Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

16 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

This is a really cool vid by the way, showing a ton of variety.

Much more excited by that than most of last night's presentation. Simple and to the point. Showing little clips of gameplay I could immediately see stuff I want to play.

6 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Much more excited by that than most of last night's presentation. Simple and to the point. Showing little clips of gameplay I could immediately see stuff I want to play.

Agree 100%. Give me an hour of stuff like that over the AAA stuff.

That video is great.

Exo one looks bloody gorgeous and a joy to play.

I seen a digital foundry vid that Falcon game and it was fucking beautiful and looks flawless. Made by one guy as well

Mad streets looks daft

Eurogamer preview of Remedy's CrossfireX campaign.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-24-crossfirexs-campaign-looks-like-smart-dumb-fps-action-done-in-classic-remedy-style

The muzzle flash from your weapons is almost blinding, even more so when you activate Combat Breaker, CrossfireX's take on the studio's by-now-compulsory bullet time. The ability is available on a short timer, and when it's in flow the effects work is staggering.

CrossfireX's knowingly hokey take on Call of Duty's action doesn't break new ground - the short demo we saw was a succession of breezy shooting galleries with enemies downed with satisfying ease, complete with mobs standing around red generators that are inviting you to blow them up. But when they blow up they do it Remedy style, in a blinding flash of particles and light. Later there's a turret-esque section as you ride on the back of an ambulance through the storm-lashed and wartorn town, which offers the perfect excuse for an absolute dervish of effects work.

It adds up to a very traditional, very old school and very, very stylish brand of first-person action that suggests Remedy has made the transition to first-person deftly - and despite the shift in perspective, there's no mistaking this for anything other than a Remedy game. Because when things go bang in CrossfireX, they go bang real good.

That's one thing which really hasn't developed much since the original Half-Life and almost feels like it's taken a couple of steps back since then. Most enemies these days are just so incredibly dense. There's no real strategy needed when fighting them. Find some cover, fire at an enemy until they run out of health. Maybe if you're lucky an enemy will use cover, but usually that just turns into shoot, hide, shoot, hide... urgh. There's no real intelligence to enemies. No enemy flanking or working together, keeping the player suppressed and throwing grenades to flush them out. Half-Life's grunt encounters were scripted, but at least they kept you guessing. I guess this is why I've gone off FPS's for the most part as everything just feels Doom'esque. There's no real threat and feel like you need to outwit your enemy. It's just who has enough bullets.

24 minutes ago, tronied said:

That's one thing which really hasn't developed much since the original Half-Life and almost feels like it's taken a couple of steps back since then. Most enemies these days are just so incredibly dense. There's no real strategy needed when fighting them. Find some cover, fire at an enemy until they run out of health. Maybe if you're lucky an enemy will use cover, but usually that just turns into shoot, hide, shoot, hide... urgh. There's no real intelligence to enemies. No enemy flanking or working together, keeping the player suppressed and throwing grenades to flush them out. Half-Life's grunt encounters were scripted, but at least they kept you guessing. I guess this is why I've gone off FPS's for the most part as everything just feels Doom'esque. There's no real threat and feel like you need to outwit your enemy. It's just who has enough bullets.

Don't know depends what difficulty level you set. Although saying that playing through Last Of Us 2 at the moment and they are indeed fairly stupid. However also don't want a game that is a chore to play it's got to be fun too!

I'd like to see more deformable worlds on the next iteration of hardware so battlefields dynamically change so blow something up and use the rubble as cover etc. It as eluded to in things like Crackdown 3 but never really materialised. Power of the cloud eh!

Who knows might happen this time around!

Well I don't know about anyone else but I really enjoyed last night's show (and also - that independent video on the previous page - that was great).

At this moment in time, I'm not massively fussed whether or not MS need to show off the power of the Series X.  The vast majority of it appeals to me as the current owner of a One X and it looks like there are some very cool titles on the way.

I also thought Halo looked tremendous and was slightly surprised by the vitriol it received.  

5 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

see previous post about quantum leaps

Ziggy says there’s an 89% chance you’ve been sent back to prevent Sony from winning the console war!

image.thumb.jpeg.f4c2e6706d7e6053a81f80d655da7964.jpeg

“Oh brother...”

19 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

The baddies in TLOU2 and Uncharted 4 are pretty smart, would be a bit of a PITA to fight in first person though.

don’t remember uncharted 4, but in TLOU2 they basically walk set routes then either hang back or close in on your position when you’re “heard”. If you’re quiet, they’ll happily right up to the pile of dead bodies of their friends.

(and they have to be, because if they were “actually smart” they wouldn’t be predictable enough for you to play hunter-killer (all they really need to do is spot a corpse then hide and wait for you to show yourself),: it’s the fundamental problem of game “ai”)

we also have another twenty years of pattern recognition for standard videogame ai moves though. Games filled with early 2000 quake bots turned up a bit wouldn’t be fun :)

14 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Don't know depends what difficulty level you set. Although saying that playing through Last Of Us 2 at the moment and they are indeed fairly stupid. However also don't want a game that is a chore to play it's got to be fun too!

I thought they were pretty good on Hard. They have set patterns but deviate from them when spotted, they look around, they flank, they communicate your position to other enemies, they attack from multiple directions, etc. But yeah, make them too 'intelligent' and it becomes too hard to be enjoyable for most. 

DOOM's design is pretty cool as well, as you basically have super agressive enemies of different types attacking you from all angles. It's highly dynamic.

That said, I'd love to see an FPS like FEAR again. It's also why I'm excited about Deathloop, as you targets can be humans as well, making everything far more unpredictable.

6 minutes ago, footle said:

Games filled with early 2000 quake bots turned up a bit wouldn’t be fun :)

Ha, this reminded me of my uni project I did for our AI module using Unreal Tournament bots (circa 2001). My first attempt basically saw all 3 bots I the arena run at you in a straight line at full speed unleashing every bullet/rocket they had (regardless of if you were in cover or not) until they ran out, then turning to run in a straight line to the nearest ammo, and then turning and running straight back at you to repeat. It was terrible. :) 

7 hours ago, rafaqat said:

In 2 months xCloud becomes part of GamePass. I think the beta is on android already.  I don't think we're THAT far away from not needing an xbox to play xbox games.

You should let MS know that, save them the bother of a new console. ;)

Hasn't it been said for years now that it isn't actually that hard to code really good AI? Good as in effective/difficult anyway. The challenge is in making the AI feel convincingly human while still making it fun enough to play against. I don't think it's been an issue of raw power for a long time now.

9 hours ago, Hitcher said:

But you paid $120 just for Gold; to upgrade to GPU still only cost you $1!

I suppose you could argue that I may not have subscribed to gold for that length of time, and I never stack years in advance. And, as it turns out, gold may be going away 1 year into my 3 years of ultimate. However you want to slice it, the cost was up front with the intent of accessing game pass. 

Feels like splitting hairs. 

Edit - probably should add, I think I probably had a years worth of money out of it, at normal cost, but it's touch and go, given my limited play time. I never had any intention of using it, originally. 

At this moment in time, the main reason I want a Series X is in the hope that I’ll be able to run Red Dead Redemption at 60fps. 

Which is clearly not guaranteed, but I’m optimistic.

Fuck all the new games ;)

4 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

You should let MS know that, save them the bother of a new console. ;)

Blimey.  You're a proper negative nancy aren't you. 

Edit: Sorry Sarlacc, didnt' realise poinitng out you were being a constant sourpuss would be enough for tears. :lol: