Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.

4 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

It may not be confusing to you as a choice but the general public don't even know what 4K or a disc drive means for their games.

Faced with the choice of buying a cheaper console missing things they don't really understand would be enough to turn their heads away. Sony has been much smarter in this. Console is the same, if you need the drive go for it and if you don't we have a version without one.

I'm not defending Microsoft's choice to make the S, I still don't understand what it offers and what it doesn't (because they haven't said) but Sony's approach will presumably result in two systems that aren't wildly differently priced. It's expected that the S is about opening the market up to more price sensitive people.  I view the Sony system as much as being for people who don't use physical media anymore, they must have the data indicating how many disc drives go completely unused, as it is for people who are trying to save £50.

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Sure, it’s been three and half years, how long do you reckon? I’m not exaggerating but I must have charged my pro controller no more than twenty times since I got it at launch. 

My pro controller rarely needs charging either. I must turn it on sometime to see how full the battery is. :P

It may not be confusing to you as a choice but the general public don't even know what 4K or a disc drive means for their games.

Faced with the choice of buying a cheaper console missing things they don't really understand would be enough to turn their heads away. Sony has been much smarter in this: console is the same. If you need the drive go for it and if you don't here's a cheaper version. 

If your hypothetical nextgen console buyer is at the level of not knowing what 4k is or a disc drive then they might just say

"Which box can i get that is nextgen but is cheapest"

Faced with the choice of buying a cheaper console missing things they don't really understand would be enough to turn their heads away. Sony has been much smarter in this. Console is the same, if you need the drive go for it and if you don't we have a version without one.

Was there this much confusion surrounding the PS4 Pro or the Xbox One X? Perhaps there was and it was all over the media and everything turned to chaos, I must have just missed it :unsure:

And if the general public don’t know what a disc drive is how are Sony sending a clearer message? 

As someone who has worked in retail for many years you see them coming, and you don’t give them a choice - here’s your Series S, here’s your Gamepass, and you’re done, next! 

(although I haven’t worked in game retail for many, many years - is it even a thing these days?) 

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Was there this much confusion surrounding the PS4 Pro or the Xbox One X? Perhaps there was and it was all over the media and everything turned to chaos, I must have just missed it :unsure:

And if the general public don’t know what a disc drive is how are Sony sending a clearer message? 

nah, cos they understand that “more expensive must mean better”

(not you Xbox one!)

Just now, Wahwah* said:

To be fair, Microsoft proved the discless console wasn't confusing when they had the One X, One S and One S All Digital on the market all at the same time and nobody got upset.

how many ssl-digital fit they sell?

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Won’t the extra ram be mainly for higher resolution textures? 

That's not how it works though, if it's standard RAM or unified the developer can use it for anything, eg - all the leagues in Football Manager.

If the lowest machine they're obliged to run on has 6 rather 8 (or whatever) then they can only write for 6 not 8.

Just now, Stanley said:

All Digital wasn’t successful because it wasn’t cheap enough and they weren’t pushing Gamepass as hard. Now it’s a different ball game.

image.gif.5d5e790caafb56a06596c09d4c249332.gif

Just now, Wahwah* said:

I'm not defending Microsoft's choice to make the S, I still don't understand what it offers and what it doesn't (because they haven't said) but Sony's approach will presumably result in two systems that aren't wildly differently priced. The S is about opening the market up to more price sensitive people.  I view the Sony system as much as being for people who don't use physical media anymore, they must have the data indicating how many disc drives go completely unused.

I agree with that, yes, but is the alternative for them the "Series S"? I think brand awareness and games on offer play a much bigger choice than price in buying a console and most of the mainstream audience only buys one console. On the other hand it may indeed be a side way for Microsoft to bring people in the brand and Game Pass.

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

That's not how it works though, if it's standard RAM or unified the developer can use it for anything, eg - all the leagues in Football Manager.

If the lowest machine they're obliged to run on has 6 rather 8 (or whatever) then they can only write for 6 not 8.

I think the X has 16gb and the S is rumoured to be 8 - I admit I have little understanding of how this would affect things though. 

6 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

I agree with that, yes, but is the alternative for them the "Series S"? I think brand awareness and games on offer play a much bigger choice than price in buying a console and most of the mainstream audience only buys one console. On the other hand it may indeed be a side way for Microsoft to bring people in the brand and Game Pass.

I would imagine that Most of the sales of consoles aren't at launch, when prices are at their highest. Microsoft clearly think they can get people onto their platform if they lower the barrier for entry at a time when the competition will be (presumably) almost exclusively promoting a premium priced product.  

It's not without precedent, people are keen on drawing paralels with mobile phone contracts and so on, a lot of people (bafflingly!) are prepared to take a reduced feature set in exchange for a lower price, the biggest phone producers, Apple and Samsung both launch multiple phones with the same branding but different specs to hit different price points, etc.

3 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

It’s all about Gamepass now - everything they market it with will have “available now on Gamepass” attached. That’s how they will go against Sony’s impressive exclusives - price and volume, and hopefully some decent games too :)

19 minutes ago, Stanley said:

As someone who has worked in retail for many years you see them coming, and you don’t give them a choice - here’s your Series S, here’s your Gamepass, and you’re done, next! 

(although I haven’t worked in game retail for many, many years - is it even a thing these days?) 

I have worked in retail in videogames as well and I have managed stores. Most consumers coming in to buy a console had little idea of the details. They usually came in asking something straight like "I want a PS or a Wii" or "which console has the Indiana Jones' games - aka Uncharted"? Very few people had ever come in asking "which is the cheapest console on the market? I'll have that". I highly doubt that the Series S will be anything other than a side door to bring people to the Game Pass. It will have no significant impact in sales for Xbox as a brand but it will be great to be proven wrong, as it will mean more people for Game Pass which is amazing.

Is the Series S just a rumour at this moment or has it been confirmed as on the roadmap?

My fear with launching both systems side by side is that the cheaper version will undercut the full price model. I think it’s more likely Microsoft will launch any potential cut-rate model later in the cycle. 

10 minutes ago, Dudley said:

That’s a pretty niche use case though, and one that will be easily served by swapping out to the SSD. They might not even bother putting the leagues in RAM.

In the situations where having the data instantly available in RAM matters, you’re probably talking about graphics, and the amount of memory you need scales down with the amount of CUs.

Just now, Popo said:

Is the Series S just a rumour at this moment or has it been confirmed as on the roadmap?

My fear with launching both systems side by side is that the cheaper version will undercut the full price model. I think it’s more likely Microsoft will launch any potential cut-rate model later in the cycle. 

It was on a leaked roadmap as Project Lockhart with no specific specs, independent sources have come forwards with particular specs, and Microsoft is shipping Xbox Series X controllers in boxes that refer to Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. It’s happening, and soon.

9 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I would imagine that Most of the sales of consoles aren't at launch, when prices are at their highest. Microsoft clearly think they can get people onto their platform if they lower the barrier for entry at a time when the competition will be (presumably) almost exclusively promoting a premium priced product.  

It's not without precedent, people are keen on drawing paralels with mobile phone contracts and so on, a lot of people (bafflingly!) are prepared to take a reduced feature set in exchange for a lower price, the biggest phone producers, Apple and Samsung both launch multiple phones with the same branding but different specs to hit different price points, etc.

It can happen, yes, but judging by how the iPhones sell, I'd say the correlation between features/power/price is not the main thing in the mind of mainstream consumers.

13 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Fm doesn't work like that...might if SI actually developed it to USE the system it is on mind! but it doesn't, its borked as fuck, and barley runs better on a high end system to a low end. It relies on CPU to get better processing, but, it still doesn't use the system its being run on fully!

Case in point, it barely runs better on my i9-9900k with 32gig ram, than it does on my i7-4790k with 32gig ram...its annoying...

1 minute ago, Talk Show Host said:

I have worked in retail in videogames as well and I have managed stores. Most consumers coming in to buy a console had little idea of the details. They usually came in asking something straight like "I want a PS or a Wii" or "which console has the Indiana Jones' games - aka Uncharted"? Very few people had ever come in asking "which is the cheapest console on the market? I'll have that". I highly doubt that the Series S will be anything other than a side door to bring people to the Game Pass. It will have no significant impact in sales for Xbox as a brand but it will be great to be proven wrong. 

You’re looking at it back to front - Series S (or X) isn’t a “side door” to Gamepass. Gamepass is the platform, the main attraction, and S is just the cheapest point of entry. 

As for it having no significant impact on sales, if that’s the case why are the base PS4 and Xbox One S the biggest sellers? 

Just now, Talk Show Host said:

It can happen, yes, but judging by how the iPhones sell, I'd say the correlation between features/power/price is not the main thing in the mind of mainstream audiences.

The mid range iPhones are consistently the best selling ones now. As long as it’s this year’s model, people have been going for the iPhone XR or 11 over the iPhone X and the 11 Pro.

Just now, Alex W. said:

The mid range iPhones are consistently the best selling ones now. As long as it’s this year’s model, people have been going for the iPhone XR or 11 over the iPhone X and the 11 Pro.

Yep, and by a significant amount. 

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

You’re looking at it back to front - Series S (or X) isn’t a “side door” to Gamepass. Gamepass is the platform, the main attraction, and S is just the cheapest point of entry. 

As for it having no significant impact on sales, if that’s the case why are the base PS4 and Xbox One S the biggest sellers? 

The problem with this approach is that paying top dollar for a Series X then starts to feel a bit like buying a Lamborghini only to pootle around on B roads with it.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

It can happen, yes, but judging by how the iPhones sell, I'd say the correlation between features/power/price is not the main thing in the mind of mainstream consumers.

Oh, I agree, brand power is significant, however if you haven't got £500 and the new Call of Duty/Fifa/Whatever can be played on a system costing £250 (or whatever) maybe that's a better result for some, even if you don't get a battery built into the pad!

I really hope the fact that the controllers are out there seemingly ready to go to retail means we get the series X/S launching in the next few weeks. I’d love 2 months to enjoy the Xbox before the PS5 drops in November. It can be overwhelming with two consoles launching on top of each other. 

In terms of the difference between the two xboxes I think the S will still have a disk drive and simply be a 1080p option. 

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X / S Pre orders 8am - set those alarms!