Xbox Series X | S - 10th November

Partially agreed and my main concern on that  is that if the rumours are true and Series S is being launched at same time as the X then it says to me that Series X might well be stupidly expensive so it softens the blow by saying ah yes but you can buy this one instead. Worst of every world that would be...

It would be utter shitstorm if they were £100 more than PS5. £50 more? maybe but still a bitter pill to swallow.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Clipper said:

don't understand the comparison at all.

Mattrick was saying you can't play your old games - a polite fuck off in other words - he was offering something negative.

the other is saying here are two flavours of nextgen one for your HDTV and one for your 4K TV. they all play the same games just one drives a 4KTV .

at 4K native resolution, and only costs X amount more.

are 4K tvs any good at upscaling a 1080p image?

Just now, SeanR said:

at 4K native resolution, and only costs X amount more.

are 4K tvs any good at upscaling a 1080p image?

as we have already said it ALL depends on the pricing of Series S, X and PS5

if X and PS5 are similar prices then it won't matter as the S will be a bonus way into nextgen for those with less money and HDTV

If X is more than PS5 it will become more problematic as PS5 might look like the sweet spot in the middle.

3 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Partially agreed and my main concern on that  is that if the rumours are true and Series S is being launched at same time as the X then it says to me that Series X might well be stupidly expensive so it softens the blow by saying ah yes but you can buy this one instead. Worst of every world that would be...

It would be utter shitstorm if they were £100 more than PS5. £50 more? maybe but still a bitter pill to swallow.

I just can't see Microsoft coming in more expensive than Sony this time around. I'm going to have to get away from this thread. Apologies to all for posting every 25 seconds. 

• Upvote 4

its interesting and makes a change from the warzzzzzz stuff. If Series S a launch is a thing it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

We need those prices and launch dates tho!

7 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I could see them bracketing the PS5 price, £50 above and £50 below. Close enough to make the Series X a tempting upgrade from the PS5, far enough that the Series S is a respectable discount compared to the PS5 and a bargain version of the Series X.

Digital or “full” PS5, though?

Microsoft’s not here to mess around though. The Series X looks like a console that’s been optimised to not waste an ounce of plastic or a whisper of cooling. It’s got a lean efficiency to it. I could see the price gap between the rival consoles being very small indeed.

On 05/08/2020 at 16:00, Jashin said:

Is that an ‘anti consumer’ move? I can’t keep up.

Well, yeah. If you only want live, not having the 12 month option makes it more expensive, right? 4x3 month and 12x1 month are a bit more expensive. It shafts people who can't afford the $60 up front.

I guess we'll have to see what payment options pan out. Before I had 3 years of GPU for $1, I only paid for Live, in 12 month increments.

The "I can't keep up" bit - I'm just pointing out a fact.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

You said earlier that most customers aren’t even aware of what 4K is, or disc drives, before suggesting Sony are offering a clearer choice, one with a disc drive one without. So why is it confusing for customers with no understanding of 4K or disc drives when choosing an Xbox as opposed to a PlayStation? Are Xbox customers just inherently more stupid? 

Because the PS5 is the same console, it is not weaker. It is this power difference which has the potential to confuse and also create a bad general perception. Having only Game Pass to counter this or communicate what weaker means will not prove an efficient strategy for Microsoft to attract more people through the Series S imo. 

13 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Because the PS5 is the same console, it is not weaker. It is this power difference which has the potential to confuse and also create a bad general perception. Having only Game Pass to counter this or communicate what weaker means will not prove an efficient strategy for Microsoft to attract more people through the Series S imo. 

All those people buying Switch Lites that don't Switch must be really confused.

• Upvote 2
15 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Both Microsoft and Sony have sold at least two different flavours of their consoles and not run into any issues. Or at least not enough to deter Microsoft from using the S and X naming convention again.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, footle said:

You are comparing apples and oranges.

17 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Both Microsoft and Sony have sold at least two different flavours of their consoles and not run into any issues. Or at least not enough to deter Microsoft from using the S and X naming convention again.

My point is how effective this strategy will be into attracting people into game pass, assuming that is the main reason they are releasing the S. I believe it will prove much less effective than Microsoft hopes and I consider it a wrong move on their part.

I guess we will find out in the future anyway.

I think the success of the S will depend on just how aggressive Microsoft are with the pricing of the All Access option. If there is a $20 a month subscription that gets you a Series S + GamePass then I expect that'll do very well for them. The Series S would need to be $299 or less for that to happen though. 

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

You’re not comparing like for like - the existing flavours of PS4/Xbox One were slim and upgraded versions and launched mid-way through the generation, years after the original consoles. 

Launching a cut down version of a console alongside that console is a completely different proposition. My belief is that launching two consoles, both of which are an upgrade to the last generation and both of which can play the same games, is a really tricky prospect for consumers and most likely will result in Series X under performing in the market as it’s main defining feature will be that it the me expensive one. 

But I’ve probably banged my drum loud and long enough at this point and will refrain from doing so further. 

I think pretty much any discussion of the Series X online demonstrates some of the potential pitfalls MS face with the approach they've chosen as I‘ve already seen (a little bit here but mostly elsewhere) people contorting themselves saying they want the most powerful console while simultaneously arguing that they don't care about graphics.

Possibly, but I have my doubts that play our exclusive games that look about the same as on your 7 year old Xbox just at 120fps is going to be a killer selling point to the mass market.

• Upvote 2
50 minutes ago, footle said:

I can't tell which side of the slightly-confected debate you're trying to support here, but I've had to explain a few times (to different people) that the only difference between the Switch and Lite is the TV connection, and how yes it does play all the same games etc.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Popo said:

You’re not comparing like for like - the existing flavours of PS4/Xbox One were slim and upgraded versions and launched mid-way through the generation, years after the original consoles. 

Yes. But now people are used to it.

38 minutes ago, Popo said:

Launching a cut down version of a console alongside that console is a completely different proposition. My belief is that launching two consoles, both of which are an upgrade to the last generation and both of which can play the same games, is a really tricky prospect for consumers and most likely will result in Series X under performing in the market as it’s main defining feature will be that it the me expensive one. 

But I’ve probably banged my drum loud and long enough at this point and will refrain from doing so further. 

Regardless of when they were released they still managed to coexist quite happily for three of four years with seemingly little to no confusion over which console does what, so customers are used to this now, just as they are with PC’s, TV’s, phones, iPads etc. It’s commonplace throughout consumer electronics. 

2 hours ago, layten said:

Depends how quickly they release Flight Simulator. :hat: 

The single reason I’m looking at upgrading my Xbox, for the time being at least. It is quite frankly an astonishing looking game. 

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Regardless of when they were released they still managed to coexist quite happily for three of four years with seemingly little to no confusion over which console does what, so customers are used to this now, just as they are with PC’s, TV’s, phones, iPads etc. It’s commonplace throughout consumer electronics. 

nah, people buying consoles at launch are much more stupid than other people* and very easily confused.

* ok, so this is true, but for other reasons.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

The single reason I’m looking at upgrading my Xbox, for the time being at least. It is quite frankly an astonishing looking game. 

I can see absolutely no appeal to flight sims unfortunately. Looks pretty, mind you. Can’t see it as a system seller to all and sundry however.

55 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

You are comparing apples and oranges.

My point is how effective this strategy will be into attracting people into game pass, assuming that is the main reason they are releasing the S. I believe it will prove much less effective than Microsoft hopes and I consider it a wrong move on their part.

I guess we will find out in the future anyway.

You don’t need a console at all to use Game Pass, the point is that if you enjoy using it you’re more likely to buy or upgrade to one, or upgrade your PC etc, either way it’s a win for MS - having various price points makes it easier to choose. 

A scenario that I’ve been thinking about: Series S comes out. Cheap, not great. PS5 is expensive, great.

”Well, I’ll get a Series S now to piss about on Halo and those Xbox games I missed. I can get the PS5 there are some games I really want.”

3 years pass.

“Well shit I own all these Xbox games now, better get a Series X Second Edition.”

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I can see absolutely no appeal to flight sims unfortunately. Looks pretty, mind you. Can’t see it as a system seller to all and sundry however.

Yeah I get that, but it’s the first game that made me say - I want the best version I can afford, which could well be the Series S if it seems decent (tbh though it’s that good I will probably go for the Series X and buy a new flight controller). We’ll see!

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah I get that, but it’s the first game that made me say - I want the best version I can afford, which could well be the Series S if it seems decent (tbh though it’s that good I will probably go for the Series X and buy a new flight controller). We’ll see!

Save up some more and get the bloody PC version then. God knows how you can make a simulator on a console with just a joypad :p

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - 10th November