IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

Sorry about derailing the thread, but I think the point I was trying to make is that Sony are trying to sell something they can’t demo and that might play into Microsoft’s hands. Either way they both need to start getting info out. 

Despite sounding like a misery guts I’m sure I’ll get at least one of them at launch. 

36 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

I agree with you, in that I think the haptics will be a big nothing. I do a lot of my gaming with headphones plugged into the controller, so I hope that 3D Audio actually works, but I am sceptical at the moment. 

Why are you sceptical about 3D/Spatial audio? It's been on Xbox for the last three plus years in various forms and works really well (Dolby Atmos, Windows Sonic and DTS) It's not a new thing at all.

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

I'm not sure if that supports or goes against? I think VR is fairly self explanatory and the benefits easily understood. I expect a number of people to say they can't hear the difference when it comes to 3d audio. Sony may have redefined what's possible with a pair of headphones, and I have to say I'd love to see (hear?) that happen, but I expect some will be quite disappointed.

People are totally right to be sceptical, and I wonder how noticeable it will be as well. I'm not saying that this will live up to the expectations like PSVR (for me, at least) did - I just think that with Sony's past attitude to "public experience" they're either pretty confident or they don't care and expect people to open their wallets. (I won't be picking up either console on launch, so someone else can take the hit... ;)

46 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

As an owner of PSVR, they're still not wrong. That trademarked PSVR shimmer is crippling and some might also say that having to use Move controllers renders it unplayable before it's even been switched on. It's so sad that some of the best experiences are locked to the worst hardware.

Fair. :) I haven't had too much trouble with the games once I've set everything up (definitely not to the extent of the GB stuff), but that doesn't stop the thing from being an abomination in terms of all of the plastic and cables and boxes and extra expense of controllers.

4 minutes ago, Revival said:

Why are you sceptical about 3D/Spatial audio? It's been on Xbox for the last three plus years in various forms and works really well (Dolby Atmos, Windows Sonic and DTS) It's not a new thing at all.

I’m sure. The problem is that it’s a feature that requires you to wear headphones: and we’re all old.

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

are you just saying that because the xbox doesn't have it?

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Must be. No other possible reason.

I'll be buying both the series X and ps5 at launch, so console war fanboy bullshit doesn't interest me. I just think it's a weird thing to market. They should be showing the games, the price, not the fact the controller vibrates a bit differently. 

53 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

As an owner of PSVR, they're still not wrong. That trademarked PSVR shimmer is crippling and some might also say that having to use Move controllers renders it unplayable before it's even been switched on. It's so sad that some of the best experiences are locked to the worst hardware.

Have you had a go on a Vive or Oculus? I was quite disappointed with the ghosting thanks to the Fresnel lenses. I'd basically sold myself on VR thanks to sampling a PSVR, however, with PC hardware it wasn't anywhere near my expectations. Especially considering the price.

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

People are totally right to be sceptical, and I wonder how noticeable it will be as well. I'm not saying that this will live up to the expectations like PSVR (for me, at least) did - I just think that with Sony's past attitude to "public experience" they're either pretty confident or they don't care and expect people to open their wallets. (I won't be picking up either console on launch, so someone else can take the hit... ;)

Fair. :) I haven't had too much trouble with the games once I've set everything up (definitely not to the extent of the GB stuff), but that doesn't stop the thing from being an abomination in terms of all of the plastic and cables and boxes and extra expense of controllers.

I really think the PSVR2 has the potential to be really special. They nailed the ergonomics first time round, now they've hopefully built a console around the idea of VR and can do away with the breakout box and make some VR specific controllers. It's probably the only exciting thing about next gen at the moment and it's all hypothetical. I cannot wait to see that thing.

1 hour ago, footle said:

I’m sure. The problem is that it’s a feature that requires you to wear headphones: and we’re all old.

It doesn't require headphones. Loved using Atmos on the few Xbox games that utilised it. Probably not very sociable if you live with someone not into the idea of listening to you play games though.

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

Have you had a go on a Vive or Oculus? I was quite disappointed with the ghosting thanks to the Fresnel lenses. I'd basically sold myself on VR thanks to sampling a PSVR, however, with PC hardware it wasn't anywhere near my expectations. Especially considering the price.

I bought the first consumer release of the Rift that came with the Xbox pad, Lucky's Tale and a donation to alt-right shit posting. I sort of liked it but didn't really use it that much. I think it maybe launched a generation too early as I was using an I5 and a 970 to run the games and it was ok but there wasn't really anything good enough to warrant the occasional headaches. I had frame rate issues and the god rays on that early headset are very noticeable but newer games seem designed to minimise that. Recently got a new CPU and it's a night and day difference in how the VR feels, even on that creaky old headset. Have loved getting into Half Life and Assetto Corsa Competizione.

Like I mentioned, I personally think most of the best games are on PSVR and browsing the Oculus store it doesn't look like that's going to change.

13 hours ago, bumgut said:

Where’s the day one new experiences with either of these consoles?

this hype about  demons souls, it’s an old game with possible quality of life changes.  That’s not good enough of a day one purchase.  It’s all old stuff really.

This whole generation has just been visual updates of last gen games. I’m guessing we’re just getting that again. 

17 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

It doesn't require headphones. Loved using Atmos on the few Xbox games that utilised it. Probably not very sociable if you live with someone not into the idea of listening to you play games though.

I have a reasonable soundbar. But my living room setup doesn’t lend itself to fitting a 5.1, 7.1 or atmos setup (probably like 90% of the country) so object based audio is going to remain a headphone thing. And most of the time, unless it’s really astonishing, I’m not going to bother.

i have tried a couple of the Xbox atmos games and meh.

