Bad Navi has the chops, and stock to match.

EDIT: checking the website this morning, and the status has changed to 'stock problem', like Mystacon's order on the gif-playing 3080.

Oh well - I'll give customer services a buzz in the afternoon, see what's up. The PayPal email says that I haven't been charged yet, so tbh I don't mind just sitting on the order. At the rate things are going on the 3080 stock front, just being in a queue is a prize in itself!

Quelle surprise, pless offering refunds now:

“Hello, thank you for placing your order with pless.co.uk. unfortunately, the item you have ordered was incorrectly showing as in stock. We are unable to give an accurate eta on this item and therefore are cancelling this order and refunding your money. The PayPal refund will be issued by 12 noon today. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.”

And yet, I still have this concern that AMD are going to take one look at the world's largest open goal at the moment, and immediately stuff it by charging £200 more than the equivalent 30 series, simply because they have enough stock to stomach 30 seconds of scalper bots instead of 3 seconds.

Online retail was a mistake.

I really don't see AMD overcharging for the sake of some short term profit. Their RRP has to last them the long game and be competitive with nvidia who will resolve their stock problems in a few weeks at most to not give away market share.

I know they've slightly raised prices on their cpus but that is their third generation of continually being competitive and now clearly being the best on the market. I can't see their 6800XT costing more than 3080 rrp of 649 and probably will be £599 or below. 

27 minutes ago, Uzi said:

I really don't see AMD overcharging for the sake of some short term profit. Their RRP has to last them the long game and be competitive with nvidia who will resolve their stock problems in a few weeks at most to not give away market share.

I know they've slightly raised prices on their cpus but that is their third generation of continually being competitive and now clearly being the best on the market. I can't see their 6800XT costing more than 3080 rrp of 649 and probably will be £599 or below. 

Do you really think so?

Just now, Mystacon said:

Do you really think so?

Apologies by few weeks i mean the remainder of 2020. I think they'll pump enough stock into the market to prevent a complete jump to AMD to fulfil somewhat the demand of people who've been waiting since launch.

Next month will say it all in terms of where this is going but i don't think nvidia will give amd free reign of the market for two plus months. 

If videos and articles come out stating the new AMD card is as good, or even slightly worse (or maybe even better, who knows?) than the 3080, and people can actually get one, how long do you think they'll maintain brand loyalty to nvidia? How did that work out for intel and processors? :P 

1 minute ago, Doctor Shark said:

If videos and articles come out stating the new AMD card is as good, or even slightly worse (or maybe even better, who knows?) than the 3080, and people can actually get one, how long do you think they'll maintain brand loyalty to nvidia? How did that work out for intel and processors? :P 

Mindshare is strong. I've already seen numerous people across multiple computer orientated forums stating things like 'it has to be faster in rasterization, more ram, $100 cheaper and just as good in RT for me to even think about getting one'

A very large percentage of people only want AMD to release good cards to force Nvidia into dropping their prices; there is absolutely no intention of getting one at all and it was the same was with Intel for a long time.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Will be hard to get over the appeal of DLSS/superior ray tracing/gsync and general nvidia software reputation and mindshare. The stock situation is perfect to give AMD some momentum but nvidia basically own the market.