Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

15 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

With a title like "Infinite" I worry that it's going to be very multiplayer heavy. I know Halo is famous for it's MP modes but a good SP FPS that isn't Call of Duty would be good.

Infinite? Suggests to me something more like Halo: Anthem of Destiny edition. Which would also tie in with Microsoft's corporate strategy - think Sea of Thieves, Games Pass, Gears 5's Seasons, Forza Horizon's ongoing content drops etc.

19 minutes ago, footle said:

Infinite? Suggests to me something more like Halo: Anthem of Destiny edition. Which would also tie in with Microsoft's corporate strategy - think Sea of Thieves, Games Pass, Gears 5's Seasons, Forza Horizon's ongoing content drops etc.

Indeed the games as a service idea is not a bad one really. Build the scalable foundations of a game and then just release updates. To be honest it's probably the best way of recouping the enormous dev costs these days and keeping everyone on your ecosystem. See Fortnite.

Taming Forza Horizon for example. Forza Horizon Infinite would actually be a interesting concept. Different locations added all the time that join together to form a traversable world. Keep releasing various additional extras. 

Guessing this is how most games will go on the upcoming gen. Isn't Sony's new Spiderman announcement just an extension of an existing game for example? I can see things like Uncharted going the same way... Engine developed and then just bolt in new stories or episodes. The Last Of Us - same. Gran Turismo 7 will probably build on the foundations of Sport re-using assets form that etc etc. Nothing wrong with that really let's face it the only thing that fundamentally changes in many games is the asset quality and then the stories etc.

Think I'm seeing the future here.... Fortnite model has led the way.... Although Sony will want you to pony up the £50 for each release, MS will have GanePass for the core game and extensions will come through throughout the lifecycle of the game.

Interesting to see how all this turns out.... :)

1 hour ago, Flanders said:

But do you not think that’s mental? Game Pass is supposed to be the Netflix of games, it’s all about easy access and expanding the potential customer base. How does that match up with removing your lower-cost hardware from the market?

How can you switch to a subscription service focus and then never have a console available at less than £200? The Netflix model works because Netflix runs on everything. 

Xcloud is the obvious answer here but I still reckon that’s a few years away - and even more so in the new developing markets that Microsoft wants to target. 

I could see the One S staying around after the Series X/S launch but I don't see a place for the One X. 

It's never going to be a cheap console due to the hefty cooling system so why keep it around? 

54 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

I hope Halo: Infinite has a decent single player campaign.

With a title like "Infinite" I worry that it's going to be very multiplayer heavy. I know Halo is famous for it's MP modes but a good SP FPS that isn't Call of Duty would be good.

I’m basically hoping for Halo: Breath of The Wild. 

Stripping it back to what made us love the original in the first place, emergent gameplay moments aplenty, discovering mysterious new environments and structures filled with pockets of enemies to deal with however you like, with no two encounters going the same thanks to good enemy AI and tight combat mechanics. But this time set in a big open world that’s basically the illusion the first game created but actually made a reality, doing things in any order you like and heading in any direction you please.

17 minutes ago, Pob said:

Only thing is they've got 20 years of lore hanging around their necks. I'd honestly love them just to sack it all off and do a reinterpretation of the original Halo.

Who cares about the lore of Halo though really? It’s always been about the combat.

You're going to point me in the direction of some rabid Halo lore fans now, aren’t you?!

3 hours ago, Flanders said:

I actually think Microsoft’s overall business plan still looks confused and caught between two different approaches.

Game Pass is a great idea. And it’s necessary because it’s Microsoft have been in the console business for 20 years now and they’re still the number three player in it behind Nintendo and Sony.

The only generation they were remotely competitive for market leadership was when Sony went insane and even then they couldn’t get near Nintendo and the 360 ended up selling almost on parity with the PS3 by the end.

So for whatever reason, Microsoft can’t win when they’re playing either of the other two at their own game. That means the need to change the game, and Game Pass - becoming a service rather than hardware - is the best way to do that.

With that in mind, it’s the Series X or whatever this Lockhart is that I can’t see the point of right now. Instead of going head to head with Sony via another expensive box, just drop the existing One S to £99, One X to £149 and get people hooked on Game Pass that way. 

Microsoft aren’t going to have any actual ‘next-gen’ games ready until 2022 anyway - why not just step away from the bunfight and go all in on the subscription vision? If they introduced a Series X console at a later date then they could price lower and they would be selling it to millions more Game Pass subscribers - and at that point the whole smart delivery upgrade thing becomes much more impressive. 

Tl, Dr - Game Pass is the killer app, MS should use consoles to sell Game Pass, at the moment it still seems like they’re using Game Pass to sell consoles.

I agree with most of this, but I think it's too early to draw your conclusion from the current situation. We will know how they are pitching everything when the price is out.

I still think they may try and totally blow Sony out of the water on price, with the view that Game Pass is what they actually want people using. 

They have the financial clout and the vision to pitch the XSX £100 cheaper than the PS5, and then if the Lockhart rumour is true they could also have a product out at £199-£249 in the first year, capturing both ends of the market.

