Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

3 hours ago, CarloOos said:

To use a slightly laboured example, isn't this a bit like saying why are Apple bothering to bring out a new iPhone when the last one still runs everything on the app store?

But Apple still try their best to make people want to buy the new phone, showing off features with big pomp and ceremony that only the new model can do. 

MS want us to buy the new console and they want us to get gamepass. IMO they only did one of those things last night and until you don’t need an Xbox to get gamepass, they still need to be doing both. 

1 minute ago, Sarlaccfood said:

But Apple still try their best to make people want to buy the new phone, showing off features with big pomp and ceremony that only the new model can do. 

MS want us to buy the new console and they want us to get gamepass. IMO they only did one of those things last night and until you don’t need an Xbox to get gamepass, they still need to be doing both. 

Yeah, I agree with that. It wasn't the Series X showcase I had expected.

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

I reckon they must surely be accounting for some of this happening, in terms of sales expectations for Series X. Pro owners probably wondering the same thing about the PS5.

Nope. The PS5 games look legit great (Spidey Miles Morales at 4k60 for example), worth getting a PS5 at launch for. The series X is said to be value for money in terms of Game pass, but you can already get that and almost all the games (including Halo Infinite) on game pass with a One X. 

I have a One X. Why on earth should I consider spending a single penny on the Series X? I suppose uber-fans of Forza will feel it's worth it, but the rest of the games that are series X only right now look ... 

200.gif.3f43b4e72111e6513f98290c186f8c94.gif

17 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

It felt a bit like Apple announcing that the iPhone 12 is the most powerful phone they've ever made and then expecting you to be impressed when they show you it can play polyphonic ringtones.

26 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

No worries. I just thought I'd try to point out that it looks like you're constantly taking a shit on anthing xbox. Like. constantly over a fairly long period of time.   Bit wierd.

Also. Nintendo is my favourite company. You should try it, might cheer you up man

Haha pretty sure I was lumped in with the NDF at one point so I’m good there.

I think MS haven’t been great this gen but I enjoy talking about why I think that is as (sad as it may sound) discussing the game industry and it’s various companies strategy with you guys is my hobby and I enjoy it. Especially at this point of a generation and with them all trying different things. 

My mood doesn’t really have anything to do with it. 

42 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I've picked up bits and pieces of it here and there but apparently there's a book "The Race for a New Game Machine" from someone at IBM about their side of Cell development (and the Xbox 360 CPU that used every Cell invention IBM they could legally get away with because Sony had screwed them around so much).

https://venturebeat.com/2009/02/06/the-race-for-a-new-game-machine-book-chronicles-the-sony-microsoft-ibm-love-triangle/

I think I'll have to try sourcing the book.  Sounds absolutely fascinating

2 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Haha pretty sure I was lumped in with the NDF at one point so I’m good there.

I think MS haven’t been great this gen but I enjoy talking about why I think that is as (sad as it may sound) discussing the game industry and it’s various companies strategy with you guys is my hobby and I enjoy it. Especially this time of a generation and with them all trying different things. 

My mood doesn’t really have anything to do with it. 

Fair enough dude.  :)  I think I'll step away from the keyboard and try to complete Zelda BOTW (still stuck on the last boss for months).  Yes. I suck.

1 minute ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I think MS haven’t been great this gen but I enjoy talking about why I think that is as (sad as it may sound) discussing the game industry and it’s various companies strategy with you guys is my hobby and I enjoy it. Especially this time of a generation and with them all trying different things.

They've been fucking appalling this gen. The original XB1 was an unequivocal failure. Even on the One X, only Gears 5 is a genuinely great game. Just one game, that's all they've had this whole generation. 

One great game. 

I’ve still played 90% of my time on Xbox Scorpio  as the x plat games looked better , gamepass and my friends from the beginning of Xbox  and all the best exclusives and dare I say the best games on PS4. That lacklustre showing with merely nods to series X has made me think about keeping my Scorpio and getting a PS5 (even though it looks fucking woeful) where at least aI know I’ll be getting pixel bang for my buck and bang for my £1 on Xbox.

50 minutes ago, Thor said:

They've been fucking appalling this gen. The original XB1 was an unequivocal failure. Even on the One X, only Gears 5 is a genuinely great game. Just one game, that's all they've had this whole generation. 

One great game. 

You mean exclusive, right. Given game pass is full of fucking fantastic third party games.

