Jump to content

Xbox Series X | S


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:


Gears 5 1080p 120 is bloody impressive, suggests it will do 1440p60 easily enough so not sure what the worry is?

 

Not specifically that. Just that if a 10.2Tf "4K" console is putting out 1440p games to maintain a certain level of visual fidelity then if a game comes along and does the same on Xbox Series X, where does that leave the Series S?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people are far too hung up on specific resolutions or frame rates. I feel MS just put out some example scalings (4K/60 for X and 1440p/60 for S). But if you push harder on X and drop res or frame rate then that will happen too on S.

 

Anyone worried about that and wanting exact numbers now (or ever) probably shouldn’t bother with an S.

 

So long as MS ensure that S versions are good (not stunning) then itll be fab for most people. But I think the S will be good for ages with its matching CPU.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

 

Not specifically that. Just that if a 10.2Tf "4K" console is putting out 1440p games to maintain a certain level of visual fidelity then if a game comes along and does the same on Xbox Series X, where does that leave the Series S?


A pc with a 3080 can barely run Fortnite @1440 with full ray tracing on - it’s all about balance and MS seem confifdent the drop from 4k to 1440p is the sweet spot for the consoles but of course the S isn’t going to have all the shinies on that the X will do - comparing across machines is a bit silly at this point esp as launch games will be rushed out for that dollar!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Anyone worried about that and wanting exact numbers now (or ever) probably shouldn’t bother with an S.

 

You're right - I think I'm definitely in the Series X audience, but I'm still curious about how they're going to handle it and how things are going to pan out.

 

 

  

Just now, Shimmyhill said:


A pc with a 3080 can barely run Fortnite @1440 with full ray tracing on - it’s all about balance and MS seem confifdent the drop from 4k to 1440p is the sweet spot for the consoles but of course the S isn’t going to have all the shinies on that the X will do - comparing across machines is a bit silly at this point esp as launch games will be rushed out for that dollar!

 

Demon's Souls certainly doesn't look rushed, and the whole point of the Series S is to provide a similar level of graphical fidelity which scales on resolution, rather than other effects. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The x is at least on paper a good bit more powerful than the ps5 (hard to say how much so as Sony are still keeping some hardware details close to their chests) and even the s uses the newer more efficient amd architecture than Sony does, so I wouldn't infer anything for the series x or s from demons souls at this stage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

 

Demon's Souls certainly doesn't look rushed, and the whole point of the Series S is to provide a similar level of graphical fidelity which scales on resolution, rather than other effects. 


It’s more effects resolution - look at Spider-Man on PS5, 4k but ray tracing reflections are much lower res etc. The series S wound just have lower overall Res but everything else will scale down.

 

DS looks decent of course, nice closed arenas so it’s surprising it’s the res it is esp as doesn’t look like it’s using much ray tracing in the previews hence the rushed comment but it could have been an early build etc so who knows really!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jei said:

@reef - I’ll be able to sort you one out at cost price if you have no luck.

 

#savedfromscalpers

That would be amazing indeed, thank you so much for your offer. I’ve been told I’m getting a telephone call back tomorrow from the most senior manager you can find in the Microsoft Store to go through the remaining possible options with me. I’m not holding out much hope after 2.5 hours total on the phone today and being taken up 3 seniority levels. They still refuse to acknowledge that they didn’t actually attempt to take any payment from PayPal, even when provided with that evidence from PayPal (who have been really helpful). When I offered the other cancelled order information, Microsoft simply doubled down stating they have possible no way of knowing how consoles are assigned, just that they are unavailable for purchase. They did admit that the cancelled consoles would not have gone back on sale, despite claiming this morning that was the case, which was their reasoning for why mine is gone, never to be retrieved.
 

This has been quite an upsetting experience, I really want to thank all you kind folks here, checking this thread throughout the day has been a great help indeed.

 

@Jei Can I please let you know in a couple of days once I’ve hopefully spoken to Microsoft tomorrow?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

And Gears 5 120fps mode is 1080 on S, apparently. That and Demon’s Souls being 1440p on PS5 make me wonder how realistic that 1440p target on Series S is,

 

tenor.gif

 

 

I would fully expect a 120fps mode to run at 1080p! Its the norm , high fps, low res, high res, low fps...

 

Its why on PC land we have 1440p 144hz monitors, they are this awesome middleground!

