Xbox Series X | S - 10 Nov

Oh, I'm aware of that, but the conversation was improving loading speeds on an existing gen machine.

I'm interested to see these benchmarks again on PS5 and XSX|S.

3 minutes ago, hub2 said:

Oh, I'm aware of that, but the conversation was improving loading speeds on an existing gen machine.

Oh I misunderstood. I thought "fixing the loading times for not much money already" meant building an affordable mid-range PC able to run Destiny 2 and running that from a SSD. It didn't even cross my mind that it was a reference to putting an SSD in a PS4 or Xbox One X because that's totally not worth it. Sorry!

56 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Oh I misunderstood. I thought "fixing the loading times for not much money already" meant building an affordable mid-range PC able to run Destiny 2 and running that from a SSD. It didn't even cross my mind that it was a reference to putting an SSD in a PS4 or Xbox One X because that's totally not worth it. Sorry!

I've put an SSD (SATA, in a usb enclosure) on my Xbox one and it was totally worth it. 

Your weird assumption makes no sense. 

You can't build a working PC 'for not much money'.

Was set on one of these but now I'm confused as shit:

Putting aside the 4K resolution whatever the fuck shite, if I buy an Xbox Series S will I be able to do the following?

1. Play every next gen game that comes out between now and whenever this gen ends?

2. Play every Xbox One game that has been released?

3. Play every Xbox 360 game that has been released?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Putting aside the 4K resolution whatever the fuck shite, if I buy an Xbox Series S will I be able to do the following?

1. Play every next gen game that comes out between now and whenever this gen ends?

Thanks!

Yes

Yes 

No - just the ones that have been made compatible with the XB1 https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility/available-games

17 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Thanks!

1. Yes, barring an unexpected change by Microsoft later on. The performance and graphics of titles is an open question.

2. Yes at Xbox One S performance/graphics (or better for select titles updated by the developer).

3. No, only those with BC, same as the Xbox One.

The Series S has no disk drive so the above only applies to titles available digitally.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

It's genuinely difficult to know what'll happen there.  We've not really had a generation where the previous gen machine was a better idea for anyone at a similar price.

It's a very small subset of people that it would be a "better" idea for, looking 6 months into the future. Or perhaps even just following next-gen releases in November.

Want to play Destiny 2 at 60fps? Series S.

Want to play Destiny 2 at 4k30? Series X.

1 hour ago, Lovelyman said:

I've put an SSD (SATA, in a usb enclosure) on my Xbox one and it was totally worth it. 

Your weird assumption makes no sense. 

You can't build a working PC 'for not much money'.

I thought it was a bit weird! In my mind I justified it with ah Destiny 2 probably has low requirements... Compared to using an SSD in a PC, the speed benefit is not that great on current gen, that's why I didn't get what you were saying. Apologies for the derail.

stupid noob question:

Will my digital purchases / games with gold games on my xbox 360 work with series s (as long as they ae on the back compatible list), for example Dirt 3?

I just re-download them?

Just now, ulala said:

stupid noob question:

Will my digital purchases / games with gold games on my xbox 360 work with series s (as long as they ae on the back compatible list), for example Dirt 3?

I just re-download them?

Yep, that's how it works on the bone now.

On 13/09/2020 at 10:14, carlospie said:

Can't Wait for an ssd. Got home from work last night, put destiny two on, takes at least four minutes to get it loaded and several minutes to load each match. 

Yep, this is my biggest turn off with Destiny. It should get even better when the squish the game when Beyond Light comes out.

1 hour ago, footle said:

It's a very small subset of people that it would be a "better" idea for, looking 6 months into the future. Or perhaps even just following next-gen releases in November.

Want to play Destiny 2 at 60fps? Series S.

Want to play Destiny 2 at 4k30? Series X.

Pretty sure that Bungie said that Destiny to is going to be 4K60 on Seies X didn't they?  

23 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Yep, that's how it works on the bone now.

Ooh yikes, didn't know that. Was going to start a completely new Xbox Live profile but will have to try and dig out the password from my 360 days now.

I don't play Destiny. Though playing Avengers A-Day on a 1X recently was awful in more way than one, but the loading times stood out. Select mission, load for like 4 minutes, run towards mission marker which always an elevator, wait for 2 minutes, clear 3 rooms, arrive at the next elevator.... And if you die, yes then it's 4 minutes all over again. Fuck. We need these next gen consoles asap

The thing that ties in with the load time is waiting for the menu/inventory to open. When you're trying to change things on the fly, or clear inventory space or whatever it takes a good 5-10 seconds for it to load. Now while that isn't a long time in the normal course of things it's a fucking age when a) you're trying to get shit sorted in the middle of a fire fight and b) when you're an impatient dickhead that's been conditioned to expect everything to open instantly in the modern age of immediate gratification.

56 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

I'm confused in general. 

I know I don't want a Series X until the price plummets, but also have no clue about what the Series S would or wouldn't offer over my less than a year old One X. 

I think it's still unclear. Definitely better loading times, and a lot of launch games are saying they're gonna be 60fps on Series S - but they might run at 30fps and higher resolutions and with higher res textures on the One X.

I think we'll have to see direct comparisons to see if One X to Series S is an upgrade or more of a sidegrade.

1 hour ago, Steve McQueef said:

I'm confused in general. 

I know I don't want a Series X until the price plummets, but also have no clue about what the Series S would or wouldn't offer over my less than a year old One X. 

Well the newer ones are always the better ones to go for. The tech is obviously more refined. So you want POWER or want to use disks? Go for a series X. Want a cheap game box to play GamePass games on via a sub go for an S. 

If you already have an X just business as normal and wouldn't bother changing anything until it:-

a) Breaks

b) You want more shinies.

Wouldn't even bother with a series S if you have an X.

Loading times on the Xbox One X are pretty painful but the absolute worst thing is the “For some reason [Game] has taken too long to load. Please try again” message that appears almost every time I try and start anything of any kind of size. 

I can’t work out what winds me up more, the fact it’s completely unnecessary (just wait a few more seconds rather than dumping me back to the dash, you impatient fuckwit of a games console) or the vaguely passive aggressive nature of the message, like the situation is somehow my fault. 

I'm confused in general. 

Do you think 4k is worth it? If so, stay on the X and get an X later on. 

If you don't, it's probably still worth sticking where you are for a couple of years. 

I'm confused in general. 

Games might be better optimised for the S. I played through the Avengers which is a cross-gen game and One X performance (frame rates - it did look stunning) was woeful. I hope that's not due to not bothering with optimising for the One X.

For most of you I doubt there’s any reason to get a XSX yet. It doesn’t seem like there are any launch games grabbing people’s attention and unless there’s something you really want to play at maxshine that you can’t elsewhere then why bother?

For a lot of people that might have been CP2077 but as that won’t be tarted up for a while you may as well wait. 

For me, perhaps exclusively in these sort of forum threads, I’m in for the sports games. They might be a bit shit even, but after seven years of more or less the same engines I’m ready to see what’s next. That, and I don’t own a console at all. I’ve got a whole gen of Bone to go through if I want. Between a lack of interest and having a PC there’s not really anything there but the ‘ease’ of a console will be nice with all the instant resume stuff. 

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - 10 Nov