Xbox Series X | S

45 minutes ago, footle said:

It's from a screenshot of a how things work magazine that includes a "teardown" of a PS5 that uses a PS3 motherboard. It's not particularly good as a source.

The bigger problem is the twelve channel controller - which HAS been confirmed by Sony. Once you're using a particular number of channels you're locked into certain combinations of chips (which tend to be in multiples of 2 bits).

Then

Gives you

12 channel,512Gib Nand Chip / channel

512 x 12 = 6,144 Gib = 768 GiB = 824.633720832‬ GB = 825GB

It's not the case that there's another configuration that gives you 1TB, or that this can be usable space.

BBut that also means there's not an easy cut to 512GB that will sustain the same SSD performance. So the above £349 version  is unlikely.

The Pro has a shit CPU, and hasn't got hardware raytracing. The only example of software raytracing is Crysis, where it's running at sub-1080p (even on the more powerful Xbox1X).

It's not going to compete whatsoever.

The Tomorrow Children also had Raytracing, however that wasn't really my point. We all know 249.99 Series S is very good value and has hardware raytracing and an SSD that does more than just reduce loading times. However, my point, although poorly made was that to a casual consumer who the Series S is targeting the difference between the Pro and Series S is 1TB of HDD and the Pro has a disc drive... It's still a tough sell for the Pro though, we all like 'new' things no matter how well informed we are or not. 

5 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Have you heard the term fanboy before?

Yeah of course, and I’ve been called it a lot myself for preferring Xbox, but I’ve never been so constantly negative towards Sony. I can always see if there’s something good and I’ll acknowledge it. Being so negative is surely just cutting off your nose to spite your face. It doesn’t make any sense to me. As a gamer, I want as many top quality games as I can get and I’ll always go where they are.

1 hour ago, Don Rosco said:

I knew this thing looked familiar:

@Quest I reckon you know about this...I have one but the speakers broke. Just whacked it in to the line in, nice working from home music. 

I can't see the video right now, but is it a Buddha Machine? It was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the console. :lol: 

Just now, JPL said:

EA Play (I’m guessing this is now what they’re calling EA Access) being part of GamePass Ultimate is also an excellent move.

11 minutes ago, Ethers said:

I’ve put it in the SS thread, but EA Play is now included with GamePass Ultimate.  

Where is this from?

Seems they are doing the finance option in the UK as well -

You can get an Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S, plus 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, for £28.99 a month for 24 months or £20.99 a month for 24 months respectively, via Xbox All Access. In the UK this is exclusive to GAME and Smyths Toys, who act as the credit intermediaries.

That seems like a very good deal to me.

source

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-09-xbox-series-x-costs-gbp449-in-the-uk

Isn't GPU £11 a month?

So that's a tenner a month for 24 months = £240 for the S.

This is like one of those interest free credit deals where you'd be mad to pay upfront. Except in this case they're paying you to take the credit!

7 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Seems they are doing the finance option in the UK as well -

You can get an Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S, plus 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, for £28.99 a month for 24 months or £20.99 a month for 24 months respectively, via Xbox All Access. In the UK this is exclusive to GAME and Smyths Toys, who act as the credit intermediaries.

That seems like a very good deal to me.

That's very competitive.

For the Series S, that works out as a total of £503.76. The console is £249, so £254.76 for 24 months of game pass ultimate, or £10.62/mo.

For the Series X, that works out as a total of £695.76. The console is £449, so £246.76 for 24 months of game pass ultimate, or £10.28/mo.

The standard retail price for Game Pass Ultimate is £10.99, although you've been able to get it cheaper in various ways in the past.

Wonder how it works if you already have multiple years of Game Pass Ultimate stacked up.

4 minutes ago, hub2 said:

So pick up an Xbox on All Access for £21/£29  and get 100 games including the latest FIFA/Madden/Battlefield?

I think they might be on to a winner.

demos of the latest, and then the full titles about nine months later.

ea access is kind of ok, I guess. Certainly it’s fine for £20 or bundled with the games pass I’ve already paid for.

I wonder if people who buy the console outright will get any kind of decent game pass deal (more than one month)

The subscription payment deal seems to be the much better option. 

No money down, small monthly payments for 24 months and access to a large gaming library for 2 years, now including EA Play. This is going to be a no brainer for the masses. 

Does it really matter what the PS5 price is unless they can compete on these terms? The hardcore will be in whatever, but look beyond that and the PS5 could be a hard sell in comparison. 

5 minutes ago, hub2 said:

So pick up an Xbox on All Access for £21/£29  and get 100 games including the latest FIFA/Madden/Battlefield?

I think they might be on to a winner.

I absolutely don't want more than one console under my tv anymore, and even less so another fucking PC in whatever shape or form.

I'm not really a gamer anymore, so having had only the PS4 for a few years was perfectly fine.

But MS seems to be doing things right this time. Just a couple of exclusive that appeal to me and I may be seduced.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S