Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

Just now, RubberJohnny said:

I think a journalist who knew the leaker said it wasn't a controlled leak, it's not like S wasn't confirmed via leaks from a variety of sources for a while anyway.

The only thing that hasn't been leaked this gen has been the physical designs of the consoles.

Probably someone tried to leak the PS5 and nobody believed them.

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

Straight after Playstation said we're just doing some VR stuff this week, no nextgen

I dunno that showing up around a damp squib of a PS games event is all that helpful to them really. Compared to this leaking on the eve of the PS5 launch details (which would look quite prosaic in comparison) or something.

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

I dunno that showing up around a damp squib of a PS games event is all that helpful to them really. Compared to this leaking on the eve of the PS5 launch details (which would look quite prosaic in comparison) or something.

Eh, maybe you're right I'm just thinking out loud :D It's fun having some actual new and useful info from either of them to discuss though

If it is a leak, how do leaks like this happen? Surely it won’t be difficult to figure out where the info’s come from and I presume whoever it is will be NDA’d up to the eyeballs. Would it really be worth anyone’s time risking a multimillion dollar lawsuit just to tell a few people about the look and price of a new console? What would be in it for them?

1 minute ago, JPL said:

If it is a leak, how do leaks like this happen? Surely it won’t be difficult to figure out where the info’s come from and I presume whoever it is will be NDA’d up to the eyeballs. Would it really be worth anyone’s time risking a multimillion dollar lawsuit just to tell a few people about the look and price of a new console? What would be in it for them?

I mean in the last month we had a leak of a Sony ad campaign from the studio working on the ad, a leak about the controller from a guy who bold as brass said "it's OK, my company works with Sony on the controller" on twitter, under his real name.

People like leaks, others like being insiders with cool info, some just aren't very clever.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

I work in a business that suffers leaks semi-regularly and it's everything from disgruntled employees, to third party suppliers to just people chatting.

Didn't the worst leak on the S come from third party advertising?

It’s a consumer product, not nuclear launch codes. They only ever put so much effort in to keeping it secret and in the run up to an announcement or to an actual product release that information necessarily has to be disseminated to channels that are less and less secure. 

Just now, Pelekophoros said:

Didn't the worst leak on the S come from third party advertising?

the most obvious leak on the S came from them releasing a controller with it mentioned on in Chicago.

the worst leak in terms of blowing up a marketing schedule was probably the irish halo multiplayer thing.

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

So do MS, Sony, et al just forget about the NDA’s they make these people sign and leave them to it?

It probably isn’t worth the effort in pursuing a Walmart marketing submanager’s nosy nephew over a leaked video on the basis of a corporate NDA. The fall-out would be in the companies’ future relationship.

Unless you’re Apple. Apple are nuclear about this and the entire Apple leaks scene operates on their terms (and their mercy).

5 minutes ago, footle said:

the most obvious leak on the S came from them releasing a controller with it mentioned on in Chicago.

the worst leak in terms of blowing up a marketing schedule was probably the irish halo multiplayer thing.

The best non-gaming one is still the iPhone 4 that someone lost in a bar that Gizmodo did a full tear-down on before anyone even knew it existed.

After digesting this some more, I think that in reality, this is the next-gen Xbox and Series X is a smokescreen of sorts. If they’d come straight out in Jun with this, everyone would be up in arms about it not being 4K, no disc drive, small SSD, and not really next-gen. But instead, they come out of the gate with the Series X, which from a tech standpoint does everything the fans want. 

Now, the Series S is a cheap and attractive way to get everyone who doesn’t care about 4K onto Gamepass, without alienating those who want a properly powerful machine, because they can go get an X. I wonder what balance of manufacturing they’re doing, because at £249 this seems like a steal to me. 

And I’m really intrigued to see how Sony react, because all they’ve got to counter this with PS5 digital is that it can do a few more pixels? The SSD isn’t even that much bigger. I’m ignoring the actual games for now. 

I'm thinking the 'unplanned' reveal of this is very much planned and done to torpedo Sony's PSVR plans.

PSVR should be a great asset. But it's going to be hard for Sony to sing and dance about future PSVR support with the PS5 when a PSVR headset costs more than a next-gen Xbox.

1 minute ago, RubberJohnny said:

It's just announcing it formerly after it got leaked, that's been the standard tactic for leakers since MW3 got leaked back in like, 2011 or something - why's everyone now dropping weird online brain conspiracy theories about what has been the PR norm for coming up on a decade?

Boredom?

14 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

After digesting this some more, I think that in reality, this is the next-gen Xbox and Series X is a smokescreen of sorts. If they’d come straight out in Jun with this, everyone would be up in arms about it not being 4K, no disc drive, small SSD, and not really next-gen. But instead, they come out of the gate with the Series X, which from a tech standpoint does everything the fans want. 

Now, the Series S is a cheap and attractive way to get everyone who doesn’t care about 4K onto Gamepass, without alienating those who want a properly powerful machine, because they can go get an X. I wonder what balance of manufacturing they’re doing, because at £249 this seems like a steal to me. 

And I’m really intrigued to see how Sony react, because all they’ve got to counter this with PS5 digital is that it can do a few more pixels? The SSD isn’t even that much bigger. I’m ignoring the actual games for now. 

I think this is spot on. Microsoft couldn't for even a second let Sony control the narrative in terms of the PS5 being more powerful after what happened at the start of the current gen. Series S is Microsoft's main play for next gen but to reveal it first would have been a disaster. 

This way they've gotten to tout having the most powerful console moniker for months, which is true, while at the last minute sneaking in their real hope for making up lost ground at an attention grabbing price. Properly having their cake and eating it with their positioning. Shame they've not really been able to demonstrate the power of the Series X in any meaningful way but the way they've played this has been pretty clever. 

Sony will be fine. They've got the brand, they've got reach in Europe and Japan that MS could only dream of, they've got their first party. But Microsoft's attempt to sandwich them by taking both the high end and the low end is smart. Time will tell if the lack of first party games for a year or two will be the Achilles heel in the eyes of the consumer or if a £250 box that plays the next gen FIFA, COD and has GamePass will be enough.

2 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

It's just announcing it formerly after it got leaked, that's been the standard tactic for leakers since MW3 got leaked back in like, 2011 or something - why's everyone now dropping weird online brain conspiracy theories about what has been the PR norm for coming up on a decade?

To be fair, it was leaked twice before from Microsoft's own materials and they never said anything.