Welcome to the Blumhouse

https://deadline.com/video/welcome-to-the-blumhouse-trailer-amazon-prime-video/

An anthology of 8 Blumhouse movies coming to Amazon. 4 in October and 4 next year. I don't know if that means October next year. They've been churning out quite a lot of movies, with low budgets, often to good success, sometimes huge success.

The Lie (6 October) in which two desperate parents try to cover up the fact that their teenage daughter impulsively killed her best friend.

Black Box (6 October), a single father goes undergoes an agonizing experimental treatment after losing his wife and his memory in a car accident.

Evil Eye (13 October) follows a seemingly perfect romance that turns into a nightmare when a mother becomes convinced her daughter’s new boyfriend has a dark connection to her own past.

Nocturne (13 October) is set in an elite arts academy and follows a shy student who begins to outshine her more accomplished and outgoing twin sister when she discovers a mysterious notebook belonging to a recently deceased classmate.

I'm quite up for this tbh, and usually find at least some merit to many of Blumhouse's output. We watched You Should Have Left the other night, which, while seemingly a fairly standard haunted house thing actually had some great Lovecraftian imagery towards the end of the film. Sure it wasn't the greatest thing you've ever seen but we still got a kick out of it. For the budgets, I think they still offer good bang for buck and I'll always give them a go.

• 1 month later...

I watched the first one of these, The Lie, tonight. It's about a teenage girl who kills her friend then her parents cover up the crime. This was pretty terrible - stupid behaviour from characters, overwrought acting and a real cheap feel to the whole thing.

Spoiler

There was a pointless twist at the end that made no sense and by then I'd kind of given up.

I was expecting this to be a horror film but it was more of a psychological thriller. Really not worth anyones time.