Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

10 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

£200 is a lot as part of the initial outlay, but with new releases costing £55-£65 on the digital store, you only really need to play through 4-5 one and done type games on disk and then trade in and you've recouped the difference. For example I'm playing the Avengers game at the moment. It's £60 on the store. I paid £45 for the disk and should be able to trade in and recoup £30-£35. That's 4 to 6 times cheaper than buying digitally.

You’re preaching to the choir, but I think £250 is an incredibly tempting entry price, especially when the next step up is £450. 

My gut feeling, prior to this announcement, was that Sony were lining up for £449 / £499 for the Digital / Disk PS5s. While they might have to be more bullish now, anyone expecting it to be below £300 is out of their mind. I’d be extremely surprised if it‘s below £399.

17 minutes ago, Ethers said:

Ah, understood. Thanks for the clarity. 

Seems a bit of a misstep for them not to allow normal external SSD’s. 

It needs a certain minimum level of performance/speed for it to be able to play games - next gen games are developed with the default internal SSD speeds in mind. And in both consoles they are very fancy indeed. So just any old SSD wouldn't work.

17 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

You wouldn't be able to just plug in any SSD though. Sony are going to have to maintain of approved SSDs that people can install to make sure there's a guaranteed level of performance.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It needs a certain minimum level of performance/speed for it to be able to play games - next gen games are developed with the default internal SSD speeds in mind. And in both consoles they are very fancy indeed. So just any old SSD wouldn't work.

That’s fair enough. 

I’m still on current gen thinking clearly, where I can whack almost any HDD in and it just works. 

13 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

My gut feeling, prior to this announcement, was that Sony were lining up for £449 / £499 for the Digital / Disk PS5s. While they might have to be more bullish now, anyone expecting it to be below £300 is out of their mind. I’d be extremely surprised if it‘s below £399.

There have been a few articles about the more customized hardware in the PS5 making it potentially more expensive to produce than the XsX. Whether that's strictly true or not, it does suggest that $499 / $399 for disc and digital PS5 respectively, would be a realistic low estimate. I'd be very happy and also very surprised if the digital - the one I'm going for - is below 399. Maaaaaybe 349 if they're willing to take a significant loss? I guess it depends on how worried they are about Microsoft. My guess is - not that much. In Japan and Europe Playstation rules everything around me*, the brand is very strong and I suspect still the default choice for a more casual audience even if Uncle Phil decided to give the S away for free. So I don't think they feel the need to go hard on pricing, whereas Microsoft - still recovering from the Mattrick disaster and with selling Game Pass subs as their main aim - did think it was necessary to price aggressively.

399 dollars for the PS5 digital, I expect. Taking out the disc drive just isn't that big a cost savings for them. But I would be very happy with a lower price of course.

*Wu-tang and PlayStation are both for the children

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I thought I just buying a Series X would get around the issue of no disc drive, but I’m starting to worry a bit about what the S will do to the second hand and trade in markets on Xbox. 

What’s the point of being able to sell your games if hardly anyone else can play them?

Another thing where I feel I’m out of touch. 

I have no interest in buying pre owned games for the simple reason I love having it all digital. 

That may be because I live in a tiny place, I just don’t have the room for a glorious stack of games. I don’t know. But I stopped buying physical versions of games about 18 months into owning an a Xbox One. 

56 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I'm just imagining all the clueless parents buying these digital consoles without a clue as to what that means and then finding that little Johnny can't find anywhere to insert that Fifa 21 disc on Xmas morning. 

The outrage will be heard in places like the Sun and the Mail etc, complete with pictures of sad Johnny holding the game disc with the evil "discless" console behind him. Can't wait!

Johnny is playing Fortnite like all the other kids mate. I suspect most kids whose parents aren’t gaming nerds haven’t seen a disc for years. All my kids friends play Fortnite, Minecraft and Roblox. They’re also way more likely to want to play the new hot thing on YouTube like Fall Guys or Among Us, which are almost always digital games. Free to play is massively important to kids and there’s no crossover there with discs. 

55 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

If £50 gets you access to blurays and the ability to play physical games on PS5, then a lot more people will go for that option. 

Blu-Rays are even more irrelevant than disc games. I don’t know anyone else in real life who owns any.

22 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

For example I'm playing the Avengers game at the moment. It's £60 on the store. I paid £45 for the disk and should be able to trade in and recoup £30-£35.

Trade it in where? At CEX you can’t trade it against new games, if you trade it at GAME they’ll offer you 40p.

3 minutes ago, Broker said:

Trade it in where? At CEX you can’t trade it against new games, if you trade it at GAME they’ll offer you 40p.

CEX. They offer good cash prices on the big new releases. You can even do it online, where they guarantee the price for 14 days and pay for the postage whilst saving you from going anywhere near one of their shops.

58 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I expect the internet to think the price of this storage is hilarious, and will compare it to the cheapest unbranded 5400rpm drive that can be found. 

It'll be interesting to see how big the game installs are. Whatever the case, people like me with a large external drive and hundreds of games installed on their Xbox One will at some point have to decide how many game installations are really needed. Tough times ahead. 

It slightly reframes the value proposition of the Series X vs S. 

The thing is, unless the SX is going to be 3TB or upwards (and given how fancy these drives are as I’ve just learned, that’s unlikely), most of us are going to need an external drive anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Broker said:

Blu-Rays are even more irrelevant than disc games. I don’t know anyone else in real life who owns any.

This. It's just old nerds like us that actually care about the image quality of blu-ray discs. Normal people just Netflix. It's not a factor at all I suspect

3 minutes ago, Ethers said:

The thing is, unless the SX is going to be 3TB or upwards (and given how fancy these drives are as I’ve just learned, that’s unlikely), most of us are going to need an external drive anyway. 

Xbox Series S = 512 GB

Xbox Series X = 1TB

PlayStation 5 = 825 GB

Unless we get some sort of HDD archive function, I suspect that folk with huge libraries are going to be inconvenienced quite a bit this gen.

Just now, Super Craig said:

Xbox Series S = 512 GB

Xbox Series X = 1TB

PlayStation 5 = 825 GB

Unless we get some sort of HDD archive function, I suspect that folk with huge libraries are going to be inconvenienced quite a bit this gen.

Are Sony taking the piss?

Just stick it on eBay when they have the max £1 fees offer (which is frequently now). Lesser known websites have such cheap preorders and prices in general that you frequently don’t even lose any money and sometimes even make a few quid. 

1 minute ago, Super Craig said:

Xbox Series S = 512 GB

Xbox Series X = 1TB

PlayStation 5 = 825 GB

Anything pre can be just played off your existing external HDD - which can be had cheap. So my plan is everything pre Series X will just live on the 1tb drive I use at the minute. (Granted its already full :))

You can easily sell discs on ebay, here, facebook marketplace, or drop them into CEX. Ghost of Tsushima has been out nearly 2 months and CEX will still give you £31 cash for it. Or you could buy it digitally for £60, beat it in a week and leave it sat on your dashboard doing fuck all but taking up precious hard drive space because discs are an inconvenience, whatever floats your boat.

This is why this £249 small harddrive /no disc box is ideal for gamepass because there's no loss of money on any digital games. There's enough people that still buy game discs and movies , to say otherwise is deluded. That's why they are offering a drive on the premium model. 

2 minutes ago, fattakin said:

Anything pre can be just played off your existing external HDD - which can be had cheap. So my plan is everything pre Series X will just live on the 1tb drive I use at the minute. (Granted its already full :))

Until it gets a next-gen upgrade at least.

6 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Xbox Series S = 512 GB

Xbox Series X = 1TB

PlayStation 5 = 825 GB

Did I read somewhere that the PS5 figure is what's actually available to the user and doesn't count whatever is held back for the system? So could that be 1TB with 175 kept back?

I'm still not really sure why a USB HDD couldn't be relatively seamlessly integrated. There would be a lengthy wait if you went to play a game that had been archived and it had to be copied back across to the SSD but that's still a lot more convenient than having to redownload the whole thing, and perhaps all the fancy quick start stuff introduced this gen could mean getting back in where you left off quite quickly - either the segment of the game that you're on remains on the SSD, or it gets prioritised and copied back across first. Plus games archived to your USB could still presumably be patched in the background, ready to go.

With a 512GB SSD on the XSX, it seems even more urgent than before that there are some clever software solutions to minimising the pain of juggling such a small amount of storage. The mainstream aren't going to spend 80% of the console's cost again on a fancy proprietary expansion drive.

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

I expect the internet to think the price of this storage is hilarious, and will compare it to the cheapest unbranded 5400rpm drive that can be found. 

It'll be interesting to see how big the game installs are. Whatever the case, people like me with a large external drive and hundreds of games installed on their Xbox One will at some point have to decide how many game installations are really needed. Tough times ahead. 

It slightly reframes the value proposition of the Series X vs S. 

There was also that dev twitter post suggesting that series S being limited to 1440p would mean smaller install sizes due to reduce asset sizes, and also smaller vs current games as some things end up duplicated to reduce load times. Perhaps not half (minus reserved bits) of course.

20 minutes ago, Ethers said:

Another thing where I feel I’m out of touch. 

I have no interest in buying pre owned games for the simple reason I love having it all digital. 

That may be because I live in a tiny place, I just don’t have the room for a glorious stack of games. I don’t know. But I stopped buying physical versions of games about 18 months into owning an a Xbox One. 

I almost exclusively buy physical copies of games where it's an option, and only have one disc in my house, because I sell them when I'm done with them. I end up paying around £10 to play the biggest releases at launch.

1 hour ago, Jg15 said:

I'm just imagining all the clueless parents buying these digital consoles without a clue as to what that means and then finding that little Johnny can't find anywhere to insert that Fifa 21 disc on Xmas morning. 

The outrage will be heard in places like the Sun and the Mail etc, complete with pictures of sad Johnny holding the game disc with the evil "discless" console behind him. Can't wait!

Not really... Kids get it. My son hasn't bought a disk for his Xbox. All his games are digital (ok granted its mainly Fortnite and Minecraft). From my experience they don't care about disks. It's the parents who are behind the times LOL. Set up the Xbox a bit before and preload all the games... happy self entitled child on Xmas day. Easy. 

7 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

You can easily sell discs on ebay, here, facebook marketplace, or drop them into CEX. Ghost of Tsushima has been out nearly 2 months and CEX will still give you £31 cash for it. Or you could buy it digitally for £60, beat it in a week and leave it sat on your dashboard doing fuck all but taking up precious hard drive space because discs are on an inconvenience, whatever floats your boat.

This is why this £249 small harddrive /no disc box is ideal for gamepass because there's no loss of money on any digital games. There's enough people that still buy game discs and movies , to say otherwise is deluded. That's why they are offering a drive on the premium model. 

Beat it in a week?! Maybe if you don't have a job (being mindful of the current situation with furlough of course), don't sleep and play the game entirely on easy (hard and lethal are where it's at for me). 

I loved it, platinum'ed it, but that was all my disposable videogame time for 8 weeks 

On PS4 now I can transfer games between the internal and external hard drive. Admittedly it takes an absolute age and you can’t do anything else while it’s happening, but it can be done. Don’t know about Xbox. 

I can’t see this not being a function of the new consoles. Archive anything you’re not playing to your external HDD and transfer anything you want to play to the SSD. Presumably you could play old-gen games straight from the HDD, or move them to the SSD for quicker loading. If it can be a background process then it should be seamless. Not sure about automating it though. 

1 minute ago, Freeman said:

There was also that dev twitter post suggesting that series S being limited to 1440p would mean smaller install sizes due to reduce asset sizes, and also smaller vs current games as some things end up duplicated to reduce load times. Perhaps not half (minus reserved bits) of course.

Good point, it'll be interesting to see how the install sizes differ, maybe the X drive should be considered as more similar to the S than the numbers suggest. 

Just now, Freeman said:

Question for those who may know: Would MS need to support 2 binaries when developers are submitting their game to the store? Or just one and installing the game would keep the 1440 files and throw away the 4k ones?

Basically, is that twitter post hypothetical, theoretical, or likely to happen?

1 minute ago, Gigawatt said:

On PS4 now I can transfer games between the internal and external hard drive. Admittedly it takes an absolute age and you can’t do anything else while it’s happening, but it can be done. Don’t know about Xbox. 

Same on Xbox, but you can do other things at the same time. 

Just now, hub2 said:

Question for those who may know: Would MS need to support 2 binaries when developers are submitting their game to the store? Or just one and installing the game would keep the 1440 files and throw away the 4k ones?

They already do it with Xbox One S and X. 

Just now, hub2 said:

This already happens on Xbox One. You don't download 4K textures on the One S, but do on the One X.