IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

At this stage it’s not even people getting territorial about consoles. Nobody’s arguing about specs or games that I’ve really seen. It’s people getting in to bickering matches about each other’s supposed bias about those things, completely free of an actual conversations about the subjects themselves.

I’ve held my hands up. I shouldn’t have tagged broker, no matter how light hearted it was meant.

MS and Sony just need to give us some more info now. As Stu says, launch date, games and price please.

10 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’ve held my hands up. I shouldn’t have tagged broker, no matter how light hearted it was meant.

MS and Sony just need to give us some more info now. As Stu says, launch date, games and price please.

You have before tagged me in loads of stuff, feeling like you're goading and stirring up conflict. 

It's really, really annoying. I'd suggest being a bit more considerate before doing so. 

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

At this stage it’s not even people getting territorial about consoles. Nobody’s arguing about specs or games that I’ve really seen. It’s people getting in to bickering matches about each other’s supposed bias about those things, completely free of an actual conversations about the subjects themselves.

you're saying we're bickering about the things we'll bicker about, once we know what to bicker about?

It's basically just "your vacuous hole of assumption and hearsay is definitely deeper, darker and has less games than my vacuous hole of assumption and hearsay". :quote:

How anyone can get caught up enough to send a death threat about anything to do with gaming is actually insane.

On 24/08/2020 at 14:04, Pug said:

Yeah, it's this unbranded one. Well they didn't have the model aimed at Sony WMs when I bought mine so I had to whittle a little plastic off the mic end jack. But the one I've linked I presume is perfect.

Very good quality, braided so hard wearing. Never had probs with not being heard. It's worth the £20 IMO.

Oh yeah, it comes with two foam mic covers that come off quite easy. I just used a glue dot to permanently attach it.

Massive thanks on this. Ordered the boom pros from amazon and now I'm using my sony wh-1000xm3's as my gaming headset! 

I've just had the misfortune to read the PS5 topic, The amount of FUD and sheer incorrect 'assumptions' about this launch is incredible. It reads like a bunch of people trying to justify a purchase while having zero clue about what's actually coming elsewhere.

If you're going to talk about something do the decent thing and educate yourself first instead of spreading bad information. There's some fifty titles coming in this launch window. There's not going to be a shortage of things to play.

There's going to be exclusives, remasters, Games running at 120fps, A large selection of day one Game Pass titles. I'm looking forward to trying The Falconeer, Ascent and seeing if there's an enhanced version of Hot Pursuit if the date of Nov 13 is true.

Guys please stop spreading so much shite in other topics. It helps no one.

Good for you, I was looking forward to Halo and Flight Sim in order to justify buying a Series X at launch, and after Halo being delayed indefinitely I’d have settled for Flight Sim but there’s no clear indication when that’s coming either - I’d also really appreciate it if they’d show some games running on the new hardware just to give us a sense what it’s capable of and to whet our appetite. 

From memory, I don't think Flight Simulator was ever touted as coming anytime near release of the console, was it? I'm sure Asobo said they were concentrating on the PC release before they even though about the Series X version. It'll be a while off. 

I have to say (as someone that will buy one anyway) that MS are blowing this launch. With the bone they misread the market - with this one they seem frozen - - scared stiff of presenting anything that could be considered anti-consumer. To the point they are hobbling their new console.   

There Is NO hype. No exclusive games worthy of mention. No demonstrable power difference between this gen and the next. And No desire to let people know why they should upgrade. 

Maybe this is progressive and precisely what the market needs. But fuck me it’s unexciting....

I'm set on buying an XsX and before Microsoft started doing its livestreams I was far more excited about the XsX than the PS5. But they've completely killed any excitement people might have had. You'd think they would want to build hype, instead they had the grand total of one big system seller to unveil, which looked bad for a lastgen game, and got subsequently delayed. I'm still in of course, but as bad as Sony is doing at least they still have Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, and Ratchet shortly after. I *know* the XsX will be my favoured place to play multiplatforms, that it will have the most comfortable controller, it will have game pass, and the best BC - but at the moment Microsoft is not doing well in marketing any of that or generating any hype.

That’s because Microsoft are not treating this like traditional console launches. This isn’t a brand new Xbox with a whole new eco system and games. This is like next years pc or iPhone models. It’ll be future proof to an extent and it’ll do everything your current machine does but better. But it won’t be a whole new experience and Microsoft really don’t care about that now, it’s just another way for you play Xbox games.

I know after launch people will talk about how Sony won by selling more or the top ten charts having more PlayStation titles in it but ultimately it won’t matter as Microsoft are going in a different direction, much like Nintendo do their own thing. Their metrics will be money coming in or subscribers, not how many machines they can sell at a loss and they’ll be going for the long game rather than the short one.

That means yeah, it will be a boring console launch and little reason to upgrade if you have a one x but Microsoft don’t care as that’s not their aim.

