Xbox Series X | S

12 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Aren't they sold out? 

Well, the devices. Unless you meant the games. 

Meant the games mate. You could (maybe you still can) get Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Watchdogs Legion and a few others for £40 off EBay with a 20% off code. Think most of the hardware will be for launch in shops now, to drum up hype and positive press (COVID restrictions permitting).

It’s no secret that they’re not really ready to release the consoles. COVID has really fucked things up but both companies were past the point of being able to delay the machines. There was too much at stake. 

If you’re buying one then you’re in it for the long game. 

11 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

It’s no secret that they’re not really ready to release the consoles. COVID has really fucked things up but both companies were past the point of being able to delay the machines. There was too much at stake. 

If you’re buying one then you’re in it for the long game. 

Yeah, like I say, I get that side of things. However, Demon’s Souls, Astro Bot and Miles Morales all look great on PS5 and we’ve had decent footage of them for months.

I don’t know much about the technical side of games development plus I grew up playing arcade cabs and consoles, so don’t know much about PCs and shit outside of music production. However, I thought one of Microsoft’s things this gen was scaling games over their systems. So why would there be such a gulf between PC footage and console footage? Can we expect to see close to PC graphics and performance on these early titles, or will it be more likely to be slightly better PS4/Xbox One versions?

This is an Ubi summary, apparently.

Watch Dogs: Legion

Xbox Series X/S:

• Raytracing
  • Faster load times

PS5:

• Raytracing
  • Tempest 3D Audio
  • Adaptive triggers support
  • Faster load times

Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Xbox Series X/S:

• 60fps at 4K on Xbox Series X
  • Faster load times

PS5:

• 60fps at 4K
  • Tempest 3D Audio Engine
  • Faster load times

Immortals Fenyx Rising

Xbox Series X/S:

• HDR
  • Dolby Atmos and spatial audio technology
  • Faster load times

PS5:

• 60fps at 4K
  • HDR
  • Tempest 3D Audio engine
  • PS5 DualSense haptic feedback
  • Faster load times

Far Cry 6

Xbox Series X/S:

PS5:

• 60fps at 4K

Riders Republic

Xbox Series X/S:

• HDR support
  • Faster load times

PS5:

• 60fps in 4K
  • HDR support
  • Faster load times

Just Dance 2021

"Xbox One will be able to download their game to the Xbox Series X/S version at no additional cost. Just Dance 2021 for PlayStation 4 will be backwards compatible on PlayStation 5".

Rainbow Six Siege

Xbox Series X/S and PS5:

• 120fps at 4K

For Honor

Xbox Series X and PS5:

• 60fps in 4K

Xbox Series S:

• 60fps in 1080p

16 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Gears 5 looks better than a 3090 pc card. If you take that as a base point rather than all the imperfections you keep seeing the future is bright.

gow5.jpg

A selection of pics showing characters feet is not really helping me out much! Lol. 

I watched that official vid in 4K and the Gears 5 footage looked awful and nowhere near stuff like Ghost of Tsushima or TLOU2 in 1080p. Not a dig at Xbox, it’s just they’re the only references I have being PS4/Switch this gen. I’ll check some more footage out. 

The vid starts by them saying something like “next gen means rich, vibrant and dynamic new worlds.......and we’re going to show you that today”. He then shows some old games and an incredibly ropey looking Dirt 5. He says there are amazing games about to come out such as - Assassin’s Creed Valhalla. Yeah? Show us some footage then mate! Lol. Something just feels off to me. 

I’ve no doubt that long term, both the Series X and PS5 will be awesome consoles with some truly great games. I’m just talking about the launch stuff really and I guess trying to weigh up why the PC footage of stuff, seems to be being shown off with no problems, yet the console stuff looks ropey, even though we’re 2-3 weeks from launch. Again, the lack of any third party PS5 stuff seems well odd.

@Uncle Mike Yeah, I know a lot of the specs etc it’s just there’s not much footage to back them up. The supposed YouTube Series X footage of Assassin’s Creed, seems to have massive frame rate problems and there’s a huge discrepancy in graphical quality between the numerous vids. Plus there’s no PS5 footage at all! Legions runs at 4K/30fps with Ray Tracing apparently, but the PC footage is 60fps, so it’s hard to get a clear picture of the console versions.

I guess at the end of the day, we’re just going to have to wait things out and see what gets released. 

29 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

This is an Ubi summary, apparently.

Is there actually any functional difference between the 'Tempest 3D Audio Engine' and the Dolby Atmos/Windows Sonic headphone drivers on the Xbox? Aren't they all just simulating surround sound in stereo or have I missed something? It seems weird that it's touted as such a selling point.

22 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I give up then. You've made your mind up that its all going to be rubbish. I hope you can stop shitting in my cornflakes at least in the week before launch. 

You are entering broken record territory now. Pretty sure you've made the exact same complaints at least 3 times today. 

Woah there mate! I’ve just checked out the Digital Foundry Gears 5 tech demo in 4K. Looks fucking awesome! That official Microsoft vid is a proper bag of bollocks with very poor quality footage. Totally puzzled why they would release it, as it’s not doing the Series S/X any favours. Just for the record, I’ve only been on tonight and mentioned the vid and the third party launch games on BOTH Xbox and PS5. Genuinely, in the dark as what to expect from them, and I think expecting customers to buy blind is more than a bit shit. That’s what I was enquiring about - the third party launch games.

19 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Is there actually any functional difference between the 'Tempest 3D Audio Engine' and the Dolby Atmos/Windows Sonic headphone drivers on the Xbox? Aren't they all just simulating surround sound in stereo or have I missed something? It seems weird that it's touted as such a selling point.

Tempest Audio Tech does 3D audio on standard stereo speakers and stereo headphones. Not sure about the other, thought that was just for special headphones with 3D audio capabilities?

Edit - Apparently it’s essentially the same. Not sure about through speakers but Dolby Atmos does 3D audio through any standard headphones too. I guess Sony just didn’t want to have to pay out money for using Dolby’s tech, same goes for the lack of Dolby Vision on PS5.

Windows sonic has simulated 3D audio  on any basic headphones for about 4 years.

Dolby atmos does similar but works far better on  proper 3D headphones.

Don't know about the Sony tempest stuff.  Gotta take Mark (9.3TF=10.3 TF) Cerny's word for it.

10 hours ago, BarryL85 said:

12:20 19 games installed to internal storage, Inc Cyberpunk, Gears 5, Assassin's Creed, Doom Eternal, Dirt 5 (and a few small ones like Cuphead Left 4 Dead from 360) 248gb left.  

Some apps too,  but they're generally of no consequence,  size wise  AFAIK.

Seems... OK? 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - 2 weeks to go
7 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Gears 5 looks better than a 3090 pc card. If you take that as a base point rather than all the imperfections you keep seeing the future is bright.

gow5.jpg

The 3090 is better - it’s tapering the screen space ambient reflection more according to the properties of the surface.

Yeah, quite clearly much better.

The Series X one is what every big budget game is going to look like for the next five years, though.

Every surface a fucking ten pin bowling lane. 

11 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

This the only bit I can be arsed understanding. Footle I hate you. You are a fucking knob.

For the last 6 months you have continually shat on my posts with your all knowing bullshit.

You know one of the best ones ?

I posted in the forum a tweet suggesting MS were preparing their shareholders to be ready for more studio acquisitions.

You were instantly on top of me insisting it was a stamdard phrase that meant nothing.

Then they bought Bethesda.

Fucking tosser

It is a standard phrase. Cheer up. You’ve a console coming in 14 days.

7 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

gow5.jpg

...*sigh*....as already covered a few pages back, when this did the rounds first...it isnt.

The XsX is using the PC Ultra settings which kinda gives a mirror like SSR effect. The insane settings create an actual approximation of a material to give a realistic effect of reflection on different surfaces.

However, it is still a massive upgrade to the almost non existent SSR on the one X!

If you don't have an HDR TV to hand, but have a flagship phone (from either Samsung or Apple) that is at most three years old, watch this video on that. It looks incredible.

My only question is whether it's a patch that will also work on the Xbox One S and X versions - whilst there's no hardware reason why it wouldn't, I appreciate that they might have gated it behind the new consoles.

I also want to see how SSX3 looks in auto-HDR.

51 minutes ago, Isaac said:

If you don't have an HDR TV to hand, but have a flagship phone (from either Samsung or Apple) that is at most three years old, watch this video on that. It looks incredible.

My only question is whether it's a patch that will also work on the Xbox One S and X versions - whilst there's no hardware reason why it wouldn't, I appreciate that they might have gated it behind the new consoles.

I also want to see how SSX3 looks in auto-HDR.

Rllmuk has already shat all over this too as a gimmick that is rubbish. Keep up.;)

14 hours ago, Hitcher said:

The disc will need to be in anytime you want to play that game.

Yeah and I'm ok with that, I tend to be playing through one big game on disc but now I can hop out for some gamepass or online thing without waiting 3 minutes for something to load and then another 3 minutes to get back into the first game.

And to be fair, even if it reloads, it'll now take a lot less than 3 minutes.

9 hours ago, Yiggy said:

There’s nothing too exciting but with Valhalla, Legion, Yakuza, Cyberpunk, Gears Tactics, GOW update etc there should be enough initially. 

Devil May Cry 5 is also getting a very solid next-gen upgrade with new character and all.

Destiny 2 gets an update early December.

Control Ultimate Edition gets an update by the end of the year, should also be spectacular if it includes Ray-Tracing at 1080p60 and 4k30. 

WRC 9 is also getting a next-gen update but I don't know when it is scheduled. 

Personally I also hope Dirt Rally 2 will get a next-gen patch to keep us buy until Dirt Rally 3 since it is more or less a game-as-a-service, same for F1 2020.

7 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

12:20 19 games installed to internal storage, Inc Cyberpunk, Gears 5, Assassin's Creed, Doom Eternal, Dirt 5 (and a few small ones like Cuphead Left 4 Dead from 360) 248gb left.  

It says "All storage" which could include the 1TB expansion card. But looking at the titles it could work within +/- 550gb (807 - 248gb)... most are 40-50gb-ish currently.

I think the first year to 18 months will see a lot more upgrades to last gen games than we expect. Similarly to complete next gen remasters such updates should bolster back catalogue games and encourage more sales which might be a lot easier than getting new games out the door. Particularly if the dev tools allow such upgrades to be relatively simple compared to finishing their next projects to get the cash in.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic