Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

4 hours ago, MattKB said:

If the cloud streaming works well (I've tried Stadia and Shadow and to my surprise, both are very good), I'm not sure I really need a Series X. At the moment my Xbox is only used for exclusives, so let's say I don't upgrade, I can just stream everything. Some stuff won't be as good as playing locally but there will be a lot that will. And Halo Infinite for example will (maybe) run better on a stream than on my vanilla Xbox One (which seems to struggle with most new stuff these days). 

Have they announced that Cloud will be on yet? PC and Android are obvious, but will it support Mac and iOS? I'd assume so. 

All the evidence points to Series X being a requirement to play anything rated for Series X, at least in the short term - Microsoft have yet to upgrade their data centre infrastructure beyond One S capability. So if you want to stream Halo Infinite with maximum shinies you’ll need the new hardware. 

47 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Is it, though? I've been thinking more about this. We haven't had a Pro/X before, kinda doubling your oomph mid gen. Unless you're a "buy a new iPhone every year" sort, of escutcheon obviously there are many, then I imagine they expect those who shelled out $400 in the last couple of years won't bother. And I think that's very reasonable. 

Bravo sir on your use of the word escutcheon!

5 minutes ago, Purin said:

3 months ago I never though the Series X launch would be developing into a mess even worse than the Xbox One launch. Fucking hell this is going disastrously.

How is it disastrous?

To me it's great as has more launch titles than PS5 and most of them will come at no extra cost if you have Gamepass.

It's exactly the same drama we get at each new console launch, I'm amazed people haven't learned to look beyond it yet.

It's pretty simple, The hardware is really nicely designed and the best on the market and you can enjoy the vast majority of the games at launch day one thanks to GP. There's going to be some amazing variety going forward too since these studios look to have creative freedom unlike the competition.

5 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

How is it disastrous?

To me it's great as has more launch titles than PS5 and most of them will come at no extra cost if you have Gamepass.

We don’t know the full launch line up of either console, nor the quality of any of them, or how many of them will appear on Gamepass straight away. Apart from Halo we haven’t even seen any gameplay and even that was on PC. 

21 hours ago, Stanley said:

I did notice that quite a few titles had Series X and PC only labels, so perhaps the transition won’t be as long as expected, if that’s the case they need to be careful with their messaging. 

They were almost exclusively in the partner section of the show, we know it’s only first party titles that have to have cross gen support.

3 hours ago, Purin said:

3 months ago I never though the Series X launch would be developing into a mess even worse than the Xbox One launch. Fucking hell this is going disastrously.

How in the hell is it "going disastrously"? This is in no way comparable to the Xbox One TV, TV, TV/always online/Kinect debacle.

I will agree that Halo looks a bit shit graphically and that there was a lack of actual gameplay on show but at least MS appear committed to games now (as opposed to the start of last gen) with a number of game announcements from the show from their new studios.

The hyperbole from some is just unbelievable. 

How is it going badly?

Well, the PR is going horrifically if websites are posting articles like "We should talk about how Halo Infinite looks" and "Microsoft still hasn't made the case for Xbox Series X" after the event which SHOULD be making us feel super excited at this point.

Halo is a flagship for bad graphics now, according to jokes I keep hearing about it. Not a flagship for the Series X,

e2a: Anecdotal, but my teenage boy (Xbox gamer from birth) just said "We should get a PS5 this time" after seeing both showcases.

30 minutes ago, Jashin said:

Yeah, it wasn’t so bad, GP is a great service and the Series X will be a great console. At least the event might give people pause for thought regarding Phil Spencer’s pandering PR bullshit though.

Or hero worship of any corporate executives. I always find it creepy and weird; be it Phil Spencer, Reggie Fils-Amie or Kazuo Hirai.

7 minutes ago, Purin said:

How is it going badly?

Well, the PR is going horrifically if websites are posting articles like "We should talk about how Halo Infinite looks" and "Microsoft still hasn't made the case for Xbox Series X" after the event which SHOULD be making us feel super excited at this point.

Halo is a flagship for bad graphics now, according to jokes I keep hearing about it. Not a flagship for the Series X,

They have definitely had some issues but at this point in the Xboxones launch cycle:

-They'd announced the console would be $100 more than the PS4 despite being weaker

-They were desperately backtracking on their used game and digital distribution messaging

-They had announced 360 games wouldn't work on the Xboxone

-They'd had to apologize for the tone deaf "yeah take it" demonstration of Killer Instinct at E3

-The only Halo they had announced was a TV show

-The head of Xbox had announced he was jumping ship to go run Zynga

That's horific. 

There’s no denying that the wind’s been taken out of their sails a little after that showcase. Their messaging was pretty on point and generally being praised up to now but it seems a bit confused and harder to pin down all of a sudden.

In the age of the meme it’s really not a good look for your brand when your flagship title that’s supposed to embody the very best of what your platform has to offer is being ridiculed across the internet. They really needed to make a convincing pitch for their platform that would sway PS4 owners and I don’t really think they managed it for a lot of people if the general impressions that I’m picking up on are anything to go by. Momentum and general brand perception really matter at the start of a generation, as the current one so clearly showed, so I’d be a little concerned with the generally lukewarm response to what was promised as being a mic-drop moment that would illustrate the Series X difference.