Yes, Sony have the branding, but do they have the clout to fight off a price attack on two fronts? Who knows.

I could be totally wrong on this and perhaps they will price the XSX as a premium product and just use the Lockhart device to undercut Sony.

2 hours ago, Vemsie said:

The Initiative, a studio built from the ground up with Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica alumni (as well as talent from Rockstar and Respawn)? Or something else entirely?

didn’t know that was their intake sources.  Tasty. 

1 hour ago, footle said:

Raids and stuff in the Halo universe with some decent AI plus maybe some Forge Stuff built in to let people create PVP arenas?   That would be amazing.  

2 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I agree with most of this, but I think it's too early to draw your conclusion from the current situation. We will know how they are pitching everything when the price is out.

I still think they may try and totally blow Sony out of the water on price, with the view that Game Pass is what they actually want people using. 

They have the financial clout and the vision to pitch the XSX £100 cheaper than the PS5, and then if the Lockhart rumour is true they could also have a product out at £199-£249 in the first year, capturing both ends of the market.

Yes, Sony have the branding, but do they have the clout to fight off a price attack on two fronts? Who knows.

I could be totally wrong on this and perhaps they will price the XSX as a premium product and just use the Lockhart device to undercut Sony.

They 100pc have the resources to do that, but on the other hand that’s not a new situation. Microsoft has always had the financial resources to blow their competitors out of the market through that kind of aggressive pricing but it never has. Probably because videogames still aren’t really a core business for it.

I agree with a lot of posters that Microsoft’s messaging has been clear, and there’s no doubt that they are being very pro-consumer with their approach. 

my question is: if you are already an Xbox One X owner, is the promise of shinier graphics and shorter loading times enough to persuade you to upgrade to a Series X when for the first couple of years all the first-party games will be fundamentally the same across both generations? And while it might be enough for us, is Joe Public going to feel the same?  Halo Infinite could be amazing, and I hope it is, but it would still be amazing on One X. 

21 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

I agree with a lot of posters that Microsoft’s messaging has been clear, and there’s no doubt that they are being very pro-consumer with their approach. 

my question is: if you are already an Xbox One X owner, is the promise of shinier graphics and shorter loading times enough to persuade you to upgrade to a Series X when for the first couple of years all the first-party games will be fundamentally the same across both generations? And while it might be enough for us, is Joe Public going to feel the same?  Halo Infinite could be amazing, and I hope it is, but it would still be amazing on One X. 

I think the "issue" here is that what we've got is a transition to a mobile phone model, that is to say you'll get support even though they've now released new hardware. 

If they do support the 1X for 2 years after the XSX comes out, I think that'll be pretty fantastic for me. I get to choose when I buy hardware to play the games I want to play. 

Conceivably you could see games coming out that will run on the Original X1, the X1X and now Series1 and the blockbusters only on X1X and Series1. That could go on for ten years or more. With digital games, they just need to detect which machine you're on and not let you buy things you don't have the hardware for and for Disc releases a minimum spec, as PC games had back in the day. 

I don't really see this as a problem, indeed for Microsoft they get to keep more of their audience engaged without a hard cut off that leaves some behind. This is kinda what they did with the 360-X1 launch, Forza Horizon and a few others came out on both machines. I assume they got some decent data from that about how to proceed. 

With backwards compatibility, they're just giving you a massive library of games and the ability to keep playing them. 

I don't really see it as a problem for me, and I assume that Microsoft are big enough to take the hit if I don't buy their zero profit hardware on day one. In a way it's probably better for them if I hold on for a year and buy it when I assume they're getting a bit more profit margin out of it. 

19 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

didn’t know that was their intake sources.  Tasty. 

Yeah, they're based in Santa Monica as well. Some Xbox fans might disagree, but an Uncharted style Perfect Dark sounds pretty tasty to me.

24 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

what would you like to see? :) 

Honestly, no more Master Chief. I would love it if they had us play a human that's been given a Spartan suit. They could have a face that gets shown in cutscenes have a non silly voice and be able to put a bit more emotion into things. They can still have an AI partner and do a story about all that stuff if they like. 

It'd be nice if the story was self contained in one game.

Swords of Sanghelios was the best bit of Halo 5, so more of that.  I'd be happy for maps to have multiple lanes/paths to give you some variety. I'm not so keen on Open World anything to be honest.

More amazing 4v4 Arena multiplayer.

No Promethians. No Warden Eternal. Probably no Brutes.

The problem they've got is that Halo is different things to everyone. For me it's the multiplayer mainly. For some it's a particular campaign. I couldn't care less about Forge and always groan when they come up on rotation. For some it's a big deal. 

19 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

Some third-party games will be next-gen exclusive though, like Resident Evil 8. That might sway some as well.

1 minute ago, Flanders said:

They 100pc have the resources to do that, but on the other hand that’s not a new situation. Microsoft has always had the financial resources to blow their competitors out of the market through that kind of aggressive pricing but it never has. Probably because videogames still aren’t really a core business for it.

This is true, although it also appears true that this generation they actually have a competent executive team in place who might be able to pitch their case internally better than the absolutely terrible team that handled the Xbox One product launch.

