Xbox Series X | S - 10 days to go

14 minutes ago, footle said:

It'll be pretty enough unless you spend your time looking at the tops of consoles.

I jest and care very little (the PS5 destroyed my hopes for pretty things this time round). As I say they will both be tucked away out of sight anyway :) 

1 minute ago, rgraves said:

It IS future proof though - it's going to play the same games, just at 1080p rather than 4k. It's really not hard to understand, it's just taking advantage of the fact that 4k is expensive in terms of power required, and not everyone (in fact I bet the majority of folks) will even need that option.

At £249, they've certainly given themselves a much needed shot. Fair play to them. Game on.

There's more to GPU power than resolution.

Also as much as I also don't think 4K is important I'm not sure if 1080 screens will be as prevalent 4 or 5 years down the road. You want the growing room for higher resolutions and framerates (and VR).

You can run Sea of Thieves on a launch Xbox One. "It's going to play the same games" is a very open ended commitment.

As somebody with two Xbox's, one in the living room and one in the bedroom, the prospect of forking out to replace them both with a series X was a bit daunting. This S is perfect for the living room box which doesn't get nearly as much use as the main one in the bedroom. I've been all digital for a long time so lack of a drive isn't a problem in my case. 

5 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

I don't disagree, that was kind of my point. Given Xbox's strength is Gamepass, a relatively cheap subscription service, the S lines up better with that strategy and it's a niche they have more or less to themselves. For sure they have the X for the higher end but that's a crowded field with PS5 and PC's with insane GPU's - for me that's the tougher sell. 

It does make you wonder what the manufacturing split is going to be and how agile Microsoft are. If it winds up being split more like One S and One X than 360 Core and 360 HDD, what do the next 5 years of games look like? Where does that leave PS5?

48 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

Really??? The original Xbox One was priced at £430 at launch. With the economy in the shitter there's no way a newer machine 7 years later is going to be cheaper. 

Rumours have constantly said $499-$599, Microsoft have been making so much noise about how premium it is, and how they don't expect everyone to pick one up at launch, how it's for the hardcore fans who want power etc. 

How on earth could you think it would be cheap?

I don’t think £350 is cheap, just appropriate pricing for tech that is a few years old. It’s just a box that sits under the Tv. It doesn’t do anything that the current consoles do, except maybe throw some more shinies around the screen. It’s not even portable like the switch. 

I just think £500 is expensive.

26 minutes ago, Hodge said:

Will go nicely alongside my 1080p Panasonic plasma :D  Wasnt interested in 4k side of next gen consoles, this will suit alot of gamers out there inc myself perfectly.  Also a far more acceptable price to.

o/ 

Same!

Just now, moosegrinder said:

Series X games require a proprietary one, 360/One games work as they do now off a USB 3.

oh that's not too terrible then I guess? 512gb is pretty tight for nextgen games (5-10 games depending on size?) but if i  can put all my other games on normal usb3 it will suffice!

I quite like the design. I also like the fact that it'll probably double as a fan heater for the winter months.

I skipped XB this gen, but I think I might give it a whirl at 249.

Just now, Clipper said:

oh that's not too terrible then I guess? 512gb is pretty tight for nextgen games (5-10 games depending on size?) but if i  can put all my other games on normal usb3 it will suffice!

I would assume there's a slot on the back too so you can extend the SSD like the SX can.

Just now, Mr Tony said:

I would assume there's a slot on the back too so you can extend the SSD like the SX can.

yeah but if the drives are proprietary cased ones it is going to be steep prices I would think

35 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Very nice! shame about the no disc drive, otherwise it would have been a mass seller

specs.jpg

"Xbox Series X exclusives".

Interesting how this pans out over the generation. Right there is the reason for the enthusiast crowd to get a series X.

Edit: It seems this is unofficial, so let's wait and see.

25 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

Annoyingly, the more I think about this thread the better an idea the Series S seems.

Eurogamer make it sound like a slightly souped up One X with an SSD in a little case for £249. Bundle Cyberpunk 2077 with it and accept that's it's not even slightly future proof and bam, you've got a stew going.

(You should still just pay the premium for the 3X more powerful machine though)

Well I'm starting to wonder if they're just going to cannibalise sales of their own Series X machine now.

The latest article on Eurogamer suggest this does 1440p with ray tracing, plus 4K media playback - and presumably acts as at least the equivalent of a One X for last-gen games.

With that in mind, finding an extra £200+ just to move from 1440p to 4K sounds significantly less tempting. There must be more differences between the machines than they are currently letting on.

1 minute ago, SF-02 said:

How does it compare to a one x (not one series x - stupid naming)?

One X

CPU: Eight-core 2.3GHz custom AMD

GPU: Six teraflops 1172 MHz

RAM: 12GB GDDR5

Frame rate: Up to 60 fps

Resolution: Up to 4K

Optical: HD Blu-Ray disk drive

Storage: 1TB HDD

2 minutes ago, hub2 said:

Right there is the reason for the enthusiast crowd to get a series X

Not particularly - it's not an official spec sheet. There won't be series X exclusives that don't run on the series S.

1 minute ago, Garwoofoo said:

Well I'm starting to wonder if they're just going to cannibalise sales of their own Series X machine now.

I don't think they care which you buy as long as you also have an active Game Pass subscription.

Well, if they have misjudged it and people don’t want to spend £200 for 4K when a cheaper option is available, then PS5 loses as much as the Series X does. And if people really do want 4K, then they have the system that is more 4K. However this pans out, they’ve got it covered.

27 minutes ago, Steven said:

They've spent ages saying just how powerful and truly next gen the Series X is and then said, oh and there's this. Fuck that, I'm keeping my 1X and Gamepass and waiting until there's something that will exploit the Series X and jump in then. It's cheap and Gamepass is fantastic, but it's great on my 1X for now. No disc also makes me wonder what won't be coming to GP.

You'll be buying one on launch day then? Your in denial sunbeam. 

1 minute ago, Garwoofoo said:

The latest article on Eurogamer suggest this does 1440p with ray tracing, plus 4K media playback - and presumably acts as at least the equivalent of a One X for last-gen games.

With that in mind, finding an extra £200+ just to move from 1440p to 4K sounds significantly less tempting. There must be more differences between the machines than they are currently letting on.

If the resolution is the only change, then yeah, I'd find that a hard sell. If Series S is largely capped at 30fps whilst Series X gets mostly 60fps games, then I'd find that a little easier to swallow. The lack of a disc drive is also a hard sell. Why didn't both Sony & MS release their consoles without a disc drive as standard, but release a disc peripheral which everyone could pick up? Surely USB C could transfer data fast enough?

9 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

Which is yet another way that Microsoft can make their money back from you in the long run, justifying this generous upfront price. I wonder if cheaper unofficial SSDs will pop up. The PS5 just lets you use off the shelf parts so that's not really an income stream for them, by comparison.

6 minutes ago, SF-02 said:

How does it compare to a one x (not one series x - stupid naming)?

Gigantically better CPU, much faster storage, more and faster RAM. In terms of GPU performance they're probably not very different. If you're gaming at 1080p there's no reason for you to care about that though.

Also agree with people saying that Series X exclusives are definitely not happening.

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - 10 days to go