IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

That's what I expect also. The cross-gen promise is a gesture of goodwill towards existing owners, *and* to keep their existing customers subscribed to Game Pass even without upgrading. But with the Series S presumably being a thing, there's no need to keep the One line in business for new people to jump in through a more affordable path. 

I'm expecting the Series X to be as expensive as a PS5 (either the deluxe disc edition or the modern digital one) and the Series S to undercut Sony's cheapest model. A more powerful console for the same price as their direct competitor and also a less powerful but far cheaper one.

21 minutes ago, Jashin said:

I’m sure it will be, the naming conventions are a complete mess otherwise.

Complete mess.

Current gen

Xbox One

Xbox One S

Xbox One X

Upcoming gen

Xbox Series S

Xbox Series X

How will anyone ever understand?

59 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’m still confused about how they’re going to take advantage of the fast SSD I/O of Series X/S if the games will need to run on Xbox One/One S/One X. Can anyone shed any light on that?

This year, things load quicker and more assets can be streamed in. Next year, when you’ve actually got a decent install base of Series consoles... you start getting games designed around it.

49 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Xbox One games will take longer.

All I can think is if you take that Unreal 5 demo as an example, on the super fast flying bit near the end, the current gen consoles will just have to use lower resolution textures. Will it even matter at that speed, as you won’t even see them zipping past?

Just now, JPL said:

All I can think is if you take that Unreal 5 demo as an example, on the super fast flying bit near the end, the current gen consoles will just have to use lower resolution textures. Will it even matter at that speed, as you won’t even see them zipping past?

Do you really think there will be first party unreal engine 5 games targetting the existing consoles? It’s not scheduled for release to devs till next spring, so really significant features from it won’t be in games till at least 2022.

Just now, footle said:

Do you really think there will be first party unreal engine 5 games targetting the existing consoles? It’s not scheduled for release to devs till next spring, so really significant features from it won’t be in games till at least 2022.

Nah, that’s not even a real game. I was just using it as an example. I’m sure they’ve considered how it’ll all work, but I’m just speculating how they’ll do it.

4 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

I just remember waiting. There never seemed to be anything new out, just things on the horizon.

Yes aye, there seemed to be less and less stuff coming out for the GameCube as each year went on. 

I think this is a Nintendo thing that’s STILL happening. The Switch is a huge success, but Nintendo’s output on it seems to get continually smaller each year. 

3 minutes ago, Popo said:

He guys, can you keep the Xbox chat to background levels please? We’re trying to have a serious discussion on the GameCube import scene, thanks. 

imagine a GameCube with an SSD!

4 hours ago, mushashi said:

That's precisely what they are for console ports. For PC exclusives, there aren't any designed around needing 8 core CPUs or GPU compute to work so even PC exclusives are 'held back' by the need to run on weaker hardware that isn't a console.

You design for your minimum spec hardware and anything more powerful than that just gets it prettier and more performant.

ETS2 is playable on absolute dog shit level hardware that is over a decade old for example (I have tried it myself), but if they had the money and desire to cut off 99% of their customer base, the level of simulation and expansiveness of their world design could be way higher.

This is something I often wonder about and things like the Steam hardware survey probably answer a bit... how many PC gamers are actually able to play at higher settings and performance than the current console generation offers? And how does that shift as a generation progresses?

“Master Race” always struck me as a term that would be equally apt if there were only a tiny minority PC gamers on superior hardware, and a bunch of degenerates claiming some unjustified kinship with them. ;) 

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Yes aye, there seemed to be less and less stuff coming out for the GameCube as each year went on. 

I think this is a Nintendo thing that’s STILL happening. The Switch is a huge success, but Nintendo’s output on it seems to get continually smaller each year. 

It’s been like that every generation with Nintendo for me. I bought Zelda and Mario Odyssey, then Kart, but since then nothing has taken my fancy and anything third party I’d rather play on my Xbox. The Switch is now in the hands of my eldest son and is purely a Fortnite machine.

I can never miss out on those killer exclusives though.

27 minutes ago, JPL said:

It’s been like that every generation with Nintendo for me. I bought Zelda and Mario Odyssey, then Kart, but since then nothing has taken my fancy and anything third party I’d rather play on my Xbox. The Switch is now in the hands of my eldest son and is purely a Fortnite machine.

I can never miss out on those killer exclusives though.

It’s just a YMMV thing. For some people Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing etc. are just as (if not more) essential as Zelda and Mario. 

20 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

It’s just a YMMV thing. For some people Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing etc. are just as (if not more) essential as Zelda and Mario. 

Oh yeah, definitely. It’s always been the same with every Nintendo console post-SNES for me though. Zelda, Mario, Kart and maybe one or 2 others (Metroid, 1080 and Waverace spring to mind). Outside of those, I’m not interested.

It’s cool though. I’ll keep buying their consoles as long as they keep making shit hot games.

I listened to the podcast version of that yesterday as Jeff Grubb tweeted about how he was on the episode. Nate the Hate is an awful name for anything as you'd naturally assume it's some edgelord nonsense but it's a civilised discussion.

One point I did find interesting was the idea that Microsoft might get rid of Xbox Live Gold when these consoles launch. The thinking behind the theory was that getting rid of the fee to play online reinforced the idea that Lockhart was the best value console out there. They didn't claim to have insider information and were just speculating on the direction Microsoft is going but it made a lot of sense while they were talking about it. 

13 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Gee I wonder what will go in the left over space in the black bar there.

On the Far Cry one there's not enough room to do Xbox Series S.  They could change to Xbox Series X & S ? 

Or X is either console because that's not confusing

Whilst I accept that all those little badges and labels means something, it's really ugly isn't it? Goddamn. 4K Ultra HD, HDR, Smart Delivery, Optimised for Series X, XBOX SERIES X, XBOX ONE, XBOX TBC and then the big XBOX on the top too. Add on the regulatory and publisher stuff, and it's a right clutter of guff. I accept this means nothing, but wow.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

Whilst I accept that all those little badges and labels means something, it's really ugly isn't it? Goddamn. 4K Ultra HD, HDR, Smart Delivery, Optimised for Series X, XBOX SERIES X, XBOX ONE, XBOX TBC and then the big XBOX on the top too. Add on the regulatory and publisher stuff, and it's a right clutter of guff. I accept this means nothing, but wow.

The optimised badge is the particularly awful one.

Yeah, all that info is really badly laid out. It looks a total mess with stuff just slapped all over the place. They should have moved the Xbox logo over to the left of the green header, then created a system that gave you all the info you need to the right of it. I should do this for a living.