Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

50 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

GamePass/xCloud app on PS5... everyone wins*

*Highly unlikely

That'd be amazing, if only the PS5 looked like the Series X. I know it's really superficial, but I honestly don't want that monstrosity in my house. All my AV equipment is out on display, so I've got nowhere to hide it. I hope I can hold out for the inevitable redesign.

19 minutes ago, JPL said:

That'd be amazing, if only the PS5 looked like the Series X. I know it's really superficial, but I honestly don't want that monstrosity in my house. All my AV equipment is out on display, so I've got nowhere to hide it. I hope I can hold out for the inevitable redesign.

I agree. I don't think the Series X looks particularly special but it's clean and simple, the PS5 is hideous. Luckily I do have doors on my TV bench to hide the thing behind though.

2 hours ago, Uzi said:

This has always been the case and Gamepass is finally helping realise MS's vision (from Gate's originally) of getting (their software) into the living room which got the OG xbox off the ground. The hardware has always been the trojan horse to do it.

Thing is - they competed like a normal console manufacturer for so long but gamepass is finally the escape route back the original vision of delivering a service/software - not necessarily hardware and then software to feed the success of that hardware in a closed eco system. 

Here is an example - lets so hypothetically Series X sales are not that impressive and people take that as thinking "Xbox/MS" are failing the generation already.

Look at this;

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/surface

It would be like saying well Surfaces don't sell that well in comparison to Macbooks so MS is failing. MS are just big enough to make hardware for Windows - but they are a Windows company. Xbox don't want to be a console company - they want to be a Netflix in delivering content as far reaching as possible in the same way Windows/Office is not tied to MS Surface devices in their success. Surface devices are just a nice way to use windows software.

It's why as long as I have a PC - I will never buy an xbox but it does't matter because I have 3 years of gamepass and will continue to use it. I just see Series S/X etc as MS's Surface of the console world - it is nowhere near their main focus. They'll keep making hardware as a showcase of what their software can run on and for ease of consumers but they genuinely don't care about the success of the hardware in the same way Sony or Nintendo will.

Or in short, Xbox is already dead, long live Gamepass, that’s now their platform, 

There are some weird, 90s hangups about this company still, despite a whole spectrum of small to large scale anti competitive behavior from *gestures at big tech*. I didn't quote the post because it's not worth shitting up the thread with playground stuff, but this observation easily extends to other threads across this forum, and beyond. 

4 minutes ago, TehStu said:

The Google Stadia folks are probably sweating. 

Google fucked up because they think they could swoop in and present the end game ("don't worry about hardware") without securing a foothold first as a serious gaming platform whereas MS have and are playing the long game where hardware is still very relevant.

I don't think it comes down to an end goal or "this is the future, that isn't". Choice is the future. MS want your money for a gaming subscription service, so to maximise that they need to provide as many ways to play as reasonably possible so console, PC, streaming etc. 

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Oh good we're back to streaming is the future again.

Not while data caps exist for most of the US. If we stop getting Xbox hardware, which I doubt, I'll just get a PC. They show no signs of binning the Surface division. 

On 22/07/2020 at 18:38, teddymeow said:

Just an hour of Phil Spencer on a loop saying:

"Just you wait, just you wait!"?

On 22/07/2020 at 21:56, wretcherd said:

In next gen you can be a new fan,

In next gen you can be a new fan...

Screenshot_20200727-171656_YouTube.jpg

The pilot is going to be Chief's right-hand man.

Series x is a platform with what a 7/8 year lifespan? If MS thought streaming was anywhere near ready they wouldn’t have invested millions in a new box . As it is clearly streaming will supplement gaming ,  but MS don’t expect it to replace a box under your telly for a while yet . 

Even if streaming does take off, they'll still need to build a standardised thing to put on racks in the data centre that games will run on. Hard to imagine there won't still be a market to put one of those in a box for the home user. It could still stream to all your receivers a la Remote Play. "Xbox Home Game Server".

59 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Is there any evidence that gamers actually want streaming?

Stadia? Onlive? Errrrrrr I guess Shadow is doing okay but right now it’s too niche. Xcloud will become big but will take a long time to grow and the Xbox will need to be the Trojan horse as you’ll casually use it when away from your console and slowly get used to gaming via it.

13 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Easy Prediction:

Western civilisation will be irreversibly fucked before streaming overtakes the traditional console.

Although arguably it’s not western civilisation that is the main market for game streaming anyway. 

46 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Easy Prediction:

Western civilisation will be irreversibly fucked before streaming overtakes the traditional console.

well yes, December isn’t that far away.

33 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Does anyone actually think MS are trying to make streaming overtake consoles rather than just have it as another way to play? 

At this moment in time I think they’re just trying to kill Stadia, although Google appears to be doing a good job of that all on their own. 

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

they'll still need to build a standardised thing to put on racks in the data centre that games will run on.

so, the xcloud server blade that exists and is in data centres?

or, that they would need to replace the xbox S hardware currently in them with xsx hardware, which they are apparently planning to do. https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/18/21295326/microsoft-project-xcloud-xbox-series-x-servers-hardware-2021

Microsoft just see streaming as part of the equation. ‘Just buy our stuff wherever it is’. However they NEED to make enough standout gaming products to drive enough people into the ecosystem. Spencer gets this, hence the studio acquisitions,  and that’s why they need to have a riposte to the first qualityparty Sony stuff. Having the leader in a service means you have to have core must have gaming  titles to play as an effective storefront. 

6 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

so, the xcloud server blade that exists and is in data centres?

or, that they would need to replace the xbox S hardware currently in them with xsx hardware, which they are apparently planning to do. https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/18/21295326/microsoft-project-xcloud-xbox-series-x-servers-hardware-2021

Exactly. There will always be a need for some console-like hardware, which makes consoles not a completely implausible product even if 90% of games are played on streaming. Even if it becomes a console derived from a server blade rather than the other way around.

2 hours ago, Super Craig said:

Is there any evidence that gamers actually want streaming?

Probably doesn't matter, they'll take what they're given.

Gamers say they want to own games too but physical media has been a myth for a decade now.

On 26/07/2020 at 19:30, FiveFootNinja said:

Asobo could be a good fit for MS actually. Aren't they doing the latest Flight Simulator for them?

Yep that’s why I stuck them on there. MS have made pretty shrewd choices to date with the studios they’ve bought, mid tier/nascent devs with lots of potential or devs lacking in abundant funding but who consistently deliver. Undead Labs are a bit of a mystery to me though, does anyone really play State Of Decay?