Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

16 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Apart from the specific console they keep talking about and spent most of the hour trying to get us to spend £500 on?

Gamepass might be their platform in the future, when we can just download the Xbox app onto our TVs and off we go, but while they’re still locked in to ”amount of Xbox’s sold (+some pc users) = amount of gamepass subscribers” it’s still only a part of their platform.

(I think they still need to do a good job of selling us the box basically)

To use a slightly laboured example, isn't this a bit like saying why are Apple bothering to bring out a new iPhone when the last one still runs everything on the app store?

I know that doesn't work quite 1/1 because Apple probably make a lot more profit selling new phones than MS will with the Series X, but if anything I think that backs up that they're more focused on selling Games Pass than the console itself. There's a faster one for people who want it, and eventually the software will stop supporting older models. Maybe it doesn't appeal right now, but eventually you'll need to upgrade and it'll be the only option going forward. 

Personally, yeah, I'd rather have had my face melted off by a next-gen exclusive Halo Infinite, but I understand why they're doing what they're doing and I can see it working.

I don't mind that the current console is rendered obsolete less quickly, my XB1 will be moved to my desk in my bedroom for late night play. Me being downstairs keeps the puppies awake, ruling out jollies on the big TV :p

I totally get anyone wanting a line in the sand between generations, though. 

Have we ever had a console transition where the previous leader didn’t completely shit the bed? I guess PS1 to PS2 is the only one?

Nintendo had an easy lead but shit the bed on the SNES due to arrogance. SEGA had an easy lead but shit the bed on the Saturn due to arrogance. Sony carried their lead from PS1 to PS2 then had an easy lead but shit the bed on the PS3 due to arrogance. Microsoft/Nintendo had an easy lead but shit the bed on the Bone/Wii U due to arrogance.

Maybe all Sony actually need to do to carry over their lead is not totally fuck it up like complete idiots. It’s definitely a rarity. 

So here are my thoughts on the conference thingy, presented in a scattered list because that'll make them seem important. 

-PC gamers were the biggest winners. It isn't that long ago that Microsofts PC offerings were a total joke, now they have a very strong looking lineup for PC gamers going forward and you get it all through Gamepass if you want or Steam if you want to support Gabes knife collection. Thats just nice. 

-Halo Infinite looked disappointing. That E3 2018 reveal was gorgeous and hinted at something very different. There was still some good looking stuff in the demo but it didn't live up to the hype. 

-The whole Destiny 2 on Gamepass thing was just a big middle finger to Stadia wasn't it? Especially the bit about playing in 4K.

-Forza now being a launch game, and probably not available until late next year is a surprise. I thought it was a nailed on launch game after they skipped last year. Still, I'll be interested to see what they do with an extended development period. I like Forrza, even if I am bad at them and haven't fallen in love with one since 2.  I put so much time into that game. :wub:

-I was excited by the idea of Obsidian getting  a big budget to deliver on their ambitions. I'm still excited by that. 

-Everwild is so pretty. 

-I've really enjoyed any Steamworld game I have played so I am on board for The Gunk. 

-Psychonauts 2 trailer was nice but I was hoping we'd see something new from Double Fine. 

-No new Killer Instinct. Thats bad. I have no idea how to play the current one or whats happening when I try but I like messing with it every six months or so. 

-Stalker 2. Never thought that'd happen.

-Crossfire X. This seems a bit Anime in terms of having a mad story and  I want to play an FPS by Remedy so double win I guess. 

-Warhammer 40k. I don't recognise any of these people from when I played Soulstorm. 

-Fable seems lighthearted. Thats about all you can say. 

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

At this moment in time, the main reason I want a Series X is in the hope that I’ll be able to run Red Dead Redemption at 60fps. 

Which is clearly not guaranteed, but I’m optimistic.

Fuck all the new games ;)

Why not just buy a PC, I mean you’re guaranteed to be able to play all the Xbox exclusives on that too. 

@Broker I don't think arrogance is necessarily the explanation in any of those cases except the PS3. WiiU and the original Xbox One were both difficult, company-threatening gambles for the living room TV that turned out to be completely misguided but I don't think arrogance was the driving force.

The PS3 though? Ken Kuturagi getting IBM to change the number of coprocessors in the Cell because he liked the symmetry of 8 better than 6? Planning to do it all on said Cell, even graphics, until they're within striking distance of launch and Naughty Dog basically shows them how it's impossible? Then a GPU from Pioneer who have no GPU experience, forcing them to throw in an nVidia part at the last minute? Two HDMI ports?!

image.thumb.png.a0e435b14e006251e4f44bd9ec11ee7e.png

Forza won’t be end of next year. It’s not coming out on Xbox One so that means at least 2 years away surely under the ‘no first party Series X exclusives for the first two years’. I was gutted it was not a launch title,  I was not aware it was so early in development.

I must admit, the more I have thought about this today, I have gone from a dead cert day 1 Series X to maybe wait a while. I have the Xbox One X running on a 4K TV and I’m yet to see anything that is really pushing me to make the switch right at the start and spend £450 plus (assuming that’s the price bracket). Nothing that has been revealed so far that will be available at launch, first and third party, has looked a big ‘next gen’ upgrade so maybe the One X will suffice for now. I won’t miss out on any first party titles (I have 3 years Ultimate on the £1 deal) and the fact Cyberpunk is out Nov is also a big factor. Decisions, decisions.

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Why not just buy a PC, I mean you’re guaranteed to be able to play all the Xbox exclusives on that too. 

Because we've got a topic called 'At 33yrs old I have joined the PC master race' in Gaming where people have spent £1400+ on systems which don't have specs as good as a Series X. Unless you want a word processor or to fanny around in Photoshop why pay 3x the cost for a worse experience and have to use the windows store?

14 minutes ago, djbhammer said:

Forza won’t be end of next year. It’s not coming out on Xbox One so that means at least 2 years away surely under the ‘no first party Series X exclusives for the first two years’. I was gutted it was not a launch title,  I was not aware it was so early in development.

I must admit, the more I have thought about this today, I have gone from a dead cert day 1 Series X to maybe wait a while. I have the Xbox One X running on a 4K TV and I’m yet to see anything that is really pushing me to make the switch right at the start. Nothing has looked ‘next gen’ and maybe the One X will suffice for now. I won’t miss out on any first party titles (I have 3 years Ultimate on the £1 deal) and the fact Cyberpunk is out Nov is also a factor. Decisions, decisions.

Where is this two year rule coming from? A quick google seems to indicate it's based on a Matt Booty quote from early this year but we could already be almost half a year into this possible two year window he mentioned. 

I just can't see MS going five years between Forza Motorsport releases considering they were on a two year cycle for the 12 years between Forza 1 and Forza 7. Presumably they'd also have to hold the next Horizon game back until well after 8s release so would they also go five years between Horizon games? Forza Motorsport seems like a 2021 game to me at this point. 

16 minutes ago, Revival said:

Because we've got a topic called 'At 33yrs old I have joined the PC master race' in Gaming where people have spent £1400+ on systems which don't have specs as good as a Series X. Unless you want a word processor or to fanny around in Photoshop why pay 3x the cost for a worse experience and have to use the windows store?

We still don’t know how much an Xbox Series X will cost. 

22 minutes ago, djbhammer said:

I have the Xbox One X running on a 4K TV and I’m yet to see anything that is really pushing me to make the switch right at the start

I reckon they must surely be accounting for some of this happening, in terms of sales expectations for Series X. Pro owners probably wondering the same thing about the PS5.

26 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

@Broker I don't think arrogance is necessarily the explanation in any of those cases except the PS3. WiiU and the original Xbox One were both difficult, company-threatening gambles for the living room TV that turned out to be completely misguided but I don't think arrogance was the driving force.

The PS3 though? Ken Kuturagi getting IBM to change the number of coprocessors in the Cell because he liked the symmetry of 8 better than 6? Planning to do it all on said Cell, even graphics, until they're within striking distance of launch and Naughty Dog basically shows them how it's impossible? Then a GPU from Pioneer who have no GPU experience, forcing them to throw in an nVidia part at the last minute? Two HDMI ports?!

image.thumb.png.a0e435b14e006251e4f44bd9ec11ee7e.png

The SNES was, because the Nintendo guy was all “people love the NES”. SEGA seemed to think they could do whatever and would keep their lead, and the Bone appeared to be an attempt to spin their success in gaming into another field, which suggests major confidence in the current product. 

45 minutes ago, Stanley said:

?

PC gaming is my primary source of stuff.

Red Dead Redemption isn't on it, and whilst I'd love to believe they will do a remake of the thing eventually I'm not holding my breath.

3 minutes ago, JoeK said:

?

PC gaming is my primary source of stuff.

Red Dead Redemption isn't on it, and whilst I'd love to believe they will do a remake of the thing eventually I'm not holding my breath.

Sorry assumed you meant RDR2. 

11 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Red Dead Redemption remake rumours were doing the rounds about a month back. Using the new game engine and adding hunting fishing and lots of stuff.

I doubt it, though they did model most of it in RDR2 again. This whole remake and replay thing does turn me off a bit, but I suppose that’s just because I played most of this stuff the first time round and there’s so much more new stuff to play than I’ll ever manage with the limited time I have available.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

because if I buy a PC I’m spending £2k and won’t be able to have it in the living room

(I’ll be seriously considering buying a PC as well as a next gen console, and then the other next gen console a year of so in, assuming I still have a job in eighteen months)

51 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Everything comes to the PC eventually!

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Where can I read about this stuff?

9 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Where can I read about this stuff?

I've picked up bits and pieces of it here and there but apparently there's a book "The Race for a New Game Machine" from someone at IBM about their side of Cell development (and the Xbox 360 CPU that used every Cell invention IBM they could legally get away with because Sony had screwed them around so much).

4 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Blimey.  You're a proper negative nancy aren't you. 

Edit: Sorry Sarlacc, didnt' realise poinitng out you were being a constant sourpuss would be enough for tears. :lol:

Just talking about games dude. Didn’t wanna derail the thread replying to a personal jibe. 

Sorry if I’m not as enamoured with your favourite company’s latest video as you are but I’m not the only one am I?

10 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Just talking about games dude. Didn’t wanna derail the thread replying to a personal jibe. 

Sorry if I’m not as enamoured with your favourite company’s latest video as you are but I’m not the only one am I?

No worries. I just thought I'd try to point out that it looks like you're constantly taking a shit on anthing xbox. Like. constantly over a fairly long period of time.   Bit wierd.

Also. Nintendo is my favourite company. You should try it, might cheer you up man