IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

1 hour ago, Trumpets said:

I was on the fence between a Series X and a PS5, but thanks to Amazon offloading refurbished One Xs for £180 I now have no reason to get another Microsoft console anytime soon, especially when it's launching with no games.

Kicking myself a bit for not jumping on one of these when it was available for exactly as you describe. They are out of stock and priced at £299 now when they do come back in.

My plan now is to hold to see what the Series S has to offer, then make the call between that and a One X I think (as I'm sure you'll get them at that price again once the Series X is out).

The One X will get you 18 to 24 months of Xbox exclusives, the Series S will get you a whole new generation. I was disappointed to not get one if the Cyberpunk One X consoles when they were around but deliberately ignored the refurb One X. It’s too close to the Series X launch now and too late in the generation if you’re thinking of jumping in around launch. Alternatively, if you’re happy to hold off for that year and a half or so, and buy a ‘Series’ console then, the One X, seems a decent plan.

Flight sim wise, I presume it won’t be playable on Xbox One, so there’s that no Series exclusives thing again giving an indication of timelines.

On the whole Sony vs Microsoft thing, IMO they’ve both been pretty poor so far with their showings, and lack of info, but I’m looking forward to a proper smorgasbord of info, discussion and hype in the coming months. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I mean what the fuck do I know, but apologists piping up about what great value Gamepass is doesn’t wash with me. Give us games that rival the best Nintendo and Sony have to offer. 

MS Studios are now making more games than ever before. In August alone there's been four first party titles that have all reviewed well. And the entire Game Pass releases over that month total about £350 so the value proposition is not in doubt.

Egp7MTuXYAAUTrZ?format=jpg&name=large

5 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Lol that’s the worse spreadsheet literally nothing interesting. Done be weird.  Who the f is up for battletoads

Lol, thats the worst post, literally nothing interesting...

I mean, its not like people have been waiting literally years for a new flight sim...or that wasteland is doing very well all-round...heck...those two games are a years cost of ultimate....

39 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Lol that’s the worse spreadsheet literally nothing interesting. Done be weird.  Who the f is up for battletoads

Tuesday: Crusader Kings 3.

and between that, (tell me why, a little bit less so), flight simulator and wasteland 3 (yeah there’s a PS4 release if you want to pay $60 for it) I think you’ve covered four entire categories of games you don’t really get on anything other than PC or Xbox. And certainly won’t going forwards given Microsoft’s basically bought all the western RPG makers who aren’t being mismanaged into a hole by EA.

doesn’t work so well in favour of the Series X, but still...

1 hour ago, Revival said:

MS Studios are now making more games than ever before. In August alone there's been four first party titles that have all reviewed well. And the entire Game Pass releases over that month total about £350 so the value proposition is not in doubt.

Egp7MTuXYAAUTrZ?format=jpg&name=large

I never said it was, I said I was fed up of it being used as an excuse in lieu of real big hitters - the only title on that list which could even remotely be considered as such is Flight Sim, and it’s a PC exclusive anyway. That list is literally an advert for why you don’t need a Series X. 

To be fair, there are some really great games on that list. Wasteland 3 is bloody fantastic. But what @Revival seems to miss is that people are saying Microsoft needs more than that get people excited. It's a perfect list to keep you happy in the Xbox ecosystems if you're already there. But to get people excited about a console launch you need a few show stoppers too. Sony pumps those out all the time, and yet Microsoft seems incapable of producing something that grabs the attention like a TLOU2 or Spider-Man or God of War. Regardless of what you personally think about those games, they're incredibly impressive and really show what a console can do. It's all well and good that Microsoft proudly unveiled the most powerful console of the two, but subsequently it showed Halo Infinite. They need to impress people, not just with a spec sheet but with an actual goddamn visual powerhouse of a game. The people want spectacle! Show them the power!

Maybe Fable 4, sometime in uhm 2023? 24? There's not even a bloody Forza and they used to pump those out yearly, what happened?

On the first-party game stuff, I think you’re all being a bit unfair on Phil Spencer. After all he had to inherit the portfolio left behind by the General Manager of Microsoft Studios, from the previous regime, when he became Head of the Xbox division.

2 hours ago, Harsin said:

On the first-party game stuff, I think you’re all being a bit unfair on Phil Spencer. After all he had to inherit the portfolio left behind by the General Manager of Microsoft Studios, from the previous regime, when he became Head of the Xbox division.

:lol:

10 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

That list looks about as exciting as the the launch line up for the N-CAGE. 

Maybe even less so. 

Must be fucking awful having no taste in games whatsoever. Well the good thing is it changes each month so no matter how much of a miserable cunt you are there's always something different. Of course for those fucking weirdo's who only concern themselves with AAA hand holding gameplay devoid shite then you might have to wait as there seems to be a focus on creative games and concepts for people who actually enjoy videogames.

9 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

To be fair, there are some really great games on that list. Wasteland 3 is bloody fantastic. But what @Revival seems to miss is that people are saying Microsoft needs more than that get people excited.

I'm neither missing that or saying this is a line up for the Series X. I simply don't agree with the dated thirty year old mantra that you need a 'show stopper' [hate this term] to sell a console in 2020. The forum obssession with them has created a generation of gamers who have no appreciation for anything else, Just look at the last page.

Things like Game Pass aren't devaluing games, It's idiots who can look through a list of games and call them shite because there's no Spiderman in there. Those people are devaluing games.

I'm genuinely ashamed to be a part of this forum.

6 minutes ago, Revival said:

Things like Game Pass aren't devaluing games, It's idiots who can look through a list of games and call them shite because there's no Spiderman in there. Those people are devaluing games.

Spider-Man is devaluing games? :unsure:

13 hours ago, Freeman said:

Alternatively, if you’re happy to hold off for that year and a half or so, and buy a ‘Series’ console then, the One X, seems a decent plan.

This was sort of the plan. I'll be getting a PS5 too so cross-platform new gen stuff is covered for now, the One X/Series S idea was just a way to replace an ageing and increasingly creaking launch Xbox One so I can play GP and their cross-gen exclusives for a year or two until the Series X is really bedded in and then I'll buy that.

10 minutes ago, Stanley said:

And no one said Game Pass is devaluing games either. 

Kevvy Metal says...

Which is all exactly why I have no interest in supporting a system like Game Pass, and I really hope Sony doesn't follow suit. Devaluing games to that extent just leads to other more insidious monetisation strategies. 

24 minutes ago, Revival said:

Must be fucking awful having no taste in games whatsoever. Well the good thing is it changes each month so no matter how much of a miserable cunt you are there's always something different. Of course for those fucking weirdo's who only concern themselves with AAA hand holding gameplay devoid shite then you might have to wait as there seems to be a focus on creative games and concepts for people who actually enjoy videogames.

I'm neither missing that or saying this is a line up for the Series X. I simply don't agree with the dated thirty year old mantra that you need a 'show stopper' [hate this term] to sell a console in 2020. The forum obssession with them has created a generation of gamers who have no appreciation for anything else, Just look at the last page.

I'm genuinely ashamed to be a part of this forum.

spacer.png

@Revival when was that? I mean you’re branding people “idiots” based on, I assume, their less than enthusiastic response to your list of Game Pass titles, now you’re dragging up posts from God knows when which no one is currently debating (the Gaas model, monetisation etc).

Well, if nothing else, this morning has revealed that rllmuk's influence is far greater than we'd ever imagined. Apparently we've created a generation of gamers who have no appreciation for anything other than 'show-stoppers'.

Maybe we should let Google index Off-Topic... we could reverse Brexit, deliver Scottish Independence and get rid of Trump, most likely before the year's out.