They could still put the bare minimum effort in to generate even a little excitement. I mean, sure I get that they're mainly selling a subscription now. But are they really making the XsX just for show? They don't want to sell anything? Is the Xbox right now not the best way to sell people on game pass? They made the most powerful console ever just for shits and giggles? Are early adopters not the most effective market to go for at the start of a generation and subsequently sell them on game pass? Does it not benefit them to convince people to buy an XsX instead of a PS5 - if only because afaik you can't get game pass on PS5? 

I think ultimately they only care about getting one type of gamer, those who don’t own an Xbox or game on a pc. Maybe they’re holding back some stuff for just before launch or maybe they know they can’t compete with what ps5 will offer considering all their games must also run on a base Xbox one. Either way they probably have less interest in getting Xbox gamers as they already have them.

The new console probably is just to keep up marketing appearances as if they just went to app only they’d have the Stadia problem in that either we are not ready to stream games as our main gaming device or the majority of core Xbox gamers would never game that way, where as more casual gamers might?

Either way you’re right they could be doing more to create excitement but maybe they know that holding that stuff back to closer to launch is better than 3 months out when we will all Forget about the exciting stuff they already mentioned. Wait and see I guess. 

29 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

From memory, I don't think Flight Simulator was ever touted as coming anytime near release of the console, was it? I'm sure Asobo said they were concentrating on the PC release before they even though about the Series X version. It'll be a while off. 

Yeah it’s totally my fault for thinking it was a launch game or simultaneously released on Xbox. Seems like a missed opportunity though. 

I was on the fence between a Series X and a PS5, but thanks to Amazon offloading refurbished One Xs for £180 I now have no reason to get another Microsoft console anytime soon, especially when it's launching with no games.

Not that the PS5 lineup is much better mind you. Can't see much reason to buy either until next year at least.

It's the most underwhelming console launch build up I can remember and none of the others were exactly that whelming to start with anyway, Both companies feeel like they should delay it, but won't. And don't get me started on this ridiculous game of details chicken they're both playing.

I wonder how much of it is just us being old farts that are used to our long marketing cycles based on print media and trade shows that were aimed at brick and mortar shop orders?

The zeitgeist moves so fast nowadays that health departments are having trouble reminding young people covid even exists. Things come and go so fast on social media timelines I wonder how much of the final  marketing is being held back so it doesn’t become old news by the time the launch comes along?

The PS5 pad reveal was the most shared gaming post ever or something and it was all everyone was talking about...for a day. Now it’s old hat. It wouldn’t surprise me if we get an insta post of Craig holding up a sign with the Series X price and “pre-order now” 2 weeks before launch and boom the hype goes nuts and the initial shipment is sold out. Job done.

54 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

That’s because Microsoft are not treating this like traditional console launches. This isn’t a brand new Xbox with a whole new eco system and games. This is like next years pc or iPhone models.

Apple's plan with the iPhone is precisely to get you to upgrade to the new model. That is why everyone, everywhere always knows about whatever iterative features the NEW iPhone offers. They definitely don't want people staying put too long. Which is becoming more and more of a problem for them.

Maybe MS know precisely what they are doing with this launch - but it certainly doesn't appear that way. Nobody in the company seemed to see the Halo Infinite thing coming - hence the U turn on release. And I imagine the scars are deep from the Mattrick's Bone announcement - and everyone is panicking internally despite trying to take on board their customers feedback.. 

I wouldn't be surprised if MS are the ones to delay, not Sony. As they seem wholly unprepared for this launch. Which is as shambolic, as it is staggering.

Yeah the iPhone comparison really doesn’t work in that way. Aside from the fact it always feels like there’s a tonne of hype and coverage when a new iPhone comes out, it just reminds you that MS, like Apple, still need people to actually buy their hardware to use IOS and Gamepass. 

Whenever I hear that MS will be just fine because they want subscribers rather than sales, I remember that I couldn't give a hoot about their financial operations - I just want to know what games they've got for me. I'll be getting the XSX because it seems overwhelmingly likely that third party games will run better there once again, but from a software perspective, MS are offering me very little at launch. Unless Demon's Souls is a launch title, I'd say the same for Sony, though. 

Microsoft’s approach seems markedly different from Apple’s in many respects, but the Alan Kay quote “People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware.” seems prescient here - MS, to me, just seem to be concentrating on too many hardware platforms all at once and spreading themselves too thinly. If you want the best games make the best console and then design them around that, not Xbox One, not PC. 

I mean what the fuck do I know, but apologists piping up about what great value Gamepass is doesn’t wash with me. Give us games that rival the best Nintendo and Sony have to offer. 

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I mean what the fuck do I know, but apologists piping up about what great value Gamepass is doesn’t wash with me. Give us games that rival the best Nintendo and Sony have to offer. 

Flight Sim. Actually next generation (and you know it).

doesn’t help the console argument, though I have spent the morning speccing up a new pc. (Which, in itself, shows how boring I’m finding the console talk, even though the equivalent price of a Series X is something ridiculous).