 

But, to look at your example, a 1080 120 is literally pushing 248million pixels a second, whereas a 1440 60 is 221million pixels a second...

 

So if an XsS is pushing more pixels than a PS5...well... :huh:

 

could mean the likely target of gears 5 is 1440p 60 on XsS, and 4k60 on XsX, apart from multiplayer, where you may have some options

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

And Gears 5 120fps mode is 1080 on S, apparently. That and Demon’s Souls being 1440p on PS5 make me wonder how realistic that 1440p target on Series S is, if we might see Series X games drop to that sort of resolution to add other detail/effects.

Why wouldn't it be able to do 1440p at 60fps?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Nice size comparison, I thought:

 

O1K5Os3.jpg

 

It's photos like these that bring me back towards the Series S again (after wobbling a bit on my preorder).

 

I prefer it night and day both on size and design (especially with the X horizontal like how I'm going to have to have it - it's just a big black lump). The Series S is basically everything I want except for that nagging "you will be plugging it into a 4K and want all the shinies" devil on my shoulder. I'm going to cling onto my S order until we get some sort of DF comparison and then make the final decision.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deerokus said:

The x is at least on paper a good bit more powerful than the ps5 (hard to say how much so as Sony are still keeping some hardware details close to their chests) and even the s uses the newer more efficient amd architecture than Sony does, so I wouldn't infer anything for the series x or s from demons souls at this stage. 

 

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure digital foundry brought something up regarding this in one of their xbox series x videos saying that they are all using the same RDNA2 gpu architechture if this is what you are referring to?

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Wow when did new console threads turn into PC like threads? :) Remember when it was about the hot new games coming to new hardware. Just saying :D

 

When the consoles turned into PCs.

 

Also that's rather the trouble, there aren't a lot of hot new games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ucci said:

Could you make a PC as small as the XSX and as powerful? **RUNS BACK INTO CAVE**

its funny you say that...

 

but, as the ps5 is 10.5 litres, and this is 13ish...not only can you make a comparable pc...its much...much... more powerful (*tbf, this is like 2 XsX's ontop of each other)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, friedgold said:

I have literally no idea what you lot are talking about, but I can't wait to use whatever those numbers mean to play KOTOR and Fallout New Vegas.

YES!!!!!

 

i cant wait to play the 8k 60 version of the original xbox classic KOTOR :D...maybe some 8k panza dragoon orta too!  (could you imagine!?!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

its funny you say that...

 

but, as the ps5 is 10.5 litres, and this is 13ish...not only can you make a comparable pc...its much...much... more poweerful

 

 

The XSX is under 7 litres. Bet it's a damn sight quieter too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Why wouldn't it be able to do 1440p at 60fps?

 

I don't know. I'm just wondering out loud and half the forum has felt the need to defend the Series S. All I'm saying is that if the Series S targets 1440p, and Series X targets 4K with the same level of visual fidelity, what happens if devs target Series X games at 1440p?

 

I don't think anyone except the devs and MS really know the answer to this yet. I'm excited to see how things pan out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lorfarius said:

This is quite a worrying problem, seems legit as Giant Bomb are having the problem with Jeff burning his hand on the storage:

 

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/xbox-series-x-release-hot-rumor/

 

ima be honest, if i put my hand on the piece of tempered glass next to my gfx card on me pc, its hot as fuck! (genuinly could scald if i left it ther, but...why would i!?) ...what do you expect!?!

 

These are not shit components in next gen systems, both the XsX and PS5 are using decent components, which do in fact, generate a shit ton of heat! its like desktop levels of heat, not 5 year old laptops.

 

Have you ever touched a mobile after using it for like intense video streaming? never mind games!

 

AND...

 

WHY the fuck are you touching it!?! :P

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

This is quite a worrying problem, seems legit as Giant Bomb are having the problem with Jeff burning his hand on the storage:

 

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/xbox-series-x-release-hot-rumor/

 

That's a bit worrying - I keep my console in a storage cupboard. Plenty of room, but it's still a relatively confined space in comparison to a living room.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do they need to add ‘caution, hot!’ messages like we now have stuck on coffee cups?

 

It’s obvious to us, these things are as small as possible and pretty high end - they’ll get hot. To others, not so much. 
 

If I decide to go for another Xbox (I don’t currently have one) I definitely prefer the S, in every way except that measly amount of storage! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.