I think they’ll be fine though as they have great hardware, a much better platform for upcoming software support and a tempting proposition in Game Pass, but if I had to put money on it at this very early stage I suspect that Sony will retain their pretty hefty lead in terms of hardware sales this generation. I’m not convinced that Microsoft have turned it around quite as much as their supporters were hoping for, at least to my eyes. Long way to go though and we haven’t even seen pricing yet so who knows.

It’s nowhere near the unprecedented clusterfuck that was the Xbox One though. I was a 360-only owner fully ready to transition to their next offering but in the space of about 45 horrific minutes they sent me running straight into the arms of Sony. The most egregiously misjudged corporate fuck up I think I’ve ever seen. I can still see Don Mattrick’s gap-toothed grimace in my nightmares.

The counter argument to that, of course, is that there is a common thread to Sony's major studio output now. And it's cinematic, narrative-heavy, third person open world games. Assassin's Creed + Hordes = Days Gone. Assassin's Creed + short health bars = Ghost of Tsushima. Assassin's Creed + web swinging = Spider-Man. Assassin's Creed + bow and robots = Horizon Zero Dawn.

It's overly reductive, but there's undeniably a common thread through a lot of their output.

Of course, you can go digging through and find Astrobot, Gravity Rush etc. There's Bloodborne and Driveclub and Gran Turismo. But there's a theme in the titles people would tend to mention about this gen. Of course, also a lot of those titles were new IP, which I think gets overlooked in the days of being on like Assassin's Creed 20 or something, but they've used very familiar templates to bring those IPs to market.

Sony and Microsoft's apparent fear of showing too much of their hands too early has definitely hurt the level of hype surrounding each console but I fully expect that to change once they have their August events. 

An increasing number of the gaming journalists/commentators I follow seem to believe that Microsoft will drop the need for Xbox Live Gold if you want to pay online. If that is  happening then I think it will be announced at their August event. 

They also need to clear up just what Lockhart is and how it'll be priced. If it's priced aggressively enough that they can offer people a two-year subscription to a Lockhart console +Gamepass for $20-25 a month then I think that'll tempt a lot of people. 

I’m now thinking that how they frame Lockhart will affect the message. I reckon a good strategy would be to call it the Series X Mini. If it’s a digital only, 1080p machine at £300, or £20-25 a month subscription including GP Ultimate, it will be a very tantalising proposition. 

56 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Yes, there's a weird trend where people come in moaning about Microsoft having variety, get given a list of genres including RTSes, flight simulators, RPGs and all sorts, and then go "oh well I don't care about those genres, I meant variety in settings for thirdperson action games with auto-climbing"

I'm not arguing that Microsoft games don't have variety, strange that you think I was - I'm arguing that most of them aren't much good. I don't really care what genre Microsoft tackle as long as the games blow my socks off and, other than driving games, there's been a real paucity of Xbox games that do that this gen. 

33 minutes ago, Flanders said:

I think Sony in many ways have benefitted this gen from the fact that most of their PS3 era IP was quite weak relative to the Microsoft big three. It made it a much easier decision to jettison the likes of Killzone and Infamous and allow their first parties to work on more interesting projects.

I wouldn't disagree with that.

It's easy to get drawn into extreme views on console launches (as always), but despite a few justified criticisms along the way I'm really pretty excited about getting some new hardware under my TV on the whole. Like @TehStu I'm rocking OG Xbox and PS4 so the jump up should feel pretty decent. I can totally see why mid-gen customers may not be so excited, but ultimately the new consoles are more powerful but it'll take devs a while to get to grips on how to leverage that power (just like every other generation) and really show it off.

I get the disappointment, but if you aren't convinced by the new stuff yet and have an X/Pro then it's pretty simple, just don't buy the new ones for now. Both companies are making the push to say you can play across the generation (in my opinion exactly because they have that mid-gen customer base now) so you won't really miss out on anything. And then once/if you do feel your machine is somehow lagging a bit in the future you can upgrade then.

It's a bit of a rock and hard place for both companies though in fairness... they could either show you an underused but powerful machine and get criticised that it hasn't blown their previous Pro consoles out of the water immediately, of they could have shown an absolute monster performance leap and would probably still get a load of criticism that they have somehow taken advantage of their mid-gen customers be selling them a £400 doorstop a couple of years ago.

Ultimately both consoles present a solid platform for developers to push themselves to make some brilliant new games over the next few years, cross-play is becoming more common so buyers can have more flexibility about where they are and who they play with, Microsoft are investing in services like GamePass/xCloud and giving gamers a new high-value model to enjoy, Sony and Nintendo are making a habit of knocking out really high quality IP, Switch has created a whole separate console market that can seemingly exist very profitably alongside the 'big 2', things like VR are set to kick on again to create another branch of experience, and at the end of the day the price of gaming still hasn't gone up that much if you look back 20 odd years and more than ever now you can sort of choose to do a hardware leap on your terms.

It's all pretty positive from a gamer's point of view if you step back from it. :D