Xbox Series X | S

2 hours ago, Pob said:

Did I hear rumours that MS working on some kind of system-level framerate unlocker, similar to the auto-HDR thing?

It was alluded to in the announcement of BC, or shortly afterwards, something like "you will be able to play your old games at up to 120fps, sometimes, even when the game originally frame rate locked."

I don't believe it's been mentioned since though, and I don't think they ever specifically said it was a system level unlocker.  

I think given other things we've heard since, what was meant was devs being asked to make the change, it likely only being a half dozen lines of code in most cases, and potential for MS themselves to make the change and publish the unlocked game if need be, though what would constitute 'need' and what devs and publishers would think about that is another story.

Given the recent DF video showing more games in BC, including some with a frame lock running at 30 on One X and Series X, I suspect that's just the way it's going to be...

It would be good to know more though.

26 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Yeh just downloads in the order you download them 

You can pause specific downloads so you can prioritise things you want first in that way, even after starting a queue of downloads. 

14 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I just hope MS are paying bucket loads of cash to CD Project Red to get that Next Gen patch out asap.

Same, I'm surprised they haven't announced as much, or thrown some money to get extra engineers on the job. Maybe there just aren't enough people who don't have their hands full or maybe the marketing deals preclude them getting any kind of advantage. 

Can I clarify a few things?

I know that new games that are built / optimised for series X need to be installed to the internal SSD in order to run. 

I know that all games can be stored on a USB drive and then copied over to the internal. Xbox one / 360 games can be run directly from USB. If you do this will they still benefit from increased frame rate etc? Is the only benefit to copying those games over improved  load times?

Will an Xbox One game like gears 5 that could previously run off external USB suddenly require to be run off the internal when it receives a series X update? 

So technically a game like Cyberpunk could be run off external storage as it has no optimisation for next gen yet?

A game that has a series x patch needs to be run from the internal drive. A game that has just benefited from backwards compatibility enhancements (which may include auto hdr, framerate improvements, load time improvements because we’re not in Jaguar country anymore) can be on either.

Gears will need to be internal. 

8 minutes ago, footle said:

A game that has a series x patch needs to be run from the internal drive. A game that has just benefited from backwards compatibility enhancements (which may include auto hdr, framerate improvements, load time improvements because we’re not in Jaguar country anymore) can be on either.

Gears will need to be internal. 

Brilliant and is there a way to know if a game has received a next generation patch? I take it that if it says for S/X on the box off etc in the description then that’s it?

2 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Brilliant and is there a way to know if a game has received a next generation patch? I take it that if it says for S/X on the box off etc in the description then that’s it?

Presumably. Enhanced for series x/s, or equivalent.

4 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

If it says Smart Delivery that's basically a guarantee that there are current and next gen versions of the game available.

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Destiny two is being shrunk and ff15 is utter shite. Just saved you 250gb and a lot of cash 

58 minutes ago, cowfields said:

But an 'archive' USB SSD does seem like worth having to shuffle things between the archive. A 100GB game would take around 6 hours to download on my connection, but at worst I've got it for the next day. 

And yet the expansion card still tempts me so I don't have to think about it.

Lazy twat tax.

Just now, HarryBizzle said:

Outside of renders it looks so much worse.

I love the Series X design in both orientations (and don't see the problem of the unremovable stand). The PS5 is a weird thing which might grow on me, but I definitely think it looks much better in horizontal orientation in these real world photos. The thing I hate most is the shiny inner bodywork strip... looks so cheap. 

The PS5 looks like someone put icing on the top and bottom of an Xbox SX then took a rolling pin to it and got called away before they finished the job :lol:

6 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

Yip, as soon as the light refracts off it, looks all warped, funky and cheap.

The good thing is that this is easily fixed with a cheap decal strip. Also prevents scratches from prying in USB cables when you're drunk. 

31 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

Yip, as soon as the light refracts off it, looks all warped, funky and cheap.

It won't last long.  Looks like that shiny plastic that somehow scratches up just by you looking at it..

1 minute ago, Freeman said:

It won't last long.  Looks like that shiny plastic that somehow scratches up just by you looking at it..

Yeah, even with the softest of dusters as well. I was horrified after I dusted my PS3 with a microfiber the first time round.

6 hours ago, Isaac said:

If you don't have an HDR TV to hand, but have a flagship phone (from either Samsung or Apple) that is at most three years old, watch this video on that. It looks incredible.

I watched this in HDR and also thought for the most part it looks superb, and will only get better over time. I can only think those who were not impressed didnt bother to watch in HDR.

7 hours ago, Isaac said:

If you don't have an HDR TV to hand, but have a flagship phone (from either Samsung or Apple) that is at most three years old, watch this video on that. It looks incredible.

For some reason, YouTube on Roku isn't HDR, or at least the HDR10/Dolby Vision logo doesn't flash up as it normally does. But I just watched on my Note9 and it looks brilliant. HDR in gaming is new to me, I only briefly got to try it when my PS4 was connected to my TV. Sunlight coming out from scenery in Mass Effect Andromeda was excellent. 

Really looking forward to this.

Just now, TehStu said:

For some reason, YouTube on Roku isn't HDR, or at least the HDR10/Dolby Vision logo doesn't flash up as it normally does. But I just watched on my Note9 and it looks brilliant. HDR in gaming is new to me, I only briefly got to try it when my PS4 was connected to my TV. Sunlight coming out from scenery in Mass Effect Andromeda was excellent. 

Really looking forward to this.

that is weird as my TV has Roku built in software (yes its a cheapo Hisense 4k HDR tv :D ) and when I play Youtube HDR the HDR symbol comes up in the corner.

And obviously I know I may as well not bother unless its LG OLED but I didn't have just over a grand to spend on a new tv :p

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic