Xbox Series X | S

1 hour ago, 5R7 said:

...*sigh*....as already covered a few pages back, when this did the rounds first...it isnt.

The XsX is using the PC Ultra settings which kinda gives a mirror like SSR effect. The insane settings create an actual approximation of a material to give a realistic effect of reflection on different surfaces.

However, it is still a massive upgrade to the almost non existent SSR on the one X!

To be fair, when I viewed the pictures on my phone I too thought that the XSX was the better looking but viewing on a big screen it's really obvious what the PC is doing and looks much nicer.

52 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

It says "All storage" which could include the 1TB expansion card. But looking at the titles it could work within +/- 550gb (807 - 248gb)... most are 40-50gb-ish currently.

There is no storage card attached at that point in the video.

Two weeks to go and I continue to agonise over SSD space!

Forza 4 75GB

Destiny 2 109GB

Halo MCC 102GB

Halo 5 99GB

Creed Valhalla ???

DBZ 39GB

FFXV 112GB

Creed Odyssey 66GB

Hitman 2 90GB

692GB

Do I get an external SSD? But then eventually I will run out of One X games and it will become redundant...

Do I get the Seagate card? It's bloody expensive and is 1 extra Terry really worth the money?

Hmmmm.

2 minutes ago, tnman said:

Forza 4 75GB

Destiny 2 109GB

Halo MCC 102GB

Halo 5 99GB

Creed Valhalla ???

DBZ 39GB

FFXV 112GB

Creed Odyssey 66GB

Hitman 2 90GB

692GB

Do I get an external SSD? But then eventually I will run out of One X games and it will become redundant...

Do I get the Seagate card? It's bloody expensive and is 1 extra Terry really worth the money?

Hmmmm.

I've ordered a cheapish 2TB SSD with the bridge Digital Foundry recommended. It'll be fast shuttling games of and on it, and back compat games will still get the benefit of faster load times.

9 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Gears 5 looks better than a 3090 pc card. If you take that as a base point rather than all the imperfections you keep seeing the future is bright.

gow5.jpg

So the new boxes are basically 

image.png.5dc187f8720193252c74eba1099bcde6.png

I think an overzealous ray-tracing thread may be in the offing; how many interiors are going to look like Donald Trump's bedroom in a year's time?

3 minutes ago, Bobbi Champagne Jr said:

I've ordered a cheapish 2TB SSD with the bridge Digital Foundry recommended. It'll be fast shuttling games of and on it, and back compat games will still get the benefit of faster load times.

Aren't you bothered about it being redundant in a year or more's time?

5 minutes ago, Bobbi Champagne Jr said:

Which did you get?

It won't be redundant @tnman it'll still be useful for shuttling games back and forth quickly (rather than redownloading), plus you can use it to store game recordings and play XB1 games from.

2 minutes ago, tnman said:

Aren't you bothered about it being redundant in a year or more's time?

No, it should be fast enough where shuttling games on and off it isn't going to bother me. I've still got my regular external drive from my One X that I'll use as an archive so I don't have to delete and redownload games if it gets to that point, but I don't think I'll really need it.

2 minutes ago, Pob said:

Which did you get?

It won't be redundant @tnman it'll still be useful for shuttling games back and forth quickly (rather than redownloading), plus you can use it to store game recordings and play XB1 games from.

This one - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B088FKGBNM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I missed it being on sale unfortunately, as at one point it was £135.

32 minutes ago, tnman said:

Forza 4 75GB

Destiny 2 109GB

Halo MCC 102GB

Halo 5 99GB

Creed Valhalla ???

DBZ 39GB

FFXV 112GB

Creed Odyssey 66GB

Hitman 2 90GB

692GB

Hmmmm.

Suppose it depends how you game really? 

I have a 1TB SSD in my PC for games and bits. I only have 2 games on the go at any one time. One more in depth game and a smaller indie type title and flick between them. Odd time I do download a demo or a game off gamepass to try out. I then delete it if I've not played it in a couple of weeks.

Just a change in mindset really I guess or just stump up extra cash for storage if you don't want to adapt your behaviour. Can't play everything at once. And if you really need to play something again just leave it to download again overnight or during the day whilst doing other stuff. Or give a bit of time MS game streaming will be online so instant play if you need a fix right at that point. Saves money on expensive additional storage anyway.

30 minutes ago, Steven said:

I think an overzealous ray-tracing thread may be in the offing; how many interiors are going to look like Donald Trump's bedroom in a year's time?

Strewn with KFC buckets and soaked in piss?

1 hour ago, tnman said:

Forza 4 75GB

Destiny 2 109GB

Halo MCC 102GB

Halo 5 99GB

Creed Valhalla ???

DBZ 39GB

FFXV 112GB

Creed Odyssey 66GB

Hitman 2 90GB

692GB

Hmmmm.

Destiny two is being shrunk and ff15 is utter shite. Just saved you 250gb and a lot of cash 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - 2 weeks to go!
25 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Both are on Game Pass so I don't think money plays a factor. FFXV seems to be massively divisive. I found it fine, but like most FFs I couldn't give a flying fuck about the protagonist.

Sorry I meant money in not buying external storage 

I think I'm going to hold off buying any external storage for as long as possible. I've got a 4tb USB drive at the moment and so any fast storage will represent a significant drop in storage space anyway, since I won't be buying that much space. As a result, I may as well see how well I can put up with the internal storage and my existing USB drive.

That initial load time will be gone with quick resume so part of the load time goes, no matter what you're playing (if the game is in regular rotation), so that's something.

Also, in a few months time, there will be plenty of tried and tested models of drivre and adapter and user experiences to draw upon when making cost to performance decisions.  I've got loads of USB drives anyway too, no need to add to the pile prematurely. 

Tbh, I reckon I'll end up getting the official card and having done with it, but having just been reminded the house insurance is due, next month is expensive enough as is!

15 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Tbh, I reckon I'll end up getting the official card and having done with it, but having just been reminded the house insurance is due, next month is expensive enough as is!

Going from past experiences with third party stuff I stopped buying any of it way back on the 360 with play and charge kits. Just bought the official things - a little more expensive but they were great.

Storage is slightly different I guess however if MS offer official storage solutions I'd probably go with those. Simply because it will have been tested thoroughly (well that's the theory anyway!). 

Not that I'll be getting another Xbox for a while mind! I am eyeing up a Series S because I like the form factor and do hanker after playing a range of my older XBox One, 360 and XBox games. See how it goes with my PC probably got more than enough to keep me busy on there. I can also rebuy some of my old content on it too now that it seems to becoming available.

2 hours ago, tnman said:

Forza 4 75GB

Destiny 2 109GB

Halo MCC 102GB

Halo 5 99GB

Creed Valhalla ???

DBZ 39GB

FFXV 112GB

Creed Odyssey 66GB

Hitman 2 90GB

692GB

Do I get an external SSD?...

This is still not a full Xbox, though! You've still got space after all that!

But an 'archive' USB SSD does seem like worth having to shuffle things between the archive. A 100GB game would take around 6 hours to download on my connection, but at worst I've got it for the next day. 

I guess you just have to be a bit pre-emptive. No doubt I'll buy an expansion but I think I'm going to have to really feel like I need it before I spend the money, hopefully it'll come down in price. I am kind of glad I've not taken the 10th off though. I'm off on the 11th, so basically the actual release day is just going to be the 'download all the things' day.

Quick Q - At least for the Xbox One, when you download stuff do you get to manage the order or is it just a race? I will probably end up queuing about 4 or 5 things to download but would want, say, Forza to come in first so I can have a quick go, rather than something like Yakuza which I won't start until I have a good run of time to play.

I think my first big single player game is going to have to be Cyberpunk.

AC: Vahalla looks troubled, and visually not much better than Odyssey, and really I don't really care for Watch Dogs - so I guess that's all that's left.

I just hope MS are paying bucket loads of cash to CD Project Red to get that Next Gen patch out asap.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic