Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

3 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I'm under the impression that it will play current gen games at 4K just like the OneX. I guess we wait a little longer to find out.

My hope is that it can render a nice 1080p/1440p scene and scale it nicely for a 4K screen whilst being future proof for the new Series X only games. If it can then MS might get a new Gamepass customer :)

14 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

AFAIK, they haven't said when the Series X version will be released,  but I don't think it's at the same time as the X1 version.

More fuel for the consoles are releasing too early. 

I know the patch is a while away yet. As for the consoles releasing early if they don't come out this year they risk coming out in the middle of the Great Depression II.

15 hours ago, bear said:

So here are my thoughts on the conference thingy, presented in a scattered list because that'll make them seem important. 

-PC gamers were the biggest winners. It isn't that long ago that Microsofts PC offerings were a total joke, now they have a very strong looking lineup for PC gamers going forward and you get it all through Gamepass if you want or Steam if you want to support Gabes knife collection. Thats just nice. 

Will Xbox first party games come out simultaneously on Steam with Xbox store versions?

Why has 4k/60fps become such a big marketing thing for Xbox? Is that something a lot of people care about? I have a 4k TV and really don't think 4K is much of a big deal. HDR is definitely something I notice with lights, fire, neon etc, but 4k res isn't something that has impressed me at all, if I even notice it.

13 minutes ago, simms said:

Will Xbox first party games come out simultaneously on Steam with Xbox store versions?

It looks like that it going to be the case going forward. I think Minecraft Dungeons is the only thing they have released this year that wasn't on Steam day one. 

27 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Why has 4k/60fps become such a big marketing thing for Xbox? Is that something a lot of people care about? I have a 4k TV and really don't think 4K is much of a big deal. HDR is definitely something I notice with lights, fire, neon etc, but 4k res isn't something that has impressed me at all, if I even notice it.

60fps is something that’s an easy sell in motion.

4k, I’m less sure. There are certain types of content that really benefit from it: football, tennis.

48 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

We need a new poll!

I still have a 1080 set so I can't comment, but after moving to PC gaming for a bit I think that 60fps would be a much more meaningful pitch - if enough people see it in motion. (E: as @footle mentioned)

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

:lol:

I have thought the same. I wonder if they've revised hardware sales projections? 

Perhaps not the direction you were expecting but Sony have reportedly doubled their production of PS5s.

I suppose the rationale is that video games are rather more resistant to recession, especially when a lot of people will be wanting to stay indoors, catch up with friends remotely and aren't looking to go on holiday. An Xbox with Game Pass is a pretty economical approach to escapism, really.

2 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Perhaps not the direction you were expecting but Sony have reportedly doubled their production of PS5s.

I suppose the rationale is that video games are rather more resistant to recession, especially when a lot of people will be wanting to stay indoors, catch up with friends remotely and aren't looking to go on holiday. An Xbox with Game Pass is a pretty economical approach to escapism, really.

im sitting here wondering whether I break my self imposed “do not use digital payments on Sony” ban to download GoT (a game I’m not really interested in at all) for a few hours of prettiness, for example. Maybe I’ll see if amazon still do digital credit.

4 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

Oh sorry, I should refrain from posting as I'm heading to bed. I saw you arguing against "less important" and then processed that as "he's saying they're more important!" Half asleep, apols.

Ha, I was just getting up at that time, like ships in the night ;)

11 minutes ago, footle said:

im sitting here wondering whether I break my self imposed “do not use digital payments on Sony” ban to download GoT (a game I’m not really interested in at all) for a few hours of prettiness, for example. Maybe I’ll see if amazon still do digital credit.

Use CDkeys.com - £50 for £43.99

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I think it's insecurity stemming from how thoroughly mocked they were during the 1080p/900p days, they still have a massive chip on their shoulder. Ever since they announced that Halo 5 would be 1080/60 they've always seemed to prioritise resolution and frame rate over everything else.

Personally I think they've taken the wrong thing away from that debacle, people latched onto the 1080p/900p thing because it was an easy demonstration that the more expensive console was considerably less powerful than its competitor, not because it was a magic number that meant anything. Given the choice I'm sure most people would choose a denser, more detailed image over an arbitrary pixel count. Nobody is going be boasting about the XSX running at native 4k/60 if Sony's games actually look better at 1440p.

17 minutes ago, footle said:

I'd suggest using ShopTo instead. You can save around 15% on digital purchases by getting credit through them, plus they'll let you checkout using your Amazon account.

I agree I think the 60fps and HDR are the things that make the bigger difference. But if you are talking about general messaging to the mass market the whole 4K thing is something a lot of non/less technical people know as a phrase and is also what the TV companies are using to sell people their latest tech. I can see why MS are using it so people know they are going to get the latest 'thing'.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Everything Sony showed was 30fps. 

3 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I'd suggest checking out ShopTo instead. You can save around 15% on digital purchases by getting credit through them, plus they'll let you checkout using your Amazon account.

Wow that's even better, forget what I said.

45 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

We need a new poll!

I still have a 1080 set so I can't comment, but after moving to PC gaming for a bit I think that 60fps would be a much more meaningful pitch - if enough people see it in motion. (E: as @footle mentioned)

I think the problem with 60fps is that it's harder to market, you can't see it in a static shot and though I think YouTube have supported it for a while, I don’t think it was anywhere near as prevalent as 30fps up to now, which means (as everyone knows) that you spend all your graphics budget on framerate and nobody gives you credit for it, and just thinks that your game doesn't look as good as it should. Hopefully, that's changing.  

I will say that since I got my 4k tv, I didn't think 4k made much difference but now when I play Apex Legends (a 1080p only game), when I'm on the pregame screen the character models genuinely remind me of old coin op arcade games, nice looking but sort of fuzzy, yet really defined all at once, if you know what I mean. I don't think I'm particularly aware of it in game.

I think if I had chosen to play everything in 1080p, I wouldn't even notice on the occasions that I did encounter a 4k image, but going the other way feels tangible, at least some of the time. 

18 minutes ago, AI1 said:

Wow that's even better, forget what I said.

£55 for £47 something, so not much better (and because I've previously bought from them, I can't use my amazon account, but can use paypal). But *shrug*.

Here's hoping it's pretty enough to get me through the bleak afternoon!

6 hours ago, CarloOos said:

I think it's insecurity stemming from how thoroughly mocked they were during the 1080p/900p days, they still have a massive chip on their shoulder. Ever since they announced that Halo 5 would be 1080/60 they've always seemed to prioritise resolution and frame rate over everything else.

Personally I think they've taken the wrong thing away from that debacle, people latched onto the 1080p/900p thing because it was an easy demonstration that the more expensive console was considerably less powerful than its competitor, not because it was a magic number that meant anything. Given the choice I'm sure most people would choose a denser, more detailed image over an arbitrary pixel count. Nobody is going be boasting about the XSX running at native 4k/60 if Sony's games actually look better at 1440p.

Microsoft releases console that can’t quite do the good resolution and gets in trouble. Microsoft makes new console that can do the new resolution and insists every game does the new resolution and gets in trouble. Oh Microsoft.

A9E1E07C-8632-4A83-96A8-241E20EB9871.jpeg.ef99b1fb4d38af69824e12798859016f.jpeg

7 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Everything Sony showed was 30fps. 

Mostly but not all. Gran turismo was 60fps and spiderman MM and demon souls have 60fps options. The stream was 30fps 

If the cloud streaming works well (I've tried Stadia and Shadow and to my surprise, both are very good), I'm not sure I really need a Series X. At the moment my Xbox is only used for exclusives, so let's say I don't upgrade, I can just stream everything. Some stuff won't be as good as playing locally but there will be a lot that will. And Halo Infinite for example will (maybe) run better on a stream than on my vanilla Xbox One (which seems to struggle with most new stuff these days). 

Have they announced that Cloud will be on yet? PC and Android are obvious, but will it support Mac and iOS? I'd assume so. 

I think that this was really a mistimed Xbox event first and foremost, where Xbox means basically a store like the App Store. I wouldn’t be surprised if the actual Series X price and launch date announcement with a recap of the BC etc will also be stuffed with Series X specific footage about ray tracing and SSDs and whatever to sell us on that specific bit of hardware, and I for one am ready to be hyped.

16 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

As someone who owns a ps4 Pro and xbox one x, there was absolutely zero reason for me to jump in feet first to either new console at launch or really any time soon afterwards. What an absolute shit show from both of them. 

Is it, though? I've been thinking more about this. We haven't had a Pro/X before, kinda doubling your oomph mid gen. Unless you're a "buy a new iPhone every year" sort, of escutcheon obviously there are many, then I imagine they expect those who shelled out $400 in the last couple of years won't bother. And I think that's very reasonable. 

But I last spent $400 in 2015, and this is a significant upgrade for me (and others). Even if they're $600, they're twice the oomph of the X/Pro that so many found a reasonable buy. So, with an XSX, I get your Pro/X plus more. 

Again, really glad I didn't have the time for an X, kinda cemented my thinking that mid gen speed boosts aren't worth it, for me anyway. 

That we've had the mid gen bump means that the launch titles would need to be pushing the machines to stand out, and that's never occurred on a new gen that I remember. Again, was always like a new PC... same game, higher res and framerate. If we hadn't had the Pro/X, 4k@60 would be looking pretty damn good right now. Like it does for me, an OG XB1 owner. 

Edit - I don't want to hear any replies about obscure mid gen boosts, like 32X. Or 45 different variations of the DS.