Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

What the hell are MS gonna call this thing?

Xbox 2?

Xbox Nexus?

Xbox Mix? 

They've got a horrible naming history, they paint themselves into so many corners they dont have any corners left. 

the might do an Apple and just go with XBOX. 

33 minutes ago, Treble said:

Here's my highly technical want list for the future:

Lightweight VR with no screen dooring > 60fps on all non-VR stuff > more arcade games in general > HDR on E V E R Y T H I N G  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4K

savegames syncing across consoles seamlessly.  none of this primary/non primary console sync/won't sync shit

2 hours ago, Philly said:

Xbox 2?

Xbox Nexus?

Xbox Mix? 

They've got a horrible naming history, they paint themselves into so many corners they dont have any corners left. 

-=XBoxXxkILL3r0Ne=-

With the next gen of consoles, the one thing they could do to improve the experience over frame rate, resolution, texture size, etc, would be to shift to using SSDs. The loading times in games like Prey, Dishonored 2, Destiny 2, etc feels weirdly archaic, and not quite in keeping with the current standard of having instant-on consoles that drop you straight into a game - it feels incongruous if I can turn on the console and pick up last night's game of GTA V within two seconds, but if I want to start a new game of GTA V, it'll take over two minutes to load. The length of the loading breaks in some games is a bit daunting if I've only got a limited amount of time to play.

Given the huge install sizes of games and the cost-to-storage ratio, unless you want to pay a few hundred pounds premium, never going to happen. And putting the equivalent of last gen flash storage in it will be practically limiting at a minor price premium, so worse of both worlds in that situation, be like living in a closet.

There must be a way to do a hybrid so games you're currently playing are automatically copied to the smaller SSD in the background, with stuff you've not played for a while relegated to the HDD?

Yeah, it's perfectly possible, the technology exists. SSDs aren't old school ancient direct access ROMs though, they just make loading times more bearable on your typical modern mega budget bloatware title. Resuming stuff already loaded into memory is more closer to that experience, but you still have to get the data into the superfast RAM in the first place :P

Making games smaller and simpler would be a much more easy fix to long loading times.

1 hour ago, K said:

With the next gen of consoles, the one thing they could do to improve the experience over frame rate, resolution, texture size, etc, would be to shift to using SSDs. The loading times in games like Prey, Dishonored 2, Destiny 2, etc feels weirdly archaic, and not quite in keeping with the current standard of having instant-on consoles that drop you straight into a game - it feels incongruous if I can turn on the console and pick up last night's game of GTA V within two seconds, but if I want to start a new game of GTA V, it'll take over two minutes to load. The length of the loading breaks in some games is a bit daunting if I've only got a limited amount of time to play.

The slow load times in Destiny 2 are more to do with server syncing, instancing, validating local files and so on aren't they?

I mean I hope so, cos they're pretty slow otherwise.

I'd imagine all these GaaS type games will have the same issues in the future, probably worse so. Imagine Destiny 12 where you can have 100 players in the same instance... 

3 minutes ago, Giraffetastic said:

The slow load times in Destiny 2 are more to do with server syncing, instancing, validating local files and so on aren't they?

I mean I hope so, cos they're pretty slow otherwise.

I'd imagine all these GaaS type games will have the same issues in the future, probably worse so. Imagine Destiny 12 where you can have 100 players in the same instance... 

I dunno. People on here were saying that the PC version has much shorter hyperspace sequences, which would suggest that faster storage would mean shorter load times, but I guess an all-round faster system would help with the stuff you mention, so possibly it's that too.

Believe there's some wierdness going on with the way data is read from consoles which means they don't quite benefit from the same load time improvements you see from SSD’s on PC. Think there was some DF article speculating on why that'd be. Hopefully it will get sorted come next generation. 

What are the price implications for bundling a 500gb SSD in the next gen consoles? I'm not up to speed on prices at all, but is it even a possibility to use SSD's or at least a hybrid HDD, as Apple have bundled in their computers for a few years?

As to the next gen in general, then MS are being very bullish. I have a feeling that they're looking to turn the industry on it's head. My guess is they're going to release a monster of a next gen console, I wouldn't be surprised if they tip the legendary $599 number and create something which is truly comparable to the high end PC's of the day. I think they'll roll out their streaming gaming service and make everything with an internet connection a potential Xbox NG. Alongside the main console, I think they'll launch a mini console for something like $99, which will come with two controllers, enough juice to run the base OS and of course, it'll run new Xbox games.

This strategy will allow them to have a really high baseline for next gen Xbox games, allowing the hardcore to spring the cash for the added bonus of local play, whilst offering a cheap machine for the masses.

I'd be amazed if this wasn't essentially Sony's tactic for the PS5, but so far they're playing their cards much closer to their chest, which I guess makes sense. They're the top dog this gen and I'm sure they'd be happy if this gen just runs and runs. MS - as others have said - are far more keen to hit the restart button and hit the ground running next gen.

Sony have a tactical advantage, if indeed everyone goes the cloud route next gen, as they can flip a switch and turn every PS4 console on the market into a PS5 streaming device. I guess you could argue that MS could go one further and do the same for Windows, but an app is an app, and Sony could utilise the platform for their streaming app too.

Interesting times ahead. The cloud solves a lot of problems for publishers, from DLC to the second hand market, so it's no surprise this is the route they're going. Sure, I think they'll still be hardware for us die hards, but the market will shrink massively, probably enough to torpedo the viability of high street gaming shops and thus, the second hand market. Yup, we're a long way from those £3.99 cassettes!

50 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

What are the price implications for bundling a 500gb SSD in the next gen consoles? I'm not up to speed on prices at all, but is it even a possibility to use SSD's or at least a hybrid HDD, as Apple have bundled in their computers for a few years?

a 480gb ssd is around £90 - £100, and this has just come down to this, they were this price almost 2 years ago!

a 2tb 2.5inch hdd is £70ish quid

while a 2tb HYBRID drive is £85... and possibly the best price to performance ratio you can put in a ps4 at the mo!

ssd's are not cost effective to put in a console to start with, BUT, allowing a user to upgrade the drive themselves should be an option, like on ps4.

14 hours ago, TehStu said:

Is Intel's new memory cost effective yet?

Optane is so ready for primetime that the co-creator, Micron still don't seem to have released a commercial product based on it and Intel will never sell anybody anything cheap, ever (well I suppose there was that time they were willing to subsidise Atom SoCs for years in some vain attempt to gain a foothold against ARM).

I wish they would subsidise it, as 3D XPoint is bloody great, but also bloody expensive.

On 22/06/2018 at 11:59, Philly said:

Xbox 2?

Xbox Nexus?

Xbox Mix? 

Microsoft Windows Xbox

CPU will be the real big difference in this machine over the xbox one X. GPU wise it will not be a huge bump but the CPU, that will be a big difference. Ryzen is a really good chip, great cheap ones and really good expensive ones. Memory will probably go to 16 gigs just for that extra bit of wiggle room over One X. SSD's are out of question as the price is still high and will likely remain so for the next few years (they haven't dropped in ages).