Xbox Series X | S - 10 days to go

6 minutes ago, grungekid said:

What does "Next Gen Support" and "Series X exclusives mean". Some games won't be on series S?

That's how i read it.  That needs clarifying as it suggests they'll allow some games to be series x only.  It may be cheaper, but it's not a next gen machine if they don't guarantee it will run all next-gen games.

26 minutes ago, Meers said:

You are probably right. Looking at my own family/friends, it made me realise that most own FullHD TVs still. My brother's the only one with a 4K telly (apart from me) out of the lot who play on consoles.

Thinking about it, most even don't see the difference between 4K and 1K when I showed them: "It's got brighter colours". :facepalm:

Counting in my head I have 8 close friends with PS4’s. Only one 4K TV between us and the guy who owns it never turns his console on and plays all his games on PC. 

Just now, Sixkiller said:

That's how i read it.  That needs clarifying as it suggests they'll allow some games to be series x only.  It may be cheaper, but it's not a next gen machine if they don't guarantee it will run all next-gen games.

Not particularly - it's not an official spec sheet. There won't be series X exclusives that don't run on the series S.

4 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Well I'm starting to wonder if they're just going to cannibalise sales of their own Series X machine now.

The latest article on Eurogamer suggest this does 1440p with ray tracing, plus 4K media playback - and presumably acts as at least the equivalent of a One X for last-gen games.

With that in mind, finding an extra £200+ just to move from 1440p to 4K sounds significantly less tempting. There must be more differences between the machines than they are currently letting on.

The Series X has more 6 GB more RAM, double the storage.  The graphics part of XSX chip is more than double the size.  That's the most expensive bit.  It's likely more than double the cost due to the way chip yields work.  It also has knock ons to more complex cooling and the bigger box.  Shipping costs count too when you're planning to sell millions.

They're also saying 1440p, but take that with the same grain of salt as this gen targeting 1080p.  They'll be the same range of base resolutions and dynamic resolution scaling.

7 minutes ago, Liamness said:

Which is yet another way that Microsoft can make their money back from you in the long run, justifying this generous upfront price. I wonder if cheaper unofficial SSDs will pop up. The PS5 just lets you use off the shelf parts so that's not really an income stream for them, by comparison.

Although initially it's only certain ones that are fast enough. Sony will also certify some, so I would assume that any the certify, they will have a profit sharing scheme with the manufacturer. 

40 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

accept that's it's not even slightly future proof

Why would you do that? It’s as future proof as the Series X. It will play exactly the same games, with all the features that the new SSD brings, just at a lower resolution.

1 minute ago, footle said:

Not particularly - it's not an official spec sheet. There won't be series X exclusives that don't run on the series S.

Yeah, the wording in that spec sheet is at odds with what the XRs say. "All game titles targeting a console generation must support the entire family of devices for that generation."

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

Why would you do that? It’s as future proof as the Series X. It will play exactly the same games, with all the features that the new SSD brings, just at a lower resolution.

So you think CP 2077 will look the same on the S and the SX, except it will be lower resolution on the S?

4 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

So you think the CP 2077 will look the same on the S and the SX, except it will be lower resolution on the S?

Lower framerate as well I would think

Beyond that I think Digital foundry will notice any difference and report them for us. If there are any beyond framerate and res I am not convinced many average gamers will notice.

And if you are the sort of person who notices such things then MS can sell you a Series X instead

3 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

So you think CP 2077 will look the same on the S and the SX, except it will be lower resolution on the S?

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s what they’re going for. Maybe lower frame rate as well.

Developer's take:

And I agree. Apart from having no big 1st party show stopper, it's a very attractive offer. Nextgen entry point cheaper than a Switch. A price that could make anyone set on buying a PS5 think that they might as well get this one too and see what the game pass lark is about.

1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

One X

CPU: Eight-core 2.3GHz custom AMD

GPU: Six teraflops 1172 MHz

RAM: 12GB GDDR5

Frame rate: Up to 60 fps

Resolution: Up to 4K

Optical: HD Blu-Ray disk drive

Storage: 1TB HDD

Not really worth comparing given the efficiencies of the system being so different.  

The Series S processor will absolutely destroy the One X equivalent.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s what they’re going for. Maybe lower frame rate as well.

I bet the two versions will look quite different in graphics, apart from frame rate and resolution (I mean, that's a given). If there is really not that much of a difference between the S and the 'most powerful console in the world', then Microsoft better pack it up and go fishing or something.

2 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

I bet the two versions will look quite different in graphics, apart from frame rate and resolution. If there is really not that much of a difference between the S and the 'most powerful console in the world', then Microsoft better pack up and go fishing.

Like the huge difference in graphics on a One and a One X you mean - outside of the resolution and frame rate?

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

So if we want to talk about an Xbox Series game release or the controller where do we go? 

Make a new thread. You could give it the same name as the name of the game you'd like to talk about. :)

Edit: as @Qazimod said

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - 10 days to go