Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

14 minutes ago, Rev said:

None of my games are on an SSD. Extra loading times are better than having to download things again and again. A 3TB hard-drive is a much better option if you've not got amazing broadband. Exactly the same reason I have an external drive for the PS4.

I've got a 4tb SSD :x

6 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I have a 4k TV and an xbox one x.... 

I'm waiting to see what benefit there is on regular One games before I do anything. If shit needs a patch for it to be made shiner/60 fps then I'm not bothered. If there's a tangible boost out of the box (like there was with the X) then I'm very interested.

16 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Maybe it’s because most people aren’t money bags but also don’t have their settee a foot away from their telly :unsure:

12 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’m one of those people, but I sit 5m away because I’ve got a lovely big living room. According to that second graph I don’t get any benefit above 720p though, which is patently rubbish even with my ageing eyes.

Chairs and sofas can move! 

Its only after looking at the designs for each of the next-gen consoles, especially the S, that I realised just how much of the heat each machine has to deal with is coming from the GPU. The S and the X are supposed to have the same CPU but the X is more than twice the size of the S and a lot of that seems to be down to needing to cool the GPU. I know its got an optical disc drive as well but that obviously wouldn't explain the massive size difference.  

Makes me even more curious to see how Sony are cooling the PS5. That superfast GPU  clockspeed must generate loads of heat. 

I think that someone else (sorry, I forget who after reading 16 pages) was bang-on when they said that the Series S is the actual next gen Xbox pitch.

£249 is priced to fly off the shelves. This is Microsoft's pitch to the mainstream, the Series X is purely for the enthusiasts.

12 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I think that someone else (sorry, I forget who after reading 16 pages) was bang-on when they said that the Series S is the actual next gen Xbox pitch.

£249 is priced to fly off the shelves. This is Microsoft's pitch to the mainstream, the Series X is purely for the enthusiasts.

‘Twas me. The more and more I think about this it seems like a master stroke by Microsoft. That price is just insanely good for what they’re offering. 

16 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Agreed. They’ve got years of sales data on the S and X and I’m willing to bet it shows the S is always more popular. 

3 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

I work in a business that suffers leaks semi-regularly

Do you work for Thames Water?

3 hours ago, footle said:

irish halo

Is this like Irish coffee?  Because I love drunk gaming.

22 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

A feckin' Tuesday?

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

If Gamepass incentivises publishers to make lean PS2-style oddities I’m all for it.

This is very much where I am with games now. One so-called Triple A game a year is enough, frankly.  

15 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

‘Twas me. The more and more I think about this it seems like a master stroke by Microsoft. That price is just insanely good for what they’re offering. 

They played it pitch perfect too, a strong comeback after the Halo disaster. 

Just goes to show how important pricing is, most people will be more than happy with Series S. 

Snagged from twitter, just posted the screengrab so it shows it all:

image.thumb.png.b9120c603480d043a8080033f768c459.png

1440p on my 65" 4k OLED looks fucking great. I recently played GTA V at 1440p and a rock solid 60fps - it was fucking glorious. Now, it will be interesting to see if the Series S/X is easier to code for than the PS5. If that is the case, then the Series S may well be the primary dev platform from which the devs then port to other consoles. That really harmed Sony back in the PS3/360 days, and it's why the devs loved the PS4 over the XB1 this gen, could the next-gen see it swing all the way back to MS?

Additionally, I know there's talk of Series X exclusives, but I can absolutely see 90% or more of game developers saying "fuck that, series S is where the money is, we'll just bump to full 4k for the X version". That's all third-party support sewn up. The knock-on effect is that the Series X is now the elephant in the room - it literally has no games to call its own that will make the extra expenditure worthwhile. 

That’s me sold. 

Love the design. 
Love the price.

Love the idea of it going next to a PS5 (whenever I get one).

Like others have said, this console actually lines up with MS’ strategy of not really competing with Sony and instead doing their own thing. And now people like us don’t have to choose between the more traditional console model and the gamepass strategy.

Really like the design too. Especially if it’s as dinky as it sounds.

4 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

There isn't. If you're targeting the new gen, your game must run across that entire generation family.

Isn't there?

8 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Very nice! shame about the no disc drive, otherwise it would have been a mass seller

specs.jpg

Row 8. I have no idea on the source of that, like I said, "talk" of Series X exclusives. :)

Think of it like the PS4 and PS4 Pro if you must. There are no Pto exclusive games, but they look better on the Pro.

This is great the more I think about it. I've always argued here that 1440p, playing on PC, is the perfect sweet spot for visual quality/performance balance. Games don't look *that* much better at 4k over 1440p and the relatively big performance hit DEFINITELY isn't worth it. So for Microsoft to actually pick up on what PC gamers already know instead of blindly stumbling towards the 4k gimmick/spelling point like we all assumed both Sony and Microsoft would do, is a very welcome surprise.

No doubt the PS5 will do very well because of the brand but Nintendo and Microsoft are by far the smartest ones right now.