I'd argue that exclusives are less and less important every generation but then somebody will pop in to tell me how the last of us 2 changed their life or something.

22 minutes ago, Isaac said:

You mean exclusive, right. Given game pass is full of fucking fantastic third party games.

I'd argue that exclusives are less and less important every generation but then somebody will pop in to tell me how the last of us 2 changed their life or something.

Well it depends on what you mean by less important - looking at the sales figures for Sony PS4 first party games and Nintendo Switch I’d argue they are not only important but instrumental in selling the platform - I also can think of only very few third party games, if any, that can match the best of these exclusives, but I suppose that’s more subjective. And in terms of intrusive and more aggressive monetisation, that’s much less prevalent in exclusives too. 

56 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Yes to your first paragraph. In your second paragraph you're just being a tool. ;)

44 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Well it depends on what you mean by less important - looking at the sales figures for Sony PS4 first party games and Nintendo Switch I’d argue they are not only important but instrumental in selling the platform - I also can think of only very few third party games, if any, that can match the best of these exclusives, but I suppose that’s more subjective. And in terms of intrusive and more aggressive monetisation, that’s much less prevalent in exclusives too. 

They may well be hard to match, but the sales are mostly eclipsed by third party titles. It's something that fanboys crow about, for sure, but as far as I know, the best sellers have been 3rd party games for years now, and last year was no different:

Xbox usa 2019 best sellers (npd)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019

Madden NFL 20

NBA 2K20

Borderlands 3

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Tom Clancy’s The Division 2

Mortal Kombat 11

Anthem

Red Dead Redemption II

Grand Theft Auto V

Ps4 usa 2019 best sellers (npd)

NBA 2K20

Madden NFL 20

Mortal Kombat 11

Borderlands 3

Kingdom Hearts III

Days Gone

MLB 19: The Show

https://www.google.com/amp/s/venturebeat.com/2020/01/16/20-best-selling-games-of-2019/amp/

I think you're probably right that exclusive titles help position a system or shape perception of it, and obviously sales are such now that lower charting games can still bring in millions of $£€ but when it comes down to it, Call of Duty is still the king when it comes to sales and the top ten isn't really much different between Xbox and Playstation. I guess it could be one of those situations where the fanboys are lured in by the exclusives and they’re able to influence the mainstream about which is the best box to put under the TV and obviously Nintendo have their own thing going on, but I'm not sure exclusives are as important to people who don't tweet and post about games to strangers on the Internet. 

...on the other hand Microsoft did buy a lot of studios recently, so it must be important, or they wouldn't have bothered.

...I don't know.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

One great game. 

Forza Horizon 3 and 4 are better than anything Sony have put out this gen.

fite me

20 minutes ago, layten said:

Forza Horizon 3 and 4 are better than anything Sony have put out this gen.

fite me

Which are best on PC so to me they're PC games hehehehe - which will be the same case that by the time the series x is even out 3080/3080 TI's will be released and lol at 12TF (And by the next time Horizon is out you know you will have a 25TF 40WTF Tie or something)

Next!

The Series X has nothing weird in it that will stop it having insane ball busting graphics - it just won't be right away. 

The thing is much more casual gamers play titles like COD and the sports franchises so the sales totals aren't really reflective of platform choice, they will be bought on mass and played on whatever people have and the lion's share of the profit will go to those publishers. Exclusives important as they are one of the things that can sway decisions at a platform choice level and more directly effect the commercial success. Objectively Playstation's showing on that front this gen has been far far superior to the Xbox line-up and their install base numbers reflect that...

2019 total installed base

PS4: 112.6 million units

Xbox 360: 100.6 million units

Xbox One: 46.8 million units

https://www.statista.com/statistics/697187/installed-base-of-sony-and-microsoft-game-consoles/

I'm not saying it's the only factor as the market is more complicated than that, but looking at those numbers you can't ignore it being a potentially big one. Especially as other levers like brand loyalty, being where your friends are, raw performance, etc... were actually all stacked in Microsoft's favour after the success of the 360. Anyway, Microsoft certainly seem to think it's a big one having gone on their huge and expensive acquisition spree to improve their original content, and in a couple of years I think they'll be much stronger for it.

13 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Unless you wire your PC up to an OLED, they look best on console.

12 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Connected to a 55 LG C9 with G sync and until recently a 2080 TI. 

Next!