I can see why they would be phasing out the Xbox One S and Xbox One X though - it will be a lot cheaper for them to mass-produce two models instead of four, and there will be more than enough Xbox One S and Xbox One X units available second hand for people who want to spend less than £150 to be in the MS ecosystem.

26 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

Yes, it appeals to me, although I may wait until 2021. I say this as someone who owns a big LG OLED 4K HDR TV, and so I will benefit from the increased grunt - if I was still on a smaller 1080p set I'd have no reason to upgrade. 

The model does mean I'm not in a real rush to upgrade however, which is fine for me.

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

Some third-party games will be next-gen exclusive though, like Resident Evil 8. That might sway some as well.

But that will be on PS5 as well (although it might look and run better on X). So if you already have a One X, why wouldn’t you go for a PS5 knowing you can still play all the first-party Xbox games for a couple of years, plus all the Sony exclusives. I don’t have an opinion one way or the other, I just think there’s a chance Sony could grab an early lead if they have some killer exclusives in the first year or so. 

I imagine Microsoft's more eagerly chasing current PS4 owners than current Xbox One X owners. I know that if I decided that the PS5 was a bunch of mad old bollocks I'd be getting a Series X, not a One X, even if the same games were available on both.

And if that turns out to be the case, Xbox One owners are going to sit and buy a Series X later, not defect.

2 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

But that will be on PS5 as well (although it might look and run better on X). So if you already have a One X, why wouldn’t you go for a PS5 knowing you can still play all the first-party Xbox games for a couple of years, plus all the Sony exclusives. I don’t have an opinion one way or the other, I just think there’s a chance Sony could grab an early lead if they have some killer exclusives in the first year or so. 

Sure, if you're interested in PS5 exclusives it would be a good alternative no doubt. I guess these things differ from person to person. I'm interested in certain Xbox titles, but already have a high-end PC, so for me it'll be PC and PS5 and Switch for exclusives.

I think MS doesn't really care where you play as long as it's their games and services.

1 hour ago, Gigawatt said:

I don't want to go stepping on the toes of the forums Poundland Pachter but the impression I get from listening to people close to Microsoft, sorry MSFT*, is that they are aiming the Series X squarely at the people who went out and bought a One X as that enthusiast section of the market spends more on games. The people who bought a $499 One X when it launched alongside Super Lucky's Tale obviously valued performance highly.

*Nasdaq baybay!!! 

Where is confidence in the discontinuation of the One S coming from? Unless it's been mentioned otherwise I can see them sticking with that for quite a while, especially after Phil Spencer's recent talk about riding out the pandemic by providing various jumping in points for Xbox/next-gen. He even said something like "if in two years you are ready for Series X then it'll be there for you" implying the cheaper options will be very viable.

I could easily see (possibly in the digital only) the One S being slammed on price as far as they can get it as effectively an entry point Game Pass machine (and introduction to the Xbox ecosystem), then Lockhart replacing the One X as the 'next gen' but more affordable option, and then the Series X being the expensive pro/hardcore powerhouse. Personally I think that would give them a really strong level of coverage going into the battle with PS5.

I certainly can't see the Series X coming in at anything less than 'expensive'.

18 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

My question is: if you are already an Xbox One X owner, is the promise of shinier graphics and shorter loading times enough to persuade you to upgrade to a Series X when for the first couple of years all the first-party games will be fundamentally the same across both generations? 

100% yes and here’s a full why! 

Games loading way faster and at 4K / 60fps and those games not only being new releases but also my current (massive and game pass enriched!) catalogue, coupled with a dashboard that for me has evolved into something that’s perfectly usable, personally for me make it the most attractive next gen machine yet!! Considering I started with a C64 (circa ‘83/4) and have owned or had the chance to own pretty much every home computer / console since then, that’s saying something :)!! 

2 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

Honestly, no more Master Chief. I would love it if they had us play a human that's been given a Spartan suit. They could have a face that gets shown in cutscenes have a non silly voice and be able to put a bit more emotion into things. They can still have an AI partner and do a story about all that stuff if they like. 

It'd be nice if the story was self contained in one game.

Swords of Sanghelios was the best bit of Halo 5, so more of that.  I'd be happy for maps to have multiple lanes/paths to give you some variety. I'm not so keen on Open World anything to be honest.

More amazing 4v4 Arena multiplayer.

No Promethians. No Warden Eternal. Probably no Brutes.

The problem they've got is that Halo is different things to everyone. For me it's the multiplayer mainly. For some it's a particular campaign. I couldn't care less about Forge and always groan when they come up on rotation. For some it's a big deal. 

I guess a spin off like ODST Isn’t out of the question.  Would allow them to experiment without risking the main franchise for those that just want more Master chief.  

I likeD forge because of the mad games that people created with it that weren’t just firefights. 

12 minutes ago, womble9 said:

100% and here’s a full why! 

Games loading way faster and at 4K / 60fps and those games not only being new releases but also my current (massive and game pass enriched!) catalogue, 

That is a very strong argument and not something I think Sony have a reply to.