(and I have a rift, so do know what positional audio can do, up until the rift headphone break happens...)

44 minutes ago, footle said:

I have a reasonable soundbar

I gather that you can get atmos soundbars which fire sound up, I'm interested to hear one, but I'm skeptical that anything can replace a load of speakers positioned around you. 

I can't be bothered to do that (run lots of cables and position stands everywhere), which is why I'm half interested in a soundbar, but I can't believe it'll be that good. 

One thing that's weird about this, is that because the sound processing is just done in software, it'll be just another competing standard / will be equivalent to something else that is indistinguishably different. Whatever "3d audio" is doing won't be a unique experience available only on one console. Seems a funny thing to put a lot of marketing behind. Unless they think they'll make a fortune on selling PS branded headphones. 

That’s kind of why it’s a big deal now. Both consoles have enough dedicated audio processing hardware (embarrassingly more compared to the previous generation) that real time 3D audio through headphones and a stereo TV/sound bar should be routinely implemented by developers.

By analogy, Dolby Digital and Pro Logic didn’t become routine until the Xbox and GameCube, respectively, were manufactured with built-in multichannel audio support. But once it was there in the console, it was rare of a game to lack support for it.

4 hours ago, Revival said:

I just haven’t experienced it yet so am holding judgment until I can have a go for myself. Haven’t tried the Xbox ones. Headphones is my standard way of playing so if it gives a great spatial audio experience that way I will be over the moon. 

8 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

I just haven’t experienced it yet so am holding judgment until I can have a go for myself. Haven’t tried the Xbox ones. Headphones is my standard way of playing so if it gives a great spatial audio experience that way I will be over the moon. 

You can download a trial of the Atmos and DTS:X apps on Xbox, if you'd like to try them out. Both are slightly different, but a significant improvement on the default sound profile with headphones. DTS:X is slightly more spacious and maybe better for directional positioning, footsteps and gunfire and so on, but perhaps a bit artificial. Atmos sounds more natural and cohesive to me. I seldom play on the XB without headphones now. 

17 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

What headphones do you use? I'm keen to get a really decent set with the series x but every one I've bought so far i always find very heavy and uncomfortable after an hour

15 minutes ago, Muz said:

What headphones do you use? I'm keen to get a really decent set with the series x but every one I've bought so far i always find very heavy and uncomfortable after an hour

Wearing glasses means I’m always really uncomfortable wearing big headphones. 

34 minutes ago, Muz said:

I'm interrupting here but depending on your sound preferences and budget and what else you'd use them for, I'd recommend the Sennheiser 598. They don't need a separate amplifier, anything can drive them. They're very light and comfortable (which is why they came to mind) and they sound very good for the price. They're open back, which means they'll leak sound and they're won't have the same bassist impact as they closed headphones, but they will have significantly more air and soundstage than closed headphones. No mic, either, because they're just stereo headphones, not intended for gaming. I miss mine. 

1 hour ago, Marlew said:

I'm interrupting here but depending on your sound preferences and budget and what else you'd use them for, I'd recommend the Sennheiser 598. They don't need a separate amplifier, anything can drive them. They're very light and comfortable (which is why they came to mind) and they sound very good for the price. They're open back, which means they'll leak sound and they're won't have the same bassist impact as they closed headphones, but they will have significantly more air and soundstage than closed headphones. No mic, either, because they're just stereo headphones, not intended for gaming. I miss mine. 

Sounds ideal though i mainly play socially with a few mates so would need a mic/gaming headset. 

I saw the ads for the b&o headphones... I'm assuming i won't be able to afford them though would save to spend on them/a premium set of they are worth it. I've realised a proper headset for me is an investment worth making now 

2 hours ago, Muz said:

I recommend everyone skips buying a gaming headset and get a good pair of headphones that have a socket on them for a cable.  I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum wireless headphones that I use(d) for commuting. If you buy a cable with integrated mic, you will have better sound than I imagine any headset offers and you can still talk to people. And if you're not gaming you can take them out and about without a cable. I definitely wouldn't buy a headset now.

1 hour ago, Chooch said:

Wearing glasses means I’m always really uncomfortable wearing big headphones. 

Despite saying the above, Turtle Beach have headsets which are "glasses friendly", I assume that means they have some sort of channel in the earpad for the glasses' arms. I Haven’t tried them myself. 

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

I recommend everyone skips buying a gaming headset and get a good pair of headphones that have a socket on them for a cable.  I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum wireless headphones that I use(d) for commuting. If you buy a cable with integrated mic, you will have better sound than I imagine any headset offers and you can still talk to people. And if you're not gaming you can take them out and about without a cable. I definitely wouldn't buy a headset now.

Despite saying the above, Turtle Beach have headsets which are "glasses friendly", I assume that means they have some sort of channel in the earpad for the glasses' arms. I Haven’t tried them myself. 

Do they offer the same functionality as a headset in terms of party chat etc?

59 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Sorry not “party chat” per se but stuff like separate controls for volume between chat and game sounds, mute button etc.

That's what the chat adapter does.  I much prefer that to the controls that any headset provides.  

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Sorry not “party chat” per se but stuff like separate controls for volume between chat and game sounds, mute button etc.

No, the controls don't do anything. I use the kind of block that @rafaqat mentions, you can connect direct to the pad and use software controls built into the guide, but it's not very quick to get to and change settings with. 

6 hours ago, Muz said:

Just my noise cancelling Bose Quietcomfort 25s that I’ve had for a few years. They’re comfy enough and the sound quality is good enough for me. I can wear glasses with them but they still encapsulate the ears fully. I don’t think the mic works in game (it’s effectively for iPhone) but that’s not a factor for me.