8-)

8 hours ago, Thor said:

They've been fucking appalling this gen. The original XB1 was an unequivocal failure.

Even on the One X, only Gears 5 is a genuinely great game. Just one game, that's all they've had this whole generation. One great game. 

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes to your first paragraph. In your second paragraph you're just being a tool. ;)

6 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

They may well be hard to match, but the sales are mostly eclipsed by third party titles. It's something that fanboys crow about, for sure, but as far as I know, the best sellers have been 3rd party games for years now, and last year was no different:

Xbox usa 2019 best sellers (npd)

Madden NFL 20

NBA 2K20

Borderlands 3

Mortal Kombat 11

Anthem

Red Dead Redemption II

Grand Theft Auto V

Ps4 usa 2019 best sellers (npd)

NBA 2K20

Madden NFL 20

Mortal Kombat 11

Borderlands 3

Kingdom Hearts III

Days Gone

MLB 19: The Show

https://www.google.com/amp/s/venturebeat.com/2020/01/16/20-best-selling-games-of-2019/amp/

I think you're probably right that exclusive titles help position a system or shape perception of it, and obviously sales are such now that lower charting games can still bring in millions of $£€ but when it comes down to it, Call of Duty is still the king when it comes to sales and the top ten isn't really much different between Xbox and Playstation. I guess it could be one of those situations where the fanboys are lured in by the exclusives and they’re able to influence the mainstream about which is the best box to put under the TV and obviously Nintendo have their own thing going on, but I'm not sure exclusives are as important to people who don't tweet and post about games to strangers on the Internet. 

...on the other hand Microsoft did buy a lot of studios recently, so it must be important, or they wouldn't have bothered.

...I don't know.

Third party titles are important sure as there is no way a platform holder can produce enough games to fully support it on their own as they receive license fees for all software sold, even Nintendo needs third parties. But are we saying that Sony has sold almost three times as many PS4s as Xbox’s just because of fanboys? They need the platform to be successful in order to attract third parties, gain exclusive content etc, and one of the ways they do that is by making exclusive content of their own you can’t get anywhere else. I mean how else would you explain Sony’s dominance this generation when they’ve been applauded for their output and Microsoft have been roundly criticised? 

6 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

The thing is much more casual gamers play titles like COD and the sports franchises so the sales totals aren't really reflective of platform choice, they will be bought on mass and played on whatever people have and the lion's share of the profit will go to those publishers. Exclusives important as they are one of the things that can sway decisions at a platform choice level and more directly effect the commercial success. Objectively Playstation's showing on that front this gen has been far far superior to the Xbox line-up and their install base numbers reflect that...

2019 total installed base

PS4: 112.6 million units

Xbox 360: 100.6 million units

Xbox One: 46.8 million units

https://www.statista.com/statistics/697187/installed-base-of-sony-and-microsoft-game-consoles/

I'm not saying it's the only factor as the market is more complicated than that, but looking at those numbers you can't ignore it being a potentially big one. Especially as other levers like brand loyalty, being where your friends are, raw performance, etc... were actually all stacked in Microsoft's favour after the success of the 360. Anyway, Microsoft certainly seem to think it's a big one having gone on their huge and expensive acquisition spree to improve their original content, and in a couple of years I think they'll be much stronger for it.

Microsoft stopped reporting their hardware numbers like 5 years ago. I don’t think anyone knows what their install base is except them.

This thread has certainly taken a turn.

21 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Third party titles are important sure as there is no way a platform holder can produce enough games to fully support it on their own as they receive license fees for all software sold, even Nintendo needs third parties. But are we saying that Sony has sold almost three times as many PS4s as Xbox’s just because of fanboys? They need the platform to be successful in order to attract third parties, gain exclusive content etc, and one of the ways they do that is by making exclusive content of their own you can’t get anywhere else. I mean how else would you explain Sony’s dominance this generation when they’ve been applauded for their output and Microsoft have been roundly criticised? 

Well, as I said,  I think you're probably right that the games help to positron a system and to shape the perception. It's part of the marketing. However,  I don't think they're becoming more important as you originally claim.  I think it's unlikely that accounting for all the moving parts we could come up with a simple,  bitesize answer as to why Sony have done so well this gen, but I think you can still trace a good chunk of it back to all the well documented events of this gen's launch. There are too many factors,  the games they put out are part of it,  but I don't think they're becoming more important with time, as